Gameplan- Run heavy playaction offense

mar29020

With B-rob coming back we should be a run heavy offense like we were with Gibbs and Mark Brunell. We Should be run heavy and running play action shots and boot legs with carson. We should NOT be pass happy with our current o line. I feel like we can have decent success on the ground but they just have to stick with it. I remember when we had gibbs we would be getting stuffed in the run game but by the 3rd quarter we would be gashing them because we stuck with it. I do not think we can currently judge carson fairly off the past two weeks which the pass blocking was abysmal. Yes there are some sack that are his fault, but most of the time it is on the oline. Rivera failed carson by putting this trash line together and signing former panthers. We not what carson is, he's got a long wind up and can hold the ball, but he can also make all the throws, therefor he NEEDS a good o-line to be successful. That should of been priority number one with carson. Also, the picks rivera has made on the line seem like they can not play, i think cosmi can be good, but he is probably a better fit at guard.

1 minute ago, mar29020 said:

wrong, it works. Its biting on the run fake. Teams have done it for years.

Every play action they called in the Dallas game they got absolutely clobbered.  Either somehow the playcall is being tipped off before the snap or Wentz isn't selling it enough but the play action hasn't been working at all. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Every play action they called in the Dallas game they got absolutely clobbered.  Either somehow the playcall is being tipped off before the snap or Wentz isn't selling it enough but the play action hasn't been working at all. 

It’s both Wentz and the OL, from what I can see. I have to credit Chris Cooley for pointing this out first, but the OL is not selling PA by carrying out any kind of run fakes. They’re basically just doing pass sets, which everyone is seeing and attacking. And with Wentz being half-hearted in his ball-handling, it’s creating a lot of problems.

As Cooley said, at a certain point you’re just making things more complicated for no reason, if you’re making him turn his back and fake a hand-off instead of reading the defense immediately. PA only works if the fake works, and if no one’s buying it, you’re just making things harder for him and for your OL. 

• Like 3

First, has it been reporter that Brian Robinson is coming back this week and I missed it? He has to be cleared to play before any of this conversation can happen.

Also, as everyone has said, behind this offensive line, none of what you said seems plausible.

I would rather them admit they failed, tank the season so the new regime at least has a top pick to work with. 

Some history for you. Back in the 80s and early 90s we had the Hogs and a very good defensive line. We won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. We kept forgetting the most important thing was that if your lines are above average then a descent QB has a chance to win games for you. We managed for a while to have two excellent LTs one after the other and a presumed RT that became a guard. We rarely invested in the line till the 2010s when we went 4 defensive linemen with our first round picks! Unfortunately only the DTs are worth anything. We picked Young when we should have gone after a QB. With our first three picks in the drafts, we should always grab a offensive or defensive lineman. This team constantly manages to shoot itself. Most times when you have an above average player when he becomes a free agent he wants to run like hell away from here, even when we offer more money. This team needs needs to be disbanded.

21 minutes ago, rbcavalier said:

Some history for you. Back in the 80s and early 90s we had the Hogs and a very good defensive line. We won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. We kept forgetting the most important thing was that if your lines are above average then a descent QB has a chance to win games for you. We managed for a while to have two excellent LTs one after the other and a presumed RT that became a guard. We rarely invested in the line till the 2010s when we went 4 defensive linemen with our first round picks! Unfortunately only the DTs are worth anything. We picked Young when we should have gone after a QB. With our first three picks in the drafts, we should always grab a offensive or defensive lineman. This team constantly manages to shoot itself. Most times when you have an above average player when he becomes a free agent he wants to run like hell away from here, even when we offer more money. This team needs needs to be disbanded.

Look at teams with historically good track records at developing OL like the Steelers and Ravens, and they do this just about every year, drafting someone in the first three rounds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We averaged 5.3 YPC against Dallas and 142 yards total on the ground, with the Old Man almost getting 10 YPC.  Not sure the running game is killing us here.  

Gibson has been overall pretty solid this year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Look at teams with historically good track records at developing OL like the Steelers and Ravens, and they do this just about every year, drafting someone in the first three rounds.  

Yup. @Wozand I have advocated that same strategy for years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. @Wozand I have advocated that same strategy for years now.

We did pretty well w/ that for several years with Bruce Allen/ McCloughan/ Gruden/Kyle Smith but it hasn’t been continued. Rivera has just signed vets near or over 30 except for Cosmi to try to replace the drafted & developed players he inherited. 

2014: Moses & Spencer Long

2015: Scherff

2017: Taken late but Roullier was a good pick 

2018: Gerron Christian

Then you have Rivera who’s just taken Cosmi as an OL in the first 3 rounds of his 3 drafts & he cut Moses & didn’t retain Ereck Flowers who should be starters on our OL right now. Scherff was out of his control, but he Flowers was a top 10 OL pick & Moses was a good OT pick for a 3rd rounder. Our OL would be better today if we had those 2 on it to go with Leno & Norwell.