Some moves have to be made now...

mwalker

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

No doubt about it. We have to either sign a great O-linemen or draft one in the first 2 rounds, or preferably both. Hopefully the O-line class is as good and deep as it has been.  

Off of memory, I think the FA OL class this upcoming offseason isn’t that great…things can always change he though with cuts etc etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, August4th said:

+ Bring in a starter in fa

I’m all for improving the OL but every part of the defense needs help…NT/ILB/OLB depth/SS and possibly boundary or NB.

I wouldn’t pigeonhole it yet…What they do in FA and the development of Moore/Dotson will determine the direction they go. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AFF said:

I’m all for improving the OL but every part of the defense needs help…NT/ILB/OLB depth/SS and possibly boundary or NB.

I wouldn’t pigeonhole it yet…What they do in FA and the development of Moore/Dotson will determine the direction they go. 

SS/CB sure. NT is an easy fix anymore that should be cheap. ILB makes me feel better to have Jack here next year too. OLB might be easy if any of these guys step up in TJs absence. 

But, then you pay out so many people, you have to sacrifice somewhere. And that’s what we are looking at. We cleared all the OL money, and it shifted to the defense, and now that hurts. At this point I wouldn’t mind seeing all of that trouble areas filled with solid B players with Minkah/Cam/TJ/Jack being the studs it revolves around. On offense I would like to see LT, OC, JD, DJ be the highest paid with solid B players and rookie contracts around that. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

SS/CB sure. NT is an easy fix anymore that should be cheap. ILB makes me feel better to have Jack here next year too. OLB might be easy if any of these guys step up in TJs absence. 

But, then you pay out so many people, you have to sacrifice somewhere. And that’s what we are looking at. We cleared all the OL money, and it shifted to the defense, and now that hurts. At this point I wouldn’t mind seeing all of that trouble areas filled with solid B players with Minkah/Cam/TJ/Jack being the studs it revolves around. On offense I would like to see LT, OC, JD, DJ be the highest paid with solid B players and rookie contracts around that. 

Jack counts roughly $11 mill against cap next year…they can save $8 mill if they cut him and his play will determine what happens…but even then he’s only under contract thru next year.

Highsmith IIRC is a FA after the 2023 season…that’s a factor and Reed is a FA after this season to boot.

The offense has had the show the past 2 drafts with high picks at RB/TE/WR/QB and even then a few more OL picks and another WR in the mid rounds.

I would really like in FA if they pretty much solidified the OL and a hole or 2 on defense and then rebuild the defense but you can’t pigeonhole yourself like that…too early and too many factors.

• Like 2

I cant see any way we part from Jack after this season unless he is terrible going forward.    We have absolutely nothing beyond him next season and I doubt they are going to trust they can find 2 new starters on ILB for next season, on top of everything else.

Jack has been solid.    I wouldnt mind extending him for the right price.    He isnt a world beater, but he is a notable upgrade from what we have had the last few years.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 43M said:

I wouldnt mind extending him for the right price

This was my guess from some of their signings. I liked the 2 year deals for Wallace, Witherspoon, and Jack. If anyone a good, extend them. If they were bad, cut em. And if we just want them around one more year, great keep ‘em. 

They left some solid flexibility with what play out like club options for the new GM crew. 

• Like 1

Ill also say that I would likely extend Edmunds if we can get him at a fair price.   Certainly wouldn't give him huge money, but he can be servicable next to Minkah.   If we can keep himat least through 2024, it would give us flexibility the next couple offseasons to focus primarily on the trenches.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 43M said:

I cant see any way we part from Jack after this season unless he is terrible going forward.    We have absolutely nothing beyond him next season and I doubt they are going to trust they can find 2 new starters on ILB for next season, on top of everything else.

Jack has been solid.    I wouldnt mind extending him for the right price.    He isnt a world beater, but he is a notable upgrade from what we have had the last few years.  

He reminds me of Lawrence Timmons. Solid and athletic. Not going to make big mistakes, but isn't a world beater. 

15 hours ago, 43M said:

Ill also say that I would likely extend Edmunds if we can get him at a fair price.   Certainly wouldn't give him huge money, but he can be servicable next to Minkah.   If we can keep himat least through 2024, it would give us flexibility the next couple offseasons to focus primarily on the trenches.

I agree. Edmunds has looked pretty good. He's a steady dude. 

16 hours ago, 43M said:

Think he signed for 1/$2.5 this year…..offer him 3/$10-12 mill somewhat backloaded.

Id also try to resign Kazee.

It would lockdown S for the next few years.

• Like 1