Rack's 2023 Mock Draft - 10th and Final Edition - 7 Rounds (4/26)

rackcs

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Can't see the Falcons passing on Jalen Carter in the first if he's there. 

Also, if they go Carter in the first, then Young in the 4th is redundant and I see them getting Perry at that 113 pick. They coached him in the shrine bowl and like him a lot.

I wasn't sure about the how the Falcons viewed character concerns. With Gonzalez also being a very good prospect at what I felt was a bigger position of immediate need, that's why I made the decision there. But if the Falcons aren't bothered about character concerns then definitely Carter would make sense there.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't mind the pick. I think he fits better than Porter. I'd prefer Wright, but I wouldn't be mad. 

Good pick. 

Meh. I get taking a QB, but I don't think I would want him here, nor am I sure how much he would fit this offense. 

Since we took a CB in the first, I think this is a little redundant. I would love Diaby here. 

I like him for us.

I do think we need a RB. I prefer Kenny but the pick is fine. As far as Luepke, I know he has his fans, but we didn't use a FB before really. Did EB and the Chiefs? If he's playing some hybrid TE role, okay. 

I won't complain about OL depth. 

Overall this is solid. I have some ? marks, but appreciate the effort!

Haener actually reminds me a lot of Heinicke in that he's a tough player who I think players will rally around. That was kind of the idea there was sort of a 1 for 1 swap. And then as for Luepke, yes, I view him as having kind of an multi-purpose role in the offense where he can do different things for you. Just a useful player to add later in the draft who can find his way on the field on offense and/or special teams.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This would make me sad and break things as an Eagles' fan so it is probably very accurate

The Van Ness pick seems fairly likely at this point if he's there, seems like exactly the kind of guy Roseman would like. I like the rest of the draft for you. High upside DT, versatile safety, toolsy CB to develop. 

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd tolerate Too Too and Williams

It's hard in general to care about what the Browns do on draft night considering the Watson and Moore trades. Throw in the fact that Andrew Berry trades like crazy, and it's almost impossible to project what they do...although he will definitely grab a corner or 2 at some point because he just can't help himself.

Fair. I wasn't super sure where to go with them outside of DL because the roster is generally pretty solid with not many places to immediately upgrade when you're picking 3rd round and on. So it was a lot of BPA type stuff.

45 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Great job for the Giants. The first 4 picks are A+. Ricky Stromberg may be a little overdrafted, but I like him a lot, so I don't mind.

That is a lot of WRs to take though lol. Not necessarily bad, just a lot.

Yeah, I was writing down the picks by team just now and realized I gave both the Giants and Packers 3 WRs lol and I gave the Bucs two QBs in the 5th. So I flipped some things around and changed some picks. Now you're going EDGE in the 7th instead of grabbing a 3rd WR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Haener actually reminds me a lot of Heinicke in that he's a tough player who I think players will rally around. That was kind of the idea there was sort of a 1 for 1 swap. And then as for Luepke, yes, I view him as having kind of an multi-purpose role in the offense where he can do different things for you. Just a useful player to add later in the draft who can find his way on the field on offense and/or special teams.

The idea behind that is great, but again, with EB here now and not the old offense, I think a different QB would be better. I wanted TH back bad, but full disclosure did he fit the new offense?

Haener is probably consensus  QB5 or 6 right? Not sure where McKee has landed now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

The idea behind that is great, but again, with EB here now and not the old offense, I think a different QB would be better. I wanted TH back bad, but full disclosure did he fit the new offense?

Haener is probably consensus  QB5 or 6 right? Not sure where McKee has landed now. 

That's fair, I wasn't taking the new offense into consideration as much when making these picks. And yeah, I'd say Haener is pretty comfortably the next guy up after the top 4 plus Hooker. McKee now seems to be in that next tier kind of huddled up with guys like O'Connell, Hall, Tune, DTR where they're sort of all jumbled up and it's going to be personal preference.

4 minutes ago, rackcs said:

That's fair, I wasn't taking the new offense into consideration as much when making these picks. And yeah, I'd say Haener is pretty comfortably the next guy up after the top 4 plus Hooker. McKee now seems to be in that next tier kind of huddled up with guys like O'Connell, Hall, Tune, DTR where they're sort of all jumbled up and it's going to be personal preference.

Oops. He's definitely behind Hooker good call. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I wasn't sure about the how the Falcons viewed character concerns. With Gonzalez also being a very good prospect at what I felt was a bigger position of immediate need, that's why I made the decision there. But if the Falcons aren't bothered about character concerns then definitely Carter would make sense there

It may not be that they're not bothered, but rather they see it as an isolated incident that caused him some personal turmoil at the worst point to have it. His film is great. He loves the game. He would do fine here. 

The rest of the mock is good tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

It may not be that they're not bothered, but rather they see it as an isolated incident that caused him some personal turmoil at the worst point to have it. His film is great. He loves the game. He would do fine here. 

The rest of the mock is good tho.

Honest question.  I know you have stated for years that the Falcons usually steer away from character problems.  With UGA so close to Atlanta, do you not fear that some of the people surrounding him will be close enough to stay too close around him?  As a guy rooting for him to do well (distant UGA fan since Hershel Walker days) I would think the further away from Athens he ends up, the better.  Like Seattle, Arizona, Detroit, or literally any team not in Tennessee, Georgia or Florida (maybe the saints as well).  Just my opinion 

23 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Honest question.  I know you have stated for years that the Falcons usually steer away from character problems.  With UGA so close to Atlanta, do you not fear that some of the people surrounding him will be close enough to stay too close around him?  As a guy rooting for him to do well (distant UGA fan since Hershel Walker days) I would think the further away from Athens he ends up, the better.  Like Seattle, Arizona, Detroit, or literally any team not in Tennessee, Georgia or Florida (maybe the saints as well).  Just my opinion 

That was back when Dimitroff was the GM. And they tried to steer away then. Under Fontenot, they will look the other way for what they consider small mistakes if the guy loves the game and they feel they have the mentors for him. I think a big reason why they signed Calais Campbell was to mentor Ta'Quon Graham to eventually take that role, but if you bring in Jalen Carter, then he's going to have two guys to mentor. Also have Grady to help out as a mentor and Onyemata. Carter is clean outside of the traffic thing. That's the only off-field knock on him. He's not a partier. Not a guy like that. Also with UGA so close, the Falcons know all about his work habits and practice habits. I think if they take him (and I think they will if he's there), he's going to succeed here.

• Like 1