2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

12 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

My only issue with picking Will Levis is that I don't see how much he differs from Sam Howell as a prospect. But I guess it couldn't hurt to have him as the third QB in the room and compete with Howell and Brissett. 

I don’t think he’s good at all. I just think they’d pick him. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, MikeT14 said:

Been doing the EPC member draft over here:

Everyone wants to trade down, so that made it difficult for me.

So far I have stood pat on my first two picks taking Darnell Wright and Jack Campbell.

I tried pretty hard to move from 47 to 42 to get Kincaid, but I didn't wanna give up everything I had to do it. 

I had an incident Saturday that rendered me unable to participate when I wanted to, so I lost of out on three guys I would have picked here instead (Tyjae Spears, Zach Kuntz, Trevius Hodges Tomlinson). My bad. I was able to circle back and add good depth and a guy to develop though in Yaya Diaby. I think added his teammate Kei Trel Clark in the middle of the 4th. I just traded up from 150 to 139 to get Vorhees. He was still sitting there, and redshirting him for his potential talent is fine by me, especially if we think we're carrying Norwell one more year. 

1.16 - Darnell Wright, OT
2.47 - Jack Campbell, LB
3.97 - Yaya Diaby, EDGE
4.118 - Kei'Trel Clark, CB
5.139 - Andrew Vorhees, G (traded 150 + 215)

This leaves me with 193 and 233 left to attack our depth. Hoping to attack QB, TE, RB, K, or WR with those two. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, MKnight82 said:

Good lord.  Idk if the Washington forum is ready for that kid's name.  I mean I'm dreaming up all of the word play I could do with it during the gameday threads.  @Thaiphoon 's going to ban hammer me. 

I'm eagerly anticipating how much the forum(s) can get away with when this guy is in the league. I have a ton of material I can use already that is just this side of the line.

• Like 2

Kiper’s new mock has us going Joey Porter at 16 and Blake Freeland at 47. 

This mock demonstrates the flaw in the approach of forcing a CB at 16, for two reasons. One, he passes on Paris Johnson to take Porter, which is a bad idea on its face. Two, there were good CB prospects left on the board at 47, including Julius Brents and Cam Smith. I’m fine with taking a CB if it’s clearly the best player for us — there are certainly scenarios where that would be the case — but forcing one is a bad idea.

The much better outcome here would have been something like Paris Johnson and Cam Smith/Julius Brents. I like Smith better, but I would agree that Brents seems to fit their mold better.

Blake Freeland looks like a pretty great athlete, but he also looks like a pretty shaky football player. That would be a big project. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This mock demonstrates the flaw in the approach of forcing a CB at 16, for two reasons. One, he passes on Paris Johnson to take Porter, which is a bad idea on its face. Two, there were good CB prospects left on the board at 47, including Julius Brents and Cam Smith. I’m fine with taking a CB if it’s clearly the best player for us — there are certainly scenarios where that would be the case — but forcing one is a bad idea.

The much better outcome here would have been something like Paris Johnson and Cam Smith/Julius Brents. I like Smith better, but I would agree that Brents seems to fit their mold better.

Blake Freeland looks like a pretty great athlete, but he also looks like a pretty shaky football player. That would be a big project. 

I HATE Mel’s mock. For me that would be a disaster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, if Parris Johnson is there at 16 you have to take him. They need a #3 CB. That can be had in the 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th, or at worst someone who can challenge Danny Johnson to be the 3rd corner.

Passing on a probable starting LT when Leno retires to take a CB that some aren't sure fits our zone D as Porter played man-to-man at Penn State doesn't make much sense.

I take Mel’s mocks with a pretty big grain of salt until we’re a week or two away from the draft. 

I think his mocks up until that point are about highlighting guys he’s particularly high (or low) on or prospect/team matches that he loves. I think he forces picks in order to get those things out there. 

In this case, I think he’s trying to bring attention to the fact that he knows Darnell Wright is seriously rising. Maybe also that Paris is falling — but I find it difficult to believe that one could watch Broderick Jones and rate him over Paris Johnson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, if Parris Johnson is there at 16 you have to take him. They need a #3 CB. That can be had in the 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th, or at worst someone who can challenge Danny Johnson to be the 3rd corner.

Passing on a probable starting LT when Leno retires to take a CB that some aren't sure fits our zone D as Porter played man-to-man at Penn State doesn't make much sense.

I agree and disagree. As I said many times here you build your team from the trenches. However I think Porter is oustanding and talented prospect. If you have some good coaching Porter can be taught to play zone. For me it is  an enticing idea to pick Porter. I think Paris is long gone at 16. I like Broderick Jones alot at 16. If Jones is taken I have to consider taking Porter or Witherspoon at 16.