2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

• WAS
    Peter Skoronski
    OT Northwestern

• WAS
    Drew Sanders
    LB Arkansas

• WAS
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• WAS
    Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson
    CB TCU

• WAS
    Ronnie Hickman
    S Ohio State

• WAS
    Deuce Vaughn
    RB Kansas State

• WAS
    Aidan O'Connell
    QB Purdue

• WAS
    Spencer Anderson
    OC Maryland

Edited by turtle28

I'm really enjoying the "build up draft capital so you can trade up for Caleb Williams next year" takes. Whoever ends up with that pick is not trading it. This is the closest thing to Luck we've seen. If you wanted Williams the teams should've been dismantled and anything of value traded away. 

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Seems pretty solid outside of the unnecessary 5th round safety I think. I saw the school so maybe that's why, otherwise I'm sure there were better options to grab there. 

It's the 5th round, I took the best player on the board on the SIM mock draft I was using. Hickman is a SS/Buffalo Nickel guy since we’re using that so much I think it makes sense to keep a 5th safety as we have the last 2 years. 

Heck, a lot of people have contemplated taking Brian Branch in round 1 to replace Bobby McCain as the Buffalo Nickle/shot guy. I'm at least waiting until round 5 to add a 5th safety bc I want to see how Percy Butler develops.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's the 5th round, I took the best player on the board on the SIM mock draft I was using. Hickman is a SS/Buffalo Nickel guy since we’re using that so much I think it makes sense to keep a 5th safety as we have the last 2 years. 

Heck, a lot of people have contemplated taking Brian Branch in round 1 to replace Bobby McCain as the Buffalo Nickle/shot guy. I'm at least waiting until round 5 to add a 5th safety bc I want to see how Percy Butler develops.

Like I said, I'd be curious to have seen the board, because I'm sure there were better options than a 5th safety who is pigeon holed to one position that we might not even have after this season. 

33 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm really enjoying the "build up draft capital so you can trade up for Caleb Williams next year" takes. Whoever ends up with that pick is not trading it. This is the closest thing to Luck we've seen. If you wanted Williams the teams should've been dismantled and anything of value traded away. 

It's not realistic for whoever is saying that. I guess maybe Sam Howell is so bad that we end up with the #1 pick, but I think it's unlikely given the weapons around him. Also, if Sam does have a truly awful September, I think Rivera will do what he did to Haskins and turn to the veteran Brissett so at worst we’d be a team slightly below .500 again.

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Like I said, I'd be curious to have seen the board, because I'm sure there were better options than a 5th safety who is pigeon holed to one position that we might not even have after this season. 

He was the top player available when we picked when I was using:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

I didn't draft him bc he went to OSU. As for if we’d use a SS who can play some WLB in nickel situations after this season if Rivera is gone, that argument really doesn't hold water. All teams use 5 DBs most of the game now. Heck, we as a franchise first started doing that when we drafted Sua Cravens in 2016. 

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

A thought I had was that to me RR’s some of his player selections are insurance picks. P. Mathis was insurance for D. Payne and J. Dotson was an insurance pick for C. Samuel, so I totally think a DE is in play at 16 for C. Young. 

Eh, I don't buy the bolded. They wanted three unique WR weapons imo. 

Tried to come up with trade down scenarios based on teams rumored to want to move up. 

The Saints:

1) Washington trades the #16 pick and the #97 pick for #29 and #40
This is an interesting one. Neither team gains or loses the number of picks. Washington can now get two guys that will be Day 1 contributors and still have the #47 pick. Downside is not another depth pick until 118.

2) Washington trades the #16 pick for #29, #71 and a 2024 3rd. 
A pretty far drop to only pick up a 3rd rounder this year, but add some ammo for next year. 

The Bucs:

Washington trades #16 to Tampa Bay for #19 and #82.
This is so TB can leap frog Detroit to get Will Levis if he drops. Just a thought. 

The Chiefs: 
1) Washington trades #16 and #193 to the Chiefs for #31, #63, #95, and #178
This is probably too much ammo of picks for the Chiefs to give up.

2) Washington trades #16 to the Chiefs for #31, #63 and a 2024 2nd rounder. 
Under this, they hold on to two more current picks now and push a probable late 2nd rounder for next year.

The Jags: 

1) Washington trades the #16 pick for #24 and #56.
We might have to throw in something like the 193rd pick as well, but it's similar to the move up into the 2nd type of deals.

2) Washington trades the #16 pick and the #233rd pick for #24, #81, #121, #127
A move to get a plethora of picks.

The Bills:

They would have similar moves as the Jags and Saints. 

• Like 1

I like a lot of those trade back options. 

I think the most likely may be the Bills or Chiefs. Pretty complete teams that need higher-end talents to keep up in the arms race more than they need a bunch of developmental depth. 

Something like #27 and #59 from BUF is basically dead-on according to the trade value charts, and I’d probably do that. If what I keep hearing/seeing about both Dawand Jones and Anton Harrison falling into the late 1st or 2nd is true, I think I’d absolutely do that deal. 

I don’t know that I would take Darnell Wright or Broderick Jones over Anton/Dawand straight up — but if you give me a 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal for the latter guys, it’s a no-brainer for me. I do wish we could get a little closer to pick 50, where I think there’s a load of fringe 1st round talent left, but I think we’d still be able to get a quality player there. 

McShay/Kiper did their big “back and forth” feature where they alternate making the picks through Round 3. 

They had us coming away with OT Darnell Wright, CB Kelee Ringo, and TE Zack Kuntz. 

This would be a pretty good draft for me. You get your higher-floor RT type at 16, then you get two elite athletes with high ceilings at need positions after that. I’ve been down on Ringo throughout the season — but when you have size, long arms, and speed, you can always be molded into something by NFL coaching. I hated him at 16 (or higher, like people were previously suggesting) but at 47, the kid is well worth the gamble. Similar with Kuntz. You’re the best athlete ever recorded at your position? And it’s a position where athletic traits often coincide with untapped star potential? Okay, we’ll roll the dice. 

Still leaves us awfully dry in terms of an upside edge rusher, any LBs at all, and perhaps a pass-catching RB or a slot WR who can return kicks. But it’s a good start. Can’t fill all the needs (wants?) without having more picks, but that would be solid for standing pat.