2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh so let me get this straight, they'd give up on Brian Robinson as the starting RB who performed well last year despite all he went through last year but they wouldn't draft insurance/someone to compete w/ Cosmi in round 1 who hasn't stayed healthy in his rookie or 2nd season & would be making a position change? 

I’m sorry but that doesn't pass the smell test man.

Logan Thomas at the end of the season looked healthy. He struggled running/moving with the big brace early in the year - same as Chase Young & RG3 in 2012 - on his knee.

Man, I don't know why you exaggerate on things sometimes. 

Why would it be giving up on Brian Robinson? He split carries with Gibson last year. Most teams use two backs now. Gibson isn't very good and I'd like to replace him with someone much better. Sue me.

Logan Thomas has not been the same player for two years now. He has 519 yards and 4 TDs in the past two seasons and he's turning 32 with a relatively high cap hit for his position. Why you would want to keep him is beyond me? Do you think a 32-year old TE who recently had a major knee injury is going to get better?

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why would it be giving up on Brian Robinson? He split carries with Gibson last year. Most teams use two backs now. Gibson isn't very good and I'd like to replace him with someone much better. Sue me.

Logan Thomas has not been the same player for two years now. He has 519 yards and 4 TDs in the past two seasons and he's turning 32 with a relatively high cap hit for his position. Why you would want to keep him is beyond me? Do you think a 32-year old TE who recently had a major knee injury is going to get better?

I want to see what the TEs in house can do. It’s not just about Logan Thomas. It’s about Cole Turner, Bates & Armani Rogers & giving them a chance behind Logan to prove themselves or not this season. I believe that Logan can be a bridge to Cole Turner being a starter. I want to find that out before we draft another TE high. 

You know what’s the most mind boggling thing? You’re fine with going with a 5th round 2nd year QB, but not ok with seeing what a 5th round 2nd year TE (Cole Turner) can do as he develops behind our in-house steady Eddie veteran Logan Thomas.

As for Gibson, we’re never going to agree. We can agree on that. I don’t see any problem with Gibson being used in the role he was last year (receiving back, return man - hopefully he learns punt returns this offseason - and change of pace back for Robinson) while Brian Robison is used in the role he was last year & again, with better blocking I think they can both average more ypc & get near 2,000 together if they get the touches.

Edited by turtle28

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I want to see what the TEs in house can do. It’s not just about Logan Thomas. It’s about Cole Turner, Bates & Armani Rogers & giving them a chance behind Logan to prove themselves or not this season. I believe that Logan can be a bridge to Cole Turner being a starter. I want to find that out before we draft another TE high. 

You know what’s the most mind boggling thing? You’re fine with going with a 5th round 2nd year QB, but not ok with seeing what a 5th round 2nd year TE (Cole Turner) can do as he develops behind our in-house steady Eddie veteran Logan Thomas.

As for Gibson, we’re never going to agree. We can agree on that. I don’t see any problem with Gibson being used in the role he was last year (receiving back, return man - hopefully he learns punt returns this offseason - and change of pace back for Robinson) while Brian Robison is used in the role he was last year & again, with better blocking I think they can both average more ypc & get near 2,000 together if they get the touches.

Because, they are legit viable options that are better than what we have that will be available to us in the draft at TE. If you think that’s the case at QB then I’m all for it. I’m tired of this franchise deciding they can skate by with what they have when there are better alternatives. And yes, Kicaid, Mayer and LaPorta are all light years better than anything we currently have on this roster. 

The unanimous pick at 16 amongst mock drafters seems to be Porter Jr. Like probably 95% of them have him as the pick. After listening to Smoot breakdown the corners and the ones he sees as a fit I’d think moving down and taking Forbes might be the best play. He’s a ballhawk which we need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The unanimous pick at 16 amongst mock drafters seems to be Porter Jr. Like probably 95% of them have him as the pick. After listening to Smoot breakdown the corners and the ones he sees as a fit I’d think moving down and taking Forbes might be the best play. He’s a ballhawk which we need. 

It sure is looking like Joey Porter, Jr. is the strong favorite to be the pick. And according to the betting websites - FanDuel and Draftkings, he's likely to be at our pick as well. He's my 'meh' pick, the B-/C+ grade type of pick to me.  The following players aren't heavily favored to be at our pick: Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson, Jr. and surprisingly Broderick Jones. 

I think we'll have the following players to choose from and are worthy selections for pick #16: DB Brian Branch, CB Joey Porter, Jr., TE Michael Mayer, RB Bijan Robinson, OT Darnell Wright, CB Deonte Banks 

As for Smoot, I think he's a little biased with Forbes also being a Miss. St. alum. I like Forbes but like you said, he's not worth #16. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It sure is looking like Joey Porter, Jr. is the strong favorite to be the pick. And according to the betting websites - FanDuel and Draftkings, he's likely to be at our pick as well. He's my 'meh' pick, the B-/C+ grade type of pick to me.  The following players aren't heavily favored to be at our pick: Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson, Jr. and surprisingly Broderick Jones. 

I think we'll have the following players to choose from and are worthy selections for pick #16: DB Brian Branch, CB Joey Porter, Jr., TE Michael Mayer, RB Bijan Robinson, OT Darnell Wright, CB Deonte Banks 

As for Smoot, I think he's a little biased with Forbes also being a Miss. St. alum. I like Forbes but like you said, he's not worth #16. 

But are they just mocking Porter because it’s a position they feel we should upgrade and he’s their top avalible because that’s what most mocks come down too. Most aren’t factoring in staff trends and history and player preferences. Like yes Porter makes sense but Ron has never ever been apart of selecting a CB in the first round and his history shows he prefers to develop guys with traits out of non power schools and he’s continued that here. That’s not to say he won’t but I just think that’s something to seriously consider especially with EB coming in. While I would sprint a Witherspoon or Gonzalez and maybe Porter isn’t my cup of tea for my preference I believe they are going BPA and I could see them going BPA over need unless it’s a top tier OT

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I’ve started to think of Branch as a major possibility at 16. He represents something Rivera loves, position flex. He also appears born to play the Buffalo nickel role. I don’t concern myself with his forty time because he plays so much faster on the field.

He spoke about talking to Washington at the combine and I believe it was him who said his convo with the staff stood out to him. He’s in for a top 30 visit and they’ve done next to nothing for the Buffalo nickel role. It’s also our out of left field pick this group always likes to make. I think I’ll go on record right now and say this is my last prediction for pick 16. It’s going to be Branch. 

Honestly, I don’t know why this wasn’t more obvious to me sooner? If he’s there I think he’ll be the guy. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But are they just mocking Porter because it’s a position they feel we should upgrade and he’s their top avalible because that’s what most mocks come down too. Most aren’t factoring in staff trends and history and player preferences. Like yes Porter makes sense but Ron has never ever been apart of selecting a CB in the first round and his history shows he prefers to develop guys with traits out of non power schools and he’s continued that here. That’s not to say he won’t but I just think that’s something to seriously consider especially with EB coming in. While I would sprint a Witherspoon or Gonzalez and maybe Porter isn’t my cup of tea for my preference I believe they are going BPA and I could see them going BPA over need unless it’s a top tier OT

Its close between Bijan and Joey Porter, Jr. for the consensus BPA I'd say when it rolls around draft time. 

This will change slightly over the next two weeks but I like to look at NFL Mock Draft Database for a pretty accurate BPA ranking. Bijan and Joey Porter, Jr. are at #13 and #14 and a tier above the other guys I listed that I think will be available for our pick. Never say never in the NFL draft, but I'd say its unlikely that CRod or Devon Witherspoon will be available. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

That's an interesting point about Ron and not selecting from the power schools and looking at his history, I'd say that's accurate. Lots of ACC type school picks. For the Deonte Banks fans, he selected DJ Moore a couple years too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Its close between Bijan and Joey Porter, Jr. for the consensus BPA I'd say when it rolls around draft time. 

This will change slightly over the next two weeks but I like to look at NFL Mock Draft Database for a pretty accurate BPA ranking. Bijan and Joey Porter, Jr. are at #13 and #14 and a tier above the other guys I listed that I think will be available for our pick. Never say never in the NFL draft, but I'd say its unlikely that CRod or Devon Witherspoon will be available. 

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

That's an interesting point about Ron and not selecting from the power schools and looking at his history, I'd say that's accurate. Lots of ACC type school picks. For the Deonte Banks fans, he selected DJ Moore a couple years too. 

He does go to power schools for trenches atleast recently and back when the pac 12 was a tougher conference collectively but yeah JNo was coastal. Juste was Minnesota. Even his time in Carolina you could say Cam but there was no other choice for that pick. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve started to think of Branch as a major possibility at 16. He represents something Rivera loves, position flex. He also appears born to play the Buffalo nickel role. I don’t concern myself with his forty time because he plays so much faster on the field.

He spoke about talking to Washington at the combine and I believe it was him who said his convo with the staff stood out to him. He’s in for a top 30 visit and they’ve done next to nothing for the Buffalo nickel role. It’s also our out of left field pick this group always likes to make. I think I’ll go on record right now and say this is my last prediction for pick 16. It’s going to be Branch. 

I'd rather have Joey Porter, Jr. than Brian Branch but yeah I agree he's a dark horse candidate. He mostly played nickel cornerback at Alabama - just what we need.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Honestly, I don’t know why this wasn’t more obvious to me sooner? If he’s there I think he’ll be the guy. 

I agree with this. Getting Branch wouod be nice.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

100 Percent Agree GIF by HBO

Yep, anytime there’s a Miss St. player worth taking in round 1 you’ll be damn sure Smoot is talking that player up & talking about how we should draft them. Forbes is good too, I’d have no problem with taking him but I agree he’s more late 1st/early 2nd type player so, if we traded back he’d be a candidate along with Anton Harrison & Torrence.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Because, they are legit viable options that are better than what we have that will be available to us in the draft at TE. If you think that’s the case at QB then I’m all for it. I’m tired of this franchise deciding they can skate by with what they have when there are better alternatives. And yes, Kicaid, Mayer and LaPorta are all light years better than anything we currently have on this roster. 

I’m sorry, but I have to call amnesia on this & the fact that you’ve seemed to given up on Cole Turner’s potential bc he had injuries his rookie season. He was a good TE prospect last year & a lot of beat writers thought he had a real chance to make an impact as a rookie, especially in the redzone.  Then he hurt his hamstring in camp & got a concussion so it derailed his rookie season.

Cole Turner has a tremendous catch radius at 6’6, 240 pounds & made spectacular catches for your boy Carson Strong at Nevada in 2021.

And I know it wasn’t a lot of plays, but he showed off that catch radius in the Bears Thursday night game when Wentz threw him an awful pass that was high & outside but Turner made a spectacular catch on an awful ball. It just showed what he could do.

Cole Turner’s senior year he had 67 recs, 677 yds & 10 TDs in 11 games.

The guys you’re mentioning played 12 to 14 games.

Those stats are pretty similar to the guys you are mentioning in less games, except for LaPorta, maybe it’s the Iowa offense but LaPorta only caught 1 TD last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Non power schools you say?

2020 Ron selected Chase Young from OSU

2022 Ron selected Jahan Dotson from PSU