2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-ideal-top-two-picks-for-every-team 

I don't overly disagree with this. I'm not as high on Musgrave, but also might be dead wrong about him. This would be a pretty good 1-2. The downside is the lack of a guard. 

I'd much rather have Sam LaPorta. His movement in the open field reminds me of Jordan Reed. 

Maybe we should just field all weapons for Sam Howell and not worry about the OL like we did last year. How’d that work out?

If we don't take an OL in round 1 or 2, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. 

I remain much more comfortable with the weapons we have around Howell than I do about the OL that's in front of him blocking to make sure he can get the ball to the explosive weapons we already have.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 2:37 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’d be concerned bc our OL isn't built up enough to consistently open holes for our running backs. It would also be the 3rd out of 4 seasons since Rivera was hired that we drafted a new starting RB which seems like overkill to me.

I understand Bijan Robinson is talented, I just worry about the holes we have. We have two Rbs right now who are different but complement each other well in what they do.

We need the blocking upfront so that our QB, RBs, TEs & WRs can succeed. If you don't have the blocking then no running back is going anywhere.

We had 1700 yards rushing last year behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Just imagine what our young RBs could do if we had a better RG & with the upgrade of Wiley at RT?

I think upgrading the OL is still the better way to go. I'd like to be able to draft the OT/OG from NW to start at RG   at #16 overall or Torrence in a trade down or one of the OTs & move Wylie to RG but if not that, I think definitely in round 2 you have to take an OL.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d be concerned bc our OL isn't built up enough to consistently open holes for our running backs. It would also be the 3rd out of 4 seasons since Rivera was hired that we drafted a new starting RB which seems like overkill to me.

I understand Bijan Robinson is talented, I just worry about the holes we have. We have two Rbs right now who are different but complement each other well in what they do.

We need the blocking upfront so that our QB, RBs, TEs & WRs can succeed. If you don't have the blocking then no running back is going anywhere.

We had 1700 yards rushing last year behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Just imagine what our young RBs could do if we had a better RG & with the upgrade of Wiley at RT?

I think upgrading the OL is still the better way to go. I'd like to be able to draft the OT/OG from NW to start at RG   at #16 overall or Torrence in a trade down or one of the OTs & move Wylie to RG but if not that, I think definitely in round 2 you have to take an OL.

You can take a OG in the second round. Steve Avila will almost certainly be there. They aren't benching Leno and they rushed out to overpay Wylie so he's absolutely starting. Nick Gates is well paid and so is Rhoullier so either of them is starting at center plus there's Larsen who they love. Cosmi is starting at RG so what are these plans we have for a first round pick on the OL? Everyone keeps saying OL but Rivera clearly said they went and did what they did in free agency so they weren't forced to do anything in the draft. Andrew Norwell, Chris Paul and Saadiq Charles are all still on the roster as well. I don't think Rivera sees the OL as as big a problem now as everyone else does. 

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can take a OG in the second round. Steve Avila will almost certainly be there. They aren't benching Leno and they rushed out to overpay Wylie so he's absolutely starting. Nick Gates is well paid and so is Rhoullier so either of them is starting at center plus there's Larsen who they love. Cosmi is starting at RG so what are these plans we have for a first round pick on the OL? Everyone keeps saying OL but Rivera clearly said they went and did what they did in free agency so they weren't forced to do anything in the draft. Andrew Norwell, Chris Paul and Saadiq Charles are all still on the roster as well. I don't think Rivera sees the OL as as big a problem now as everyone else does. 

Your logic makes perfect sense to me but I could apply the same to the RB position.  They seemed to like Brian Robinson and took him just last year, plus he was a feel good story coming back.  They always seem to telegraph their first round pick by not addressing the position at all in free agency, and that would be either TE or CB here. We don't really have a legitimate starter at TE anymore and Fuller is entering the final year of his current contract (and we know how they love to not resign people). 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I do agree with what you are saying, I don't think Rivera sees it as a need either, but I think people are more so saying we need to draft Oline because what we have is trash. Obviously getting Dan out was the first step to solving a lot of problems, now we need to make it our goal to get rid of Rivera. Hopefully the new owner does it sooner rather than later. I know it won't be before the upcoming season, but hopefully right after. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Your logic makes perfect sense to me but I could apply the same to the RB position.  They seemed to like Brian Robinson and took him just last year, plus he was a feel good story coming back.  They always seem to telegraph their first round pick by not addressing the position at all in free agency, and that would be either TE or CB here. We don't really have a legitimate starter at TE anymore and Fuller is entering the final year of his current contract (and we know how they love to not resign people). 

