2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

This might be a crazy idea but what if we put Najee on IR for 4 games. Give McFarland a hat and run a duo of him and Warren. Lets Najee get healthy and a lot more explosiveness in the backfield. 

Pounding Najee with 11 carries for 20 yards is not a recipe for success. I know he was a first round pick and is a team captain but if Tomlin is serious about making changes, it’s time to at least give Warren the bulk of the carries.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

New regime will want their guy. Kenny isn’t established enough to warrant hiring a coach around. 

Not following your logic at all here. If Kenny continues to have a promising season there would be no reason for a new regime to use a 1st on a QB just to get “their guy.”

If Kenny somehow falls on his face and we have a chance at Stroud or Young, sure. Far from a “guarantee” that happens though.

Edited by bigben07MVP

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

New regime will want their guy. Kenny isn’t established enough to warrant hiring a coach around. 

Not that I care one way or another at this point, but I can all but guarantee they wont "clean house" on the coaching staff this upcoming offseason, and as long as Tomlin and Khan are there (which I fully believe they will be NEXT YEAR), there is ALMOST no way thats going to happen.     

Beyond that, we see where this team is.     There are issues around this team far bigger than QB.     Picking top 5 could be an absolutely amazing opportunity to either load up on picks that can help us restore talent, or at the very least allow us to have a shot at a blue chip prospect in the trenches, whether on offense or defense.

I do agree that IF we were to clean house, there is a decent chance Kenny would be out, but I just dont see that.   As mediocre and complacent as the Tomlin regime has become, I dont see Rooney getting rid of him.    The media would crucify him for firing Tomlin after "one bad season", with a rookie QB, numerous injuries....oh, and Art II is a giant ******* coward.    

I see the biggest changes coming on offense and perhaps some shifting on defense.   Since its Austin's first year, losing TJ Watt will help him keep his job, along with several other factors.

Outside of Canada, I see Tomlin and much of the defensive staff getting a mulligan.    And Khan isnt getting fired after one year, especially when our first draft picks under him are already looking like they can be impact players.

Bottom line....there is next to no chance Tomlin isnt our coach and Kenny isnt our QB next year.   2024 could be a different story....

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Those handful of examples are also the handful of examples where our talent wasn’t at a big hit. I think there’s plenty of times were ready to play even in a loss. Like all of 2020. 

But this is kinda my side of it there in your first sentence: so are we good (when we are good) because of talent, because of coaching, or because of both? 

As of now, I’m leaning talent. I just don’t see a ton to hang out hat on. 

This is very chicken/egg. But going through a really bad season, I imagine more questions get asked along the way about all the people in the head sets. 

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

But this is kinda my side of it there in your first sentence: so are we good (when we are good) because of talent, because of coaching, or because of both? 

Both. It’s always both. That’s why you can’t think of a team that wasn’t that talented that coaching made that big of a difference. 

Zac Taylor - Most talented WR room in the NFL, talented QB, top 10 RB, and a defense with multiple high draft picks. 
Bill Belichick - You comment about his defensive schemes but when he doesn’t have the players it isn’t good. And his scheme isn’t all that sophisticated. CB1 on WR2, CB2 on WR1 with safety help or LB bracket coverage. 
Andy Reid - Bringing up the Alex Smith years? Smith might not have been elite but he was really good. But they also had Jamaal Charles or Kareem Hunt each on of those years who were top 5 backs. Kelce and Hill were there the latter years. Defense was top 10 the first 4 years too. 

Any coach wins because they have talent on the team. It’s not a chicken and egg argument. Even if you want to look at the last decade for us, what talent are you talking about. Ben, Brown, Bell, Pouncey, DeCastro? And what? We should all recognize the defense was terrible for years. 

My personal opinion:

Tomlin has been holding this team together for years from a coaching perspective. It hasn’t been talented and had no business being in the playoffs certain years. 

What has been the failure is the involvement of the coaching staff in player selection. Even Belichick hasn’t been good at player evaluation draft wise. Teams where the HC has too much say tend to end up struggling. Teams where the GM gets to make the call with the scouting staff, since that’s what they do all year, do fine talent wise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Not that I care one way or another at this point, but I can all but guarantee they wont "clean house" on the coaching staff this upcoming offseason, and as long as Tomlin and Khan are there (which I fully believe they will be NEXT YEAR), there is ALMOST no way thats going to happen.     

I was playing along with the scenario. But I agree with this. Khan, Weidl, the FO and Tomlin are all staying. I wouldn’t be confident outside of that. Actually. The OL coach too. He’s done well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Not following your logic at all here. If Kenny continues to have a promising season there would be no reason for a new regime to use a 1st on a QB just to get “their guy.”

If Kenny somehow falls on his face and we have a chance at Stroud or Young, sure. Far from a “guarantee” that happens though.

My logic is what you just said. Kenny isn’t established enough. He needs to set the world on fire so if a whole new coaching staff were there, they are being built around Kenny. 

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

This might be a crazy idea but what if we put Najee on IR for 4 games. Give McFarland a hat and run a duo of him and Warren. Lets Najee get healthy and a lot more explosiveness in the backfield. 

Pounding Najee with 11 carries for 20 yards is not a recipe for success. I know he was a first round pick and is a team captain but if Tomlin is serious about making changes, it’s time to at least give Warren the bulk of the carries.

Najee is never going to be explosive.  He does not have the speed to bounce it out side.  Never will.  They would do better to design running plays ( draft oline)  in the same vein as Derik Henry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Najee is never going to be explosive.  He does not have the speed to bounce it out side.  Never will.  They would do better to design running plays ( draft oline)  in the same vein as Derik Henry.

And give him the ball 20 times a game.

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What has been the failure is the involvement of the coaching staff in player selection. Even Belichick hasn’t been good at player evaluation draft wise. Teams where the HC has too much say tend to end up struggling. Teams where the GM gets to make the call with the scouting staff, since that’s what they do all year, do fine talent wise. 

Totally agree.  The Steeler's average drafting position since 2004 has been about 20.  You go that long and it is bound to drain talent on the team.  They need a losing season and a top 10 ( or top 5) pick to start making it up.

You look at the Colts at the end of Manning's time.  He had kept them drafting very high for 12 years and when he went down they went straight to the #1 pick.  Luck got a raw deal because the Colts bounced right back and never got to renew the talent with those high picks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Totally agree.  The Steeler's average drafting position since 2004 has been about 20.  You go that long and it is bound to drain talent on the team.  They need a losing season and a top 10 ( or top 5) pick to start making it up.

You look at the Colts at the end of Manning's time.  He had kept them drafting very high for 12 years and when he went down they went straight to the #1 pick.  Luck got a raw deal because the Colts bounced right back and never got to renew the talent with those high picks. 

You'll like the exercise I did here then:

It's gotta be Anderson #1 on the draft list, right? Our pass rush is pathetic without TJ. The other options are D-line and CB. I think our line is serviceable with Leal, Adams, Loudermilk, Aging Heyward. D-line can be addressed later. CB is a strong possibility too, but our pass rush is embarrassing. Much worse than our secondary. Levi Wallace was a good find. Sutton is in line for an extension, along with Edmunds IMO. We've still got Minkah roaming back there. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It's gotta be Anderson #1 on the draft list, right? Our pass rush is pathetic without TJ. The other options are D-line and CB. I think our line is serviceable with Leal, Adams, Loudermilk, Aging Heyward. D-line can be addressed later. CB is a strong possibility too, but our pass rush is embarrassing. Much worse than our secondary. Levi Wallace was a good find. Sutton is in line for an extension, along with Edmunds IMO. We've still got Minkah roaming back there. 

It’s gonna be interesting for sure because I put LT up there too. As long as we stay top ten, Anderson, Brecee, Johnson, and Sotoranski are up there on my list. 

Im not as huge as checking on this site as much as I used to because he’s becomes slightly unhinged but Walter football has us taking Antonio Johnson CB TAM RD1, and Anton Harrison OT Okla ; Charlie has us going Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland and Storm Duck CB UNC.