Way too much WR pondering on a game day

AZBearsFan

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If they re-sign Fuller and Amukamara I don't see CB as a 1st round need at all.

Need to support Trubisky.

I can see one back but should they really both be back? Zero takeaways from both of your starting corners is not good enough. This is 2 years in a row for Prince too. We shouldn’t bring him back at $7M per if he can’t take the ball away. 

Supporting Trubisky doesn’t mean going ape **** getting him every weapon we can find. It means surrounding him with actual NFL weapons and a modern scheme. Look at Philly’s WRs. None of them are on even a 1000 yard pace. Ertz and Alshon are legit but do Agholor or Torrey Smith strike fear in you? I think they’re pretty replacement level personally. They’re complementary pieces. What about the Rams? Their best WR (Woods) was a 2nd tier FA pickup and Kupp is a 2nd round rookie from directional Washington. Their “top” WR (Watkins) is 4th on the team in catches and yards. Wentz and Goff are MVP candidates with those supporting casts with a modern offensive scheme. There is zero reason we can’t see that with Trubisky next year with comparable talent and the right coaching staff. 

I think gunning after Sammy Watkins/Allen Robinson should be our top priority, and if that fails find your next best option in FA and draft a WR in round 2.

Round 1 has to be a pass rusher, IMO. McPhee is done and Young is old as balls.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If they re-sign Fuller and Amukamara I don't see CB as a 1st round need at all.

Need to support Trubisky.

Even if they do resign them both if a pass rusher like Chubb or Key isn’t there I can see them going for Fitzpatrick or James. One of those for should be there. 

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think gunning after Sammy Watkins/Allen Robinson should be our top priority, and if that fails find your next best option in FA and draft a WR in round 2.

Yeah unless we somehow end up with Ansah I agree wholeheartedly we should go pass rusher in round 1. Not only could we get a guy opposite Floyd, but 2 potentially really good edge rushers both completely cost controlled for the next 3 years? That would be a coup, especially with a QB also under a rookie deal at that time. 

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

Not gonna lie Sammy Watkins scares the crap outta me. He’s gonna get a huge FA contract but hasn’t really earned it IMO. He’s been his team’s “#1” WR all 4 years of his career and has never topped 65 catches in any season and barring a 100 yards/gm clip the next 6 weeks will have only topped 1000 yards once. He’s averaging less than 4 targets a week right now (38 in 10 games). By contrast Woods has 70 and Kupp 61. Tyler Higbee has 38 targets too. Watson’s not even featured in that offense even though he’s obviously the most physically gifted WR they have. Giving that guy something like 5/60 sounds like an unwise investment. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can see one back but should they really both be back? Zero takeaways from both of your starting corners is not good enough. This is 2 years in a row for Prince too. We shouldn’t bring him back at $7M per if he can’t take the ball away. 

Supporting Trubisky doesn’t mean going ape **** getting him every weapon we can find. It means surrounding him with actual NFL weapons and a modern scheme. Look at Philly’s WRs. None of them are on even a 1000 yard pace. Ertz and Alshon are legit but do Agholor or Torrey Smith strike fear in you? I think they’re pretty replacement level personally. They’re complementary pieces. What about the Rams? Their best WR (Woods) was a 2nd tier FA pickup and Kupp is a 2nd round rookie from directional Washington. Their “top” WR (Watkins) is 4th on the team in catches and yards. Wentz and Goff are MVP candidates with those supporting casts with a modern offensive scheme. There is zero reason we can’t see that with Trubisky next year with comparable talent and the right coaching staff. 

The Eagles, Rams, and Chiefs remind me of Andy Reid's Eagles, when they wouldn't have a 1000 yard receiver (or maybe Desean Jackson would just crack 1000) but like seven guys on the roster would have 400-700 receiving yards on the season.

35 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

The Eagles, Rams, and Chiefs remind me of Andy Reid's Eagles, when they wouldn't have a 1000 yard receiver (or maybe Desean Jackson would just crack 1000) but like seven guys on the roster would have 400-700 receiving yards on the season.

Agreed. Makes it harder to defend, like Detroit now compared to when they ran their offense through Megatron. QBs also won't force the ball if they have talent all around, unlike when we first got Marshall, and there was no other receiving talent around him. I much prefer this type of offense, and then hopefully if one pick develops into a legitimate number one they just become that more dangerous. I feel it is safer too, as your offense isn't SOL if one WR goes down.

Sign me up for 2 of the 2nd tier WRs instead of the major deal for Adams or Watkins.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. Makes it harder to defend, like Detroit now compared to when they ran their offense through Megatron. QBs also won't force the ball if they have talent all around, unlike when we first got Marshall, and there was no other receiving talent around him. I much prefer this type of offense, and then hopefully if one pick develops into a legitimate number one they just become that more dangerous. I feel it is safer too, as your offense isn't SOL if one WR goes down.

Sign me up for 2 of the 2nd tier WRs instead of the major deal for Adams or Watkins.

I don't know, I think there are pros and cons to both. You mentioned a lot of good pros of the "no dominant single receiver" depth chart. I think the con to that method is there isn't a receiver who can just flat-out take over a game.

Then again though, the Giants won a Super Bowl with Nicks/Manningham/Cruz with some pretty clutch catches and all three guys quickly vanished after that, so I guess it just depends on the situation.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

I don't know, I think there are pros and cons to both. You mentioned a lot of good pros of the "no dominant single receiver" depth chart. I think the con to that method is there isn't a receiver who can just flat-out take over a game.

Then again though, the Giants won a Super Bowl with Nicks/Manningham/Cruz with some pretty clutch catches and all three guys quickly vanished after that, so I guess it just depends on the situation.

That is true  and why I would still want to take a swing at drafting a very talented/high ceiling player. I absolutely want to get a top tier WR, I just don't want to shell out so much resources on a FA WR just to see us struggle if/when he goes down or when that player meets a lockdown corner.

It is worth noting that Manningham and Cruz both were delivering until their injuries derailed their careers, though all three did rather suddenly disappear as you said.

Count me on board the multiple WR route.  First off I highly doubt the bears ability as an organization to land a top tier free agent. We saw it last year with Stephan Gilmore big ticket players just don't want to come here.  Secondly I think Allen Robsinson is resigned by the Jags, Sammy Watkins will be resign too, Adams probably doesn't want to lose to the packers twice a year by coming to the bears.  If the bears truly want a  #1 WR they will have to reach for Ridley in the first round.     

3 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Count me on board the multiple WR route.  First off I highly doubt the bears ability as an organization to land a top tier free agent. We saw it last year with Stephan Gilmore big ticket players just don't want to come here.  Secondly I think Allen Robsinson is resigned by the Jags, Sammy Watkins will be resign too, Adams probably doesn't want to lose to the packers twice a year by coming to the bears.  If the bears truly want a  #1 WR they will have to reach for Ridley in the first round.     

Last year was very strange: a team with decent cap settling for middle-tier-and-lower FAs left and and right. I thought a lot about that at the time, and I'm not sure we know why it worked out like that.  Lots of possibilities, from Chicago being an unattractive football destination, to thinking Fox was a lame duck, to the Bears taking part in that workmans comp Senate bill...  after the fact, I really think it's a lot less interesting, and Pace was just playing a super disclipined value game.  It sure didn't work out, but I think he just stuck to his valuations and didn't budge. He probably assumed at least one of the big names would bite and then no one did.  My theory anyway.

I think they're a lot more likely to make it rain this year, provided there is anyone worthy at their positions of need at least! I like some of the names about (especially Robinson) but it's pretty thin at WR. I would love to see some OL depth, and a big name corner and OLB brought in, but I also want that pony for Christmas. 

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Last year was very strange: a team with decent cap settling for middle-tier-and-lower FAs left and and right. I thought a lot about that at the time, and I'm not sure we know why it worked out like that.  Lots of possibilities, from Chicago being an unattractive football destination, to thinking Fox was a lame duck, to the Bears taking part in that workmans comp Senate bill...  after the fact, I really think it's a lot less interesting, and Pace was just playing a super disclipined value game.  It sure didn't work out, but I think he just stuck to his valuations and didn't budge. He probably assumed at least one of the big names would bite and then no one did.  My theory anyway.

I think they're a lot more likely to make it rain this year, provided there is anyone worthy at their positions of need at least! I like some of the names about (especially Robinson) but it's pretty thin at WR. I would love to see some OL depth, and a big name corner and OLB brought in, but I also want that pony for Christmas. 

“It’s where recievers go to die” moose Muhammad. I bet that is still the sentiment around the league.  Devante Adams is thinking why would I come to the bears. To lose twice a year against my old team. Sammy Watkins is out in LA with a young QB and a young head coach.  Allen Robinson has a good situation in Jax     Bears will try but coming to Chicago is not going to be on top of the list for Adams Watkins or Robinson. 

Archived