Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, StatKing said:

They got their ring. That's all that matters.

I agree, and I would do it, and it has to be done when you're paying your QB that much money. The Packers certainly should have done it with Rodgers.

But look at the alternative... How many times in that postseason run were they one play away from everything going wrong?

Now imagine the Rams right now if they hadn't won the Super Bowl.

Look at that future. Stuck paying old players 20 million dollars and no help coming in the draft, no cap space available for free agency.

Stafford is back to Lion days of poor teams. He'll likely never return to the postseason.

What the Rams did are what teams need to do when their elite QB is 37-40 years old and they're prepared to start a rebuild.

The only thing the Rams did I wouldn't have done is trade first round picks. You can live with losing second round picks and beyond, but if your season goes against expectations and you end up missing out on a top 10 draft pick, you're not recovering from that for years.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I agree, and I would do it, and it has to be done when you're paying your QB that much money. The Packers certainly should have done it with Rodgers.

But look at the alternative... How many times in that postseason run were they one play away from everything going wrong?

Look at that future. Stuck paying old players 20 million dollars and no help coming in the draft, no cap space available for free agency.

Stafford is back to Lion days of poor teams. He'll likely never return to the postseason.

What the Rams did are what teams need to do when their elite QB is 37-40 years old and they're prepared to start a rebuild.

The only thing the Rams did I wouldn't have done is trade first round picks. You can live with losing second round picks and beyond, but if your season goes against expectations and you end up missing out on a top 10 draft pick, you're not recovering from that for years.

Ie deshaun there is know way we even make the playoffs this or next.

We only have a 2nd round pick

Berry's record with 2nd round

Delpit

Jok

Emerson

Play in the linebackers core and secondary is almost down 15 places on nfl rankings.

Defensive lineman 127 and 128 ranked.

43 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

But Tom Brady knows what he's doing. He's taken over 13% of the cap once in his entire career.

BECAUSE HE WAS MARRIED TO A BILLIONAIRE

And not only that, he wasn't taking those discounts on purpose and taking them pissed him off and is why he left NE and went somewhere, took a ton of money and won. This is such stupid, singular causal analysis it's incredibly incoherent and meaningless, you can take any singular framework, apply this kind of half assed causality to it and make it "real". It doesn't make it real.

Tom Brady taking less money was a once in a lifetime fluke that only happened because his wife was richer than him, that's never ever ever happening again, and no team is going to not pay one of these quarterbacks the money they deserve to do this. And like, your own example points out the idiocy here, Tom Brady won 7 championships in 20 years, that's going to inherently muddy the argument! That's obviously going to point to that one statistical cause being significant because he's such a transcendentally aberrant figure in NFL history.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not advocating QBs should be paid 20% of the cap but I understand why they do. I just think it's an unwinnable battle and it is what it is at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Just a couple prerequisites…

Have to have an elite DL first and have to have actually hit on some of your draft picks.

Also have to have a competent head coach.

Maybe in 20 years the Texans will do a couple of those things.

Don’t move the goalposts on me now. Can’t be adding prerequisites after putting the terms down.

And you’re being generous, thinking it’ll take the Texans 20 years is like assuming the Jordan Love pick wasn’t a massive bust of a pick, or assuming paying Aaron Rodgers $50mm at 38 was a good idea. You can think it, but the truth is CONSIDERABLY worse.