Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

48 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers was the highest paid guy in the league in 2014, did we not make the Super Bowl that year because he was making too much money or was it because Brandon Bostick didn't do his job on an onside kick?

We could have used some of that money for a better ST player

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Until a QB breaks that barrier, that barrier is there.

And considering the barrier is 13% of the cap, when quarterbacks are getting 14, 15, 16, 17% of it, my entire point - you shouldn't pay your QB that much against the cap - is a good point.

The only people who argue against it are people who are fans of teams currently paying their QB 13, 14, 15, 16, 17% of the cap.

You're more than welcome to come back and tell me "I toad a so," as soon as a QB wins making that 13-17% against the cap, but until that happens...

I'd rather go with the odds and go all in on rookie QB contracts and remain hesitant to give out that big QB contract.

There's a reason GMs don't cycle first round QBs every 4-5 years. Franchises spend decades trying to find a QB worth paying, they aren't going to let a little salary cap accounting get in the way of keeping their guy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

There's a reason GMs don't cycle first round QBs every 4-5 years. Franchises spend decades trying to find a QB worth paying, they aren't going to let a little salary cap accounting get in the way of keeping their guy.

Give me consistent winning seasons/playoff appearances with a shot at winning it all over jumping on that QB carousel (which the team this thread is about has been on most of their existence) because of $$ reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StatKing said:

That’s actually what started this whole conversation.

If you were paying attention.

Teams have learned that’s no longer the case.

Goff was the start of this. Looked like a huge bust, then Fisher was fired, McVay made Goff look like not a bust.

So… Maybe follow along with the conversation.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s actually what started this whole conversation.

If you were paying attention.

Teams have learned that’s no longer the case.

Goff was the start of this. Looked like a huge bust, then Fisher was fired, McVay made Goff look like not a bust.

So… Maybe follow along with the conversation.

What league have you been watching the last 15 years? If anything the exact opposite of what your saying is true.

The reason QBs are taking a larger percentage of the cap than ever is because teams know that the league has gotten far more pass friendly. If you don't have a QB worth a damn your team is basically drawing dead from the start. Its 2022 not 2002, the days of being able to just play defense and run the ball are long gone.

You try to use Goff as an example but if I remember correctly the Rams made a SB with him, decided he wasn't good enough to get them over the hump then proceeded to trade him for a guy who was also highly paid and required a ton of draft capital to acquire.  How in the world does that resemble anything close to what you are saying they did?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StatKing said:

What league have you been watching the last 15 years? If anything the exact opposite of what your saying is true.

No, actually.

If you'd read with your eyes and not your butt, you'd see none of what you just said after this is what I said.

Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Tua T. All four had bust first years. All four replaced their head coaches. All four have looked like completely different quarterbacks.

The Seahawks just traded a franchise QB and their backup QB looks better than the QB they traded.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No, actually.

If you'd read with your eyes and not your butt, you'd see none of what you just said after this is what I said.

Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Tua T. All four had bust first years. All four replaced their head coaches. All four have looked like completely different quarterbacks.

The Seahawks just traded a franchise QB and their backup QB looks better than the QB they traded.

I would still rather have Josh Allen or Mahomes at 50 million a year than any of those QBs you listed. 

12 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Jared Goff was 13% of the Rams cap last year and they won the Super Bowl without him even being on the team. Stafford was another 10%. Nearly a quarter of the cap dedicated to one position yet they still won it all.

The Rams also pushed guaranteed money and gigantic caps into the future to compensate for this, including a 30 million dead cap hit for Donald. They have zero first round draft picks last year and 0 in the upcoming draft and will be paying 20+ million to a receiver, corner and DL this year, next year and the year after whether they're on the roster or not, all of which are over 28 years old and they will not be able to recover from that decision.

In order to compensate for that dead cap, they paid Donald under 2 million against the cap, same with Ramsey, and pushed those contracts into the future. And Cooper Kupp. So all they had to do was guarantee 23, 25 and 26 million to Ramsey for the next three years. Donald currently has a 73 million dead cap hit if he was to be released this year, 47 million next year.

They sold their future for a Super Bowl win, and it worked for them.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/jalen-ramsey-18953/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cooper-kupp-21811/

If you want to commit suicide by doing those contracts and losing any possible cap space or draft picks for three years, yeah, you can win a Super Bowl and then be where the Rams are.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

The Rams also pushed guaranteed money and gigantic caps into the future to compensate for this, including a 30 million dead cap hit for Donald. They have zero first round draft picks last year and 0 in the upcoming draft and will be paying 20+ million to a receiver, corner and DL this year, next year and the year after whether they're on the roster or not, all of which are over 28 years old and they will not be able to recover from that decision.

In order to compensate for that dead cap, they paid Donald under 2 million against the cap, same with Ramsey, and pushed those contracts into the future. And Cooper Kupp. So all they had to do was guarantee 23, 25 and 26 million to Ramsey for the next three years. Donald currently has a 73 million dead cap hit if he was to be released this year, 47 million next year.

They sold their future for a Super Bowl win, and it worked for them.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/jalen-ramsey-18953/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cooper-kupp-21811/

If you want to commit suicide by doing those contracts and losing any possible cap space or draft picks for three years, yeah, you can win a Super Bowl and then be where the Rams are.

They got their ring. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I would still rather have Josh Allen or Mahomes at 50 million a year than any of those QBs you listed. 

Go for it. But Tom Brady knows what he's doing. He's taken over 13% of the cap once in his entire career. He has 7 Super Bowl rings.

Which would you rather have, a Ben Roethlisberger type QB who makes a low of 6% against the cap and a high of 10% against the cap, or an Aaron Rodgers type who makes a low of 12% of the cap and a high of 17% against the cap?