2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s gonna be interesting for sure because I put LT up there too. As long as we stay top ten, Anderson, Brecee, Johnson, and Sotoranski are up there on my list. 

Im not as huge as checking on this site as much as I used to because he’s becomes slightly unhinged but Walter football has us taking Antonio Johnson CB TAM RD1, and Anton Harrison OT Okla ; Charlie has us going Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland and Storm Duck CB UNC. 

I've heard that the OT class is more middle first round talent. Nobody in that blue chip, elite, class. I've heard really good things about that Duncan kid from Maryland, though. I figure if we're that high it HAS to be a blue chipper. The  Sotoranski kid looks to be the leader in the clubhouse, but I'm not convinced he's anything special in terms of physical makeup. But, I'm far from a draft expert. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've heard that the OT class is more middle first round talent. Nobody in that blue chip, elite, class. I've heard really good things about that Duncan kid from Maryland, though. I figure if we're that high it HAS to be a blue chipper. The kid from Sotoranski kid looks to be the leader in the clubhouse, but I'm not convinced he's anything special. But, I'm far from a draft expert. 

I think the LT’s are all somewhat similar.  Tacticians at the position on athletic beasts.  And personally, I prefer that.  But I’m with you, need a blue chipper right now out of pick this high.

On a related/unrelated note:

Carolina just fired Matt Rhule.  They would likely kill for a coach like Tomlin at this point.  Tepper was a part owner of the Steelers before buying the Panthers.  IF Tomlin has any interest in being in Carolina, I would entertain trading him there for multiple picks.  That’s the only way I’m ok with Tomlin not being the coach any more.  Can’t fire him and let him just walk somewhere.

• Like 1

They can’t go wrong with pretty much any of  OL/DL/Edge/CB with a top 10 pick.

Highsmith is solid but is a FA after 2023…plus Watt is 28…It be nice to have an elite pass rusher on the other side of Watt especially when he starts slowing down a bit in the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

They can’t go wrong with pretty much any of  OL/DL/Edge/CB with a top 10 pick.

Highsmith is solid but is a FA after 2023…plus Watt is 28…It be nice to have an elite pass rusher on the other side of Watt especially when he starts slowing down a bit in the next 2-3 years.

If there was a Quentin Nelson type of OG, I'd take him in the top 10. It doesn't look like there is one, though. As early as we are right now, I'm looking at CB or EDGE. If  we could get a truly lockdown CB, that would allow us to move Sutton around. That's where he's best. Wallace can be our #3. I wish the Anderson from Bama was a little more physically imposing. Smaller EDGE guys worry me. It seems like Von Miller is the exception, and he got huge in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If there was a Quentin Nelson type of OG, I'd take him in the top 10. It doesn't look like there is one, though. As early as we are right now, I'm looking at CB or EDGE. If  we could get a truly lockdown CB, that would allow us to move Sutton around. That's where he's best. Wallace can be our #3. I wish the Anderson from Bama was a little more physically imposing. Smaller EDGE guys worry me. It seems like Von Miller is the exception, and he got huge in the NFL. 

I’m dying for a true lockdown corner.  But sadly Tomlin believes in “sides” not matchup.  I really wanted Elam, he’s looking good.  Wanted Newsome, and he looks good.  Byron Murphy/Rock Ya-sin who both are looking good.  Ugh.  There’s been so many good ones and we keep on relying on later picks to do it.

And this stuff is all pre-Tomlin too of devaluing certain positions.  I really hope Khan changes that.

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Don’t trying to say it’s simple but with such a high 1st rounder, I looK at guys who can do 1 of 2 things…help the QB or stop the opposing teams QB.

What they do in  FA of course will be a factor…they’ll sign a few guys.

S and MLB would be main targets with the early 2nd since I’m assuming 1 of those will be taken care of in FA.

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

What the heck is going for 4th and 13 down 4 scores in the mid-4th gonna do? Not many teams have a play for that situation.

Ive seen hundreds if not thousands of plays in my lifetime where a team had a play on either 3rd or 4th down with 13 or more yards to go. Are you trying to tell me this was some kind of ground breaking scenario that a professional coach of 30-40 years of football was unprepared for? Maybe you are joking? I don't know what was dumber , trying to kick a 45 yd field goal in 17-20mph swirling winds where your special teams had numerous issues or doing it down by 28 points with 7 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. The fat inconsistent punter that he seems to make all kinds of excuses for kicked a 26 yd punt and hes trying to kick 45 yd field goals.

Funny thing is Harvin is so inconsistently horrible that maybe Tomlin couldn't tell the wind was an issue 33 yds, 26 yds, 34 yds. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

Don’t trying to say it’s simple but with such a high 1st rounder, I looK at guys who can do 1 of 2 things…help the QB or stop the opposing teams QB.

What they do in  FA of course will be a factor…they’ll sign a few guys.

S and MLB would be main targets with the early 2nd since I’m assuming 1 of those will be taken care of in FA.

Bad year to have a lot of money for FA.  Hell, we should look more are rolling it over than using it.

Offensively: Orlando Brown Jr, Jack Conklin, Kareem Hunt, David Montgomery are the cream of the drop.

Defensively: Jessie Bates, A’Shawn Robinson, Bradley Chubb, Poona Ford, Roquan Smith

Of course tags can effect this.

Without dIrving too deep, without taxes, 2024 features: Tunsil, Trey Hendrickson, Shaquille Griffin, Kenny Moore, Conner Williams, KJ Hamler, Grant Delpit, Antoine Winfield, Julian Blackmon, Dexter Lawrence, Chris Lindstrom, Christian Wilkins. 

10 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Ive seen hundreds if not thousands of plays in my lifetime where a team had a play on either 3rd or 4th down with 13 or more yards to go. Are you trying to tell me this was some kind of ground breaking scenario that a professional coach of 30-40 years of football was unprepared for? Maybe you are joking? I don't know what was dumber , trying to kick a 45 yd field goal in 17-20mph swirling winds where your special teams had numerous issues or doing it down by 28 points with 7 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. The fat inconsistent punter that he seems to make all kinds of excuses for kicked a 26 yd punt and hes trying to kick 45 yd field goals.

Funny thing is Harvin is so inconsistently horrible that maybe Tomlin couldn't tell the wind was an issue 33 yds, 26 yds, 34 yds. 

Confused Katy Perry GIF by Top Talent

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

what talent are you talking about. Ben, Brown, Bell, Pouncey, DeCastro? And what?

I'm sorry? That's an extremely talented group you just mentioned. All top of their positions, some historically. I honestly don't know how you say "and what?". 

I am going to stay out of the weeds here on the other coaches talk. There are ALWAYS good players on NFL rosters. It's an extremely talented league. Minimizing coaching because Andy Reid had Jamaal Charles isn't worth the conversation -- because that's not what it's about for me. The players come and go, the success remains the same. It just gets better with more talented players. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Tomlin has been holding this team together for years from a coaching perspective. It hasn’t been talented and had no business being in the playoffs certain years. 

I am just not so sure I believe that, at least anymore. I did at one point. We have 3 absolutely elite defensive players, but if one of them is gone, we become absolute garbage. