The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

Sounds like AH is back in the race 

@thecarm- Source: The Bears have made progress in their discussions with Arlington Heights and the school district board for their stadium deal. The belief is that Kevin Warren’s timeline to get a deal done remains aggressive.

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Sounds like AH is back in the race 

@thecarm- Source: The Bears have made progress in their discussions with Arlington Heights and the school district board for their stadium deal. The belief is that Kevin Warren’s timeline to get a deal done remains aggressive.

Arlington makes the most sense.

But I get that you don't want to go into it not knowing what your property taxes are going to be once you put billions onto the land.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tepper got 650

Hahah, stuck inside in the rain and was just going to post this thinking you'd find it interesting. 

The Athletic article is really pretty good there's actually some plusses and minuses to this deal, but to me it's largely dumb for taxpayers. 

To summarize, the Panthers (owned by Tepper, NW ~20B) are getting 650M from taxpayers to upgrade scoreboards, bathrooms escalors and seats in their stadium, with Tepper picking up the remaining 150m.  This was all approved by the city council in closed sessions.  

On one hand, it's absolutely preposterous to think there are people who are suddenly going to choose to watch Bryce Young get pounded due to fastest escalators to escape the area.  On the other hand, they have supposedly signed an agreement keeping the team from leaving for 15 years, with a debt payoff mandated for 20y total.  I say supposedly as that kind of contract is often riddled with outs so kind of expect it to be like NFL contract totals sounding great and then the guaranteed money being like 70% of that. 

Seems to be the threat of leaving got the city to pay up for something that won't bring in additional revenue as the stadium isn't getting more seats or a dome or anything like that.  Like a draft pick, you probably won't know how well this worked out for the city for quite a long time, but it seems they bent over to avoid him moving the team.

As an aside I'm usually pretty pro Chicago and like to counter some of the media talking points, but to be fair and to call out mismangement when it's there, I would subtly like to submit that Chicago Streets and San is a rogue state.  They de-coupled them from aldermanic control a few years ago, in the hope that it would avoid the appearance (and actuality) of alderman patronage within wards for their favored donors and constituents.  In practice I can say it has turned into what seem like random projects stopping and starting.   For example,  our block petitioned for, and was approved for speed bumps 2 years ago.  They finally closed the street for 2 weeks in April for the speed bumps, only to have no one show up or do anything.  They in mid May they randomly showed up with tow trucks, towed away cars, and put in one and a half speed bumps.  The half speed bump has a wicked approach angle that a baja truck would have a hard time with, and is completely unmarked or signed, so the first couple weeks cars are just crashing into and bouncing off of this thing in the night, and there's been a couple people going way too fast who have left bumpers or collapsed their suspensions so it looks like demo derby some mornings.  People got used to it for the last month and it's actually nice as we have a really wide one way street so people tended to go too fast.  Last week they closed the street for a month, with no word as to what it was.  They finally showed up yesterday, and the exact same crew that put the speed bumps in has now milled them out, along with the rest of the middle of the street as they're now resurfacing.   I was chatting with the guy who runs the milling machine (which is ******* awesome but he wouldn't let me drive it which also sucks) that both removed the original pavement for the bumps and also grinds the top layer or and he says to bring and run the machine for speed bumps is about $9k per street, plus the rest of the crew of around 12 guys.  He also says the planning for this is all done by the same office in our area, so someone approved speed bumps for ~15k that were there for less than a month.  He also said that water is going to be replacing or re-lining our water lines this year, so we might do both the street and the bumps again, possibly three times this year.  His company loves it as they can rent the machiens and just keep moving them around the area so they're busy all summer without having to return the rig.  We all really should have owned paving companies instead of whatever it is we do. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tepper got 650

had to have been a LOTTA bribes on that council. tepper is worth STUPID money, and if he can get money - if i'm an owner i point at that and say "bad team, filthy rich owner, got money" put up or shut up

4 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Hahah, stuck inside in the rain and was just going to post this thinking you'd find it interesting. 

The Athletic article is really pretty good there's actually some plusses and minuses to this deal, but to me it's largely dumb for taxpayers. 

To summarize, the Panthers (owned by Tepper, NW ~20B) are getting 650M from taxpayers to upgrade scoreboards, bathrooms escalors and seats in their stadium, with Tepper picking up the remaining 150m.  This was all approved by the city council in closed sessions.  

On one hand, it's absolutely preposterous to think there are people who are suddenly going to choose to watch Bryce Young get pounded due to fastest escalators to escape the area.  On the other hand, they have supposedly signed an agreement keeping the team from leaving for 15 years, with a debt payoff mandated for 20y total.  I say supposedly as that kind of contract is often riddled with outs so kind of expect it to be like NFL contract totals sounding great and then the guaranteed money being like 70% of that. 

Seems to be the threat of leaving got the city to pay up for something that won't bring in additional revenue as the stadium isn't getting more seats or a dome or anything like that.  Like a draft pick, you probably won't know how well this worked out for the city for quite a long time, but it seems they bent over to avoid him moving the team.