I agree. Me wanting Bijan doesn't mean they'll do it. Its just more so wanting something we haven't had since the Portis days. My guess is they take one of the corners and then someone like Sam LaPorta in the second. 

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

I do agree with what you are saying, I don't think Rivera sees it as a need either, but I think people are more so saying we need to draft Oline because what we have is trash. Obviously getting Dan out was the first step to solving a lot of problems, now we need to make it our goal to get rid of Rivera. Hopefully the new owner does it sooner rather than later. I know it won't be before the upcoming season, but hopefully right after. 

I do think OL is a problem. My issue is if they take one he's most likely not starting. It would piss me off if they used our first round pick on a guy who doesn't play much like they did with Jamin Davis. This is why I'm in the tank for Bijan or Mayer. They're so good you have to play them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I do think OL is a problem. My issue is if they take one he's most likely not starting. It would piss me off if they used our first round pick on a guy who doesn't play much like they did with Jamin Davis. This is why I'm in the tank for Bijan or Mayer. They're so good you have to play them. 

There's no guarantee any draft pick starts no matter who they are. I think it's logical that Bijan or Mayer would start, but it's also very logical if we took a guard in R1 that they'd beat out Sam Cosmi to start at RG. Cosmi is less of a lock as a starter than Brian Robinson & Logan Thomas IMO.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There's no guarantee any draft pick starts no matter who they are. I think it's logical that Bijan or Mayer would start, but it's also very logical if we took a guard in R1 that they'd beat out Sam Cosmi to start at RG. Cosmi is less of a lock as a starter than Brian Robinson & Logan Thomas IMO.

They aren’t giving up on Cosmi already. There’s no way. Logan Thomas could barely run and was clearly not the same guy in the open field. The fact that he’s still on the roster at his age, his injury history and his cap hit is just a shot at how bad Rivera is when it comes to this stuff. I mean, Norwell is still on the roster for Christ sakes. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t giving up on Cosmi already. There’s no way. Logan Thomas could barely run and was clearly not the same guy in the open field. The fact that he’s still on the roster at his age, his injury history and his cap hit is just a shot at how bad Rivera is when it comes to this stuff. I mean, Norwell is still on the roster for Christ sakes. 

Oh so let me get this straight, they'd give up on Brian Robinson as the starting RB who performed well last year despite all he went through last year but they wouldn't draft insurance/someone to compete w/ Cosmi in round 1 who hasn't stayed healthy in his rookie or 2nd season & would be making a position change? 

I’m sorry but that doesn't pass the smell test man.

Logan Thomas at the end of the season looked healthy. He struggled running/moving with the big brace early in the year - same as Chase Young & RG3 in 2012 - on his knee.

Man, I don't know why you exaggerate on things sometimes. 

On 4/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I would not draft Bijan at 16. From my perspective he is more like a mr. quick rb coming out of the hole but I have seen some defenders catch him in the long distance. However one of his positives is he is good catching the ball. This is my quick assessment b/c I have seen him play against OU the last couple of yrs. Don't get me wrong he is good but I questions his home run speed.  I just think we should initially address the OL/CB. at 16. There are more quality RB's available in the mid rds. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So let's say we take Bijan and you never know about these drafts and we have to be prepared for the unnexpected. Who would you be targeting for CB after Avilla. For me being form the Big 12 I like Brents, Smith and Tomlinson to name a few. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Agree. It all starts in the trenches.  We could make some moves. I am hoping we go OL/CB or vise versa. However drafts always don't go as planned. What if Richardson/ Johnson  drops to 16. Somebody will drop into your lap. As I said before I wouldn't draft a RB at 16. Achane ( A true Home run hitter), Chase, R Johnson, Brown, Gray, Vaughn and Spears all will be there in the later rds. Over all and it depends how this drafts shakes out I would not be mad at if we chose any position with the exception of a TE at 16. just don't see the need for a TE at 16. 

48 minutes ago, 4209 said:

So let's say we take Bijan and you never know about these drafts and we have to be prepared for the unnexpected. Who would you be targeting for CB after Avilla. For me being form the Big 12 I like Brents, Smith and Tomlinson to name a few. 

Kyu Blu Kelly, Ricks, Turner, Tomlinson-Hodges, Garrett Williams etc. This class is loaded. 

• Like 2