shouldn't there be a Brett Favre thread?

James Lofton

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I found a website that lists the 50 worst charities. None of the charities that I contribute to were on that list. Of course there are charities out there that are just a scam. That is especially true when you have a disaster like you have in Florida right now. But if you do your homework, you can avoid them. There are many charities that exist for all the wrong reasons. There are many that exist for all the right reasons. To lump them all together is irresponsible IMHO. 

Be real.

If you believe that there’s a single charity that doesn’t reward the people at the top more than the purpose of the charity, you’re naive.

Lots of charities do lots of good, but there isn’t a single solitary charity that’s ALL charity.

I would say that the very best charity out there gives 80% to the cause.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Be real.

If you believe that there’s a single charity that doesn’t reward the people at the top more than the purpose of the charity, you’re naive.

Lots of charities do lots of good, but there isn’t a single solitary charity that’s ALL charity.

I would say that the very best charity out there gives 80% to the cause.

Reallocation of funds is not unusual, which further adds to the strangeness of this case...I could see somebody who had a mediocre career and no endorsements to get entangled in something shady by the redirecting of money....Favre made around $138 million just playing football....He's currently worth around $100 million....He could simply write a check, go to the christenings of the projects, have a plaque mounted and just go home....

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Reallocation of funds is not unusual, which further adds to the strangeness of this case...I could see somebody who had a mediocre career and no endorsements to get entangled in something shady by the redirecting of money....Favre made around $138 million just playing football....He's currently worth around $100 million....He could simply write a check, go to the christenings of the projects, have a plaque mounted and just go home....

I'm not defending Favre.

I'm saying what Favre did is the same thing everyone does.

If I was ever in charge of a charity, I'd do the same thing probably. I'd like to think I wouldn't, but if I was getting hundreds of thousands of donations and I was running the thing, the first step would be, "Well, I gotta get paid." Then once hundreds of thousands turn into millions and the charity can't spend the money fast enough, sooner or later there's a savings or a trust or somewhere the money goes while it waits to go where it's supposed to go. Once that gets a little heavy, it's time to start investing some of it. Once that charity money is making its own money, and you're still getting donations, ain't no damn body not taking some (a lot) of that excess.

What Favre did was probably worse since he wasn't really all that involved as far as I know, and he just funneled funds straight to himself the way it looks like, but I haven't read up on it much so I don't know.

For all I know, Favre is completely innocent and his financial advisor or someone else decided to throw Favre under the bus.

I'm just saying that when there's that much money, corruption starts to take over and it gets to a point where...

I mean, how many millions and billions and billions of dollars have been spent on X,Y, or Z problems and yet those problems still exist?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

If this isn't the interwebs in a nutshell.

"I don't really know what I'm talking about and haven't bothered learning about it but here's my strongly formed opinion."

I literally haven’t offered an opinion on Favre and I literally stated that he might be fully responsible or not at all in literally the exact post you just quoted.

This point that you just made is not a point that is proven demonstrably false in the exact post you just quoted.

Shame on you, you should feel bad.

8 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

what did he blow all that money on holy cow 40 million in the red

21 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

what did he blow all that money on holy cow 40 million in the red

I wouldn't be surprised if Favre actually has less money than people think. I've heard of cases in the past where athletes who made tons of money ended up in financial trouble because they got greedy and invested their money foolishly. Plus, that fortress he built down in Mississippi had to cost a ton. 

favrerecap030508_fullsize_story5.jpg

34 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Favre actually has less money than people think. I've heard of cases in the past where athletes who made tons of money ended up in financial trouble because they got greedy and invested their money foolishly. Plus, that fortress he built down in Mississippi had to cost a ton. 

favrerecap030508_fullsize_story5.jpg

Mississippi is the poorest state in the country....19.6% poverty level....