As an aside I'm usually pretty pro Chicago and like to counter some of the media talking points, but to be fair and to call out mismangement when it's there, I would subtly like to submit that Chicago Streets and San is a rogue state.  They de-coupled them from aldermanic control a few years ago, in the hope that it would avoid the appearance (and actuality) of alderman patronage within wards for their favored donors and constituents.  In practice I can say it has turned into what seem like random projects stopping and starting.   For example,  our block petitioned for, and was approved for speed bumps 2 years ago.  They finally closed the street for 2 weeks in April for the speed bumps, only to have no one show up or do anything.  They in mid May they randomly showed up with tow trucks, towed away cars, and put in one and a half speed bumps.  The half speed bump has a wicked approach angle that a baja truck would have a hard time with, and is completely unmarked or signed, so the first couple weeks cars are just crashing into and bouncing off of this thing in the night, and there's been a couple people going way too fast who have left bumpers or collapsed their suspensions so it looks like demo derby some mornings.  People got used to it for the last month and it's actually nice as we have a really wide one way street so people tended to go too fast.  Last week they closed the street for a month, with no word as to what it was.  They finally showed up yesterday, and the exact same crew that put the speed bumps in has now milled them out, along with the rest of the middle of the street as they're now resurfacing.   I was chatting with the guy who runs the milling machine (which is ******* awesome but he wouldn't let me drive it which also sucks) that both removed the original pavement for the bumps and also grinds the top layer or and he says to bring and run the machine for speed bumps is about $9k per street, plus the rest of the crew of around 12 guys.  He also says the planning for this is all done by the same office in our area, so someone approved speed bumps for ~15k that were there for less than a month.  He also said that water is going to be replacing or re-lining our water lines this year, so we might do both the street and the bumps again, possibly three times this year.  His company loves it as they can rent the machiens and just keep moving them around the area so they're busy all summer without having to return the rig.  We all really should have owned paving companies instead of whatever it is we do. 

Many of our lifetime politicians even at big city level live lifestyles (not publicly) on level of Saudi Shieks and Hollywood moguls.  

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Many of our lifetime politicians even at big city level live lifestyles (not publicly) on level of Saudi Shieks and Hollywood moguls.  

I've got a bit more experience in the muddy waters where public money and private management meet.  About 15 years ago there was a massive contract handed out by the city, and the consultant firm that made the decision for the city (not the one that did the parking meter deal but almost as vile) employed an expert who was simultaneously employed by 2 out of 3 of the companies bidding for the contract, as well as a third unrelated company who later got subcontracting after one of this 2 (highest bids btw) companies got the contract.  In all fairness revenues have since ballooned, but costs have gone up even faster, and they somehow got the third party hired on as getting a share of whatever they spend on improvements.  That last bit is the mind blowing one, and has led to marble surfacing in a parking garage hallway and a fleet of trucks and runabouts that never go anywhere.

As for the Bears, it's a really fascinating time to see what happens. Would be hilarious if the NFL owners turn on McCaskey when he starts the reversal of the big public money for stadiums trend.  Fine by me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I've got a bit more experience in the muddy waters where public money and private management meet.  About 15 years ago there was a massive contract handed out by the city, and the consultant firm that made the decision for the city (not the one that did the parking meter deal but almost as vile) employed an expert who was simultaneously employed by 2 out of 3 of the companies bidding for the contract, as well as a third unrelated company who later got subcontracting after one of this 2 (highest bids btw) companies got the contract.  In all fairness revenues have since ballooned, but costs have gone up even faster, and they somehow got the third party hired on as getting a share of whatever they spend on improvements.  That last bit is the mind blowing one, and has led to marble surfacing in a parking garage hallway and a fleet of trucks and runabouts that never go anywhere.

As for the Bears, it's a really fascinating time to see what happens. Would be hilarious if the NFL owners turn on McCaskey when he starts the reversal of the big public money for stadiums trend.  Fine by me!

We can slip a few billion into the next Ukraine war bill for Bears stadium.

It can replace the studies on cancer in queer squirrels caused by the global warming of power lines near windmills.

No, that is too important to take out.  We will just add the Bears in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We can slip a few billion into the next Ukraine war bill for Bears stadium.

It can replace the studies on cancer in queer squirrels caused by the global warming of power lines near windmills.

No, that is too important to take out.  We will just add the Bears in.

As someone with an active garden that gets decimated every year,  the queer squirrels sound amazing, bring it on.  

And because you mentioned power lines,  I am the guy that just last week learned that power lines can electrify metal objects within their electrical field, specifically the big ComEd ones under the Skyway Bridge. All good, but absolutely an iris clenching experience. 

10 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

As someone with an active garden that gets decimated every year,  the queer squirrels sound amazing, bring it on.  

And because you mentioned power lines,  I am the guy that just last week learned that power lines can electrify metal objects within their electrical field, specifically the big ComEd ones under the Skyway Bridge. All good, but absolutely an iris clenching experience. 

We have rabbits and chipmunks get into garden stuff all the time, but I haven’t noticed the squirrels doing it.  I just trapped a particular troublesome chipmunk other day and dropped him off far away.   Like in hell.  Just kidding   By the library. 

I briefly put up a rope line across my back yard because I wanted to see if squirrels would tight rope it to get to some bird seed I hung up there.   They never did.  I think the rope is too thin and wobbly as even the birds have trouble perching on it.

I took it down when my dad visited because I didn’t want to hear his criticisms and haven’t put it back up because work has been busy and it keeps storming.  

I do some weird stuff sometimes.