Week 5 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers

J-ALL-DAY

I'm sure most are still excited from last night's win and will be wanting to talk more about the Rams game, but thought I'd at least start this thread.

No need for a big breakdown for this game. The Panthers have a solid defense and a poor offense. You have to respect guys like Moore/CMC/etc, but our defense has been the best in the league through four weeks and I don't expect a slip up here. Stop the run and then get after Baker.

Offensively, just need to continue getting the run game going and taking advantage of the open receivers in the passing game. We still missed a few opportunities last night but at least we saw glimpses of our offense that we saw last season during our late season run. Our OL will be tested again against the Panthers DL so I'm curious to see how they hold up. Banks has been MUCH better than anyone could have expected and he's a few good weeks away from being considered an actual good and reliable player. Burford? He still has work to do and is further away. 

Anyways, I expect Kittle to be used more in the passing game unlike the first two weeks and after a fairly slow start, we start to pull away in the 2nd half.

49ers 27

Panthers 10 

Two old NFC West foes on the horizon the next two weeks har har har. 49ers have to capitalize on what are inferior squads on paper and nab those two essentially "gimmie" road wins. After that it's four straight against quality triggermen. 

4-2 with no major injuries before Mahomes comes to bring the Armageddon would be nice. Want the boys to at minimum make the season interesting :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Two old NFC West foes on the horizon the next two weeks har har har. 49ers have to capitalize on what are inferior squads on paper and nab those two essentially "gimmie" road wins. After that it's four straight against quality triggermen. 

4-2 with no major injuries before Mahomes comes to bring the Armageddon would be nice. Want the boys to at minimum make the season interesting :)

4-2 would put us in a great position and exactly where we need to be before facing off against the Chiefs/Rams. And if we split those two games before the bye week? 5-3 with the Chargers/Cardinals/Saints coming up? I will take that! The Cardinals kicked our butts last season but we shouldn't lose to them this year and the Commanders look pathetic and I don't know what the Raiders are at this point. We have a chance to end the season on a four game win streak so getting to 5-3 before the bye week would be very clutch. All but guarantees us a playoff spot and a home game in the WC round. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

Updated DVOA rankings:

Overall - 7th

Offense - 21st

Defense - 1st

STs - 28th

Well, all that investment in the STs and it doesn't seem to be paying off lol. McCloud has now lost the ball in consecutive games, Gould has missed two FGs, including one being blocked and returned for a TD and while Wish has been great for the most part, he wasn't all that good last night. Not having Moore did not help though as one of the punts should have been downed inside the 10 yard line instead of it being a touchback. 

The offense will need to get close to the top 10 mark and this team will be one of the top SB contenders in the NFC. 

Should be an easy win. Kittle will finally have his first big day statistically, with a TD or two. Niners go up early and the defense will take over.. Baker will be trying to force feed Moore again, so I expect Ward to jump one and maybe take it back for 6. 

31-9 🥱

Just now, adamq said:

Should be an easy win. Kittle will finally have his first big day statistically, with a TD or two. Niners go up early and the defense will take over.. Baker will be trying to force feed Moore again, so I expect Ward to jump one and maybe take it back for 6. 

31-9 🥱

The Panthers defense is pretty good. I think we will struggle offensively. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Panthers defense is pretty good. I think we will struggle offensively. 

I'm not so sure.. they couldn't stop anyone last year and didn't do anything to add to the defense this summer.. they seem to have played pretty well against Arizona, but NY is dreadful, Jameis was hobbled, and Cleveland ran all over them.

We just saw what the Niners did to LA's defense, I have to think (hope... pray...) Jimmy will keep getting better as he gets more PT

54 minutes ago, adamq said:

I'm not so sure.. they couldn't stop anyone last year and didn't do anything to add to the defense this summer.. they seem to have played pretty well against Arizona, but NY is dreadful, Jameis was hobbled, and Cleveland ran all over them.

We just saw what the Niners did to LA's defense, I have to think (hope... pray...) Jimmy will keep getting better as he gets more PT

Top ten in yards per play against, top 12 in dvoa. Top 10 in net yards per attempt. They would be top ten in yards per attempt, but Chubb is an alien. That would be like criticizing us for what kupp did last night.  And they are doing stuff like that while getting 0 help from the offense which stresses the d more. It's definitely not a bad defense. 

They do need to get more consistent pressure from people not named Brian burns. 

I really wasn't all that impressed with the offense against the Rams. It was fine

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I hate to say it because I hate to make it seem like I'm taking any team lightly (bears game should teach us not to do that), but man, I'd really consider scratching AA the next two weeks

I mean he may not play regardless because of the ankle injury he suffered. This was a different injury than the one he was dealing with. It's a shame because my goodness was he a force in the early going of the Rams game. Our DL depth is insane though as Givens and Ridgeway have played very good ball so we should be fine.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Top ten in yards per play against, top 12 in dvoa. Top 10 in net yards per attempt. They would be top ten in yards per attempt, but Chubb is an alien. That would be like criticizing us for what kupp did last night.  And they are doing stuff like that while getting 0 help from the offense which stresses the d more. It's definitely not a bad defense. 

They do need to get more consistent pressure from people not named Brian burns. 

I really wasn't all that impressed with the offense against the Rams. It was fine

Yep, the defense looks rock solid. We should still be able to have success against them but it may be a bit ugly at times lol. The Rams game for the most part went very smooth for the offense but they just weren't able to take advantage of certain drives and that was the main reason for only scoring 17 points. That game should have produced at a minimum of 24-27 points. You can't average 7.1 YPP and only come away with 17 points. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Rams game for the most part went very smooth for the offense but they just weren't able to take advantage of certain drives and that was the main reason for only scoring 17 points. That game should have produced at a minimum of 24-27 points. You can't average 7.1 YPP and only come away with 17 points. 

The issue that concerns me is that this is a pretty large sample size of doing this now. It's not new. We were second in yards per play last year, but only 13th in points per game and that was with us having a big of an outlier season where it was first in redzone TD percentage (not overly common in SF or for Shanny through the years).