GDT - Week 4 - Happy Zappe

Hunter2_1

vs GB  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the greater total?

• Packers win margin
    • Patriots points scored

Lots of positives and I feel better about the game planning and play calling aside from the lack of aggressiveness at the end. 

A lot better performance than I had expected and yet that makes the loss harder to take. Both this and Baltimore could have been shocking upsets. 2-2 would feel a world different from 1-3.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

Lots of positives and I feel better about the game planning and play calling aside from the lack of aggressiveness at the end. 

A lot better performance than I had expected and yet that makes the loss harder to take. Both this and Baltimore could have been shocking upsets. 2-2 would feel a world different from 1-3.

Came away thinking 'if only Mac wasn't injured'. NFL Gen might not agree, but we win that with Mac, IMO. Not that Zappe was bad, but in key moments we needed a bit of experience on offense.

We did get lucky on the play clock call and the Doubs drop - those go the other way, like they would on average, it's a blowout. But as it stands, really strong performance. Classic BB, we just don't have the offense to take advantage. That's us in 2022. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Came away thinking 'if only Mac wasn't injured'. NFL Gen might not agree, but we win that with Mac, IMO. Not that Zappe was bad, but in key moments we needed a bit of experience on offense.

We did get lucky on the play clock call and the Doubs drop - those go the other way, like they would on average, it's a blowout. But as it stands, really strong performance. Classic BB, we just don't have the offense to take advantage. That's us in 2022. 

Agreed. Much like the loss to the Chiefs a couple of years ago with Hoyer in. 

We would have won with Mac, assuming the game plan was similar with less slinging unless absolutely required. 

I'm worried that that was one of the D's better performances all year and we can't afford to waste any of them. 

17 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

I know Tavai gets some hate on here but he had a couple of good plays, no?

I'm no fan of Taval however I thought he had a great game compared to Wilson, he replaced.  IMO he should play over Wilson going forward.

I'm happy with this rookie class so far. Glad to see Jack Jones finally playing more- guy is an impact player. I think we found one here and he's got a knack for creating turnovers.

So happy they canned the Bryant returning experience. Marcus Jones already looks great in that department. Now we just need Bryant to be benched as a slot corner. So tired of seeing this guy toasted.

Cannon needs to start in replace of Wynn. How many drives is this guy going to kill with his penalties? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

I'm no fan of Taval however I thought he had a great game compared to Wilson, he replaced.  IMO he should play over Wilson going forward.

Tavai was much better than expected, but you'll notice that once he started helping with run support GB ran outside and was effective. He's a fun thumper ala Bentley but he can't guard the outside like Wilson can. 

Wilson on the other hand has the athleticism but can get turned around unfortunately. I still really like Wilson but he's not a full time guy unfortunately. The LB experiment as a whole hasn't worked sadly.. we can expect ILB and OLB to be talked about a lot again this upcoming offseason. 

Looks like they are resigning Jamie Collins too.. furthering the point that BB isn't happy with the LB's. Henry To'oto'o here we come! 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I'm happy with this rookie class so far. Glad to see Jack Jones finally playing more- guy is an impact player. I think we found one here and he's got a knack for creating turnovers.

Agreed, lots of contributions and we haven't even truly seen Marcus Jones / Tyquan Thornton yet. This draft could look amazing if they pop off. 

33 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Cannon needs to start in replace of Wynn. How many drives is this guy going to kill with his penalties? 

I worry about Cannon holding up the entire season. Wynn needs to make something happen though .. otherwise he's not getting any money in free agency. It is in his best interest to put in work and look great the rest of the season if he wants to get paid. I want that comp pick! 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Wilson on the other hand has the athleticism but can get turned around unfortunately. I still really like Wilson but he's not a full time guy unfortunately. The LB experiment as a whole hasn't worked sadly.

IMO Wilson been a big disappointment.  I agree he has athleticism however he has no clue how to use it on the field.

Reminds me of Dylan Moses.  What's that saying,  All bronze...

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Wynn's got to go. A bust, I'd say.

I would target LT in the first round in April. 

He's been a bust for sure. Struggles to stay healthy and his play has regressed. I'm on the team start Cannon.

Agreed, tackle is probably the biggest need going into next season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

He's been a bust for sure. Struggles to stay healthy and his play has regressed. I'm on the team start Cannon.

Agreed, tackle is probably the biggest need going into next season.

@Hunter2_1Here is the #1 rated LT.  Peter Skoronski,  Northwestern.   Impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6BFEx5yb58

Haven't watch much yet but he really sticks out.

7 hours ago, m haynes said:

@Hunter2_1Here is the #1 rated LT.  Peter Skoronski,  Northwestern.   Impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6BFEx5yb58

Haven't watch much yet but he really sticks out.

It's a real shame that Andrew Steuber got injured as soon as he got drafted. I would have really enjoyed seeing him compete for that RT spot. He seems very much like the steady RT they would like on this team.. he isn't going to be hyper athletic but he's strong and could be an above average RT for awhile from what he showed at Michigan. I hope he's able to get healthy and compete for that RT spot next year. Given that Trent Brown is signed for another year it gives them a bit more time to draft a guy who needs a year to transition. I haven't heard much of anything about this OT class, so i'm not feeling amazing about it right now. As much as I want a LT, I don't want to reach if you can get an elite talent at a different position. 

We can look at their draft history a little bit though: Michigan / Georgia are two schools that they've gone to the well for often to find OL. Broderick Jones I think is an OT at Georgia but I haven't watched him

They have so many needs for elite talent that they've just got to go with whoever drops to them.. they can't focus on a position unfortunately. 

- LT / WR / DL / OLB / ILB / FS could all be 1st round "needs" 

If things go REALLLLY south, get prepared to hear about Chasen Hines though.. put him in at RG and Onwenu at RT. The only reason why I wouldn't do that already is that I hate messing with Onwenu so much. He's done well this season and I think they should just extend him already and lock up both OG spots for the next 4 years. Cannon and Wynn are both injury prone though.. so we could easily see this scenario at some point out of necessity. 

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I haven't heard much of anything about this OT class, so i'm not feeling amazing about it right now. As much as I want a LT, I don't want to reach

So far I haven't seen much at LT however there is not much film on them so far.  That's why Skoronski sticks out he's a definite possibility. High choice.

Broderick Jones I think is an OT at Georgia

This is just off the top of my head. I have to look at Geogia OL in the NFL. Two come to mind is Wynn and NYG Thomas. Big disappointments in the NFL. Geogia is a predominate run team maybe the OL players are not good pass protectors? Not sure but its a thought.  I tend to look at the program when I look at the draft. EX OL = BC, Mich.

Chasen Hines though.. put him in at RG and Onwenu at RT.

they should just extend him already

Two good points.  Sign Onwenu that way he not upset if they move him around.

IMO it was a major mistake moving Wynn to RT when he's on the last year of his contract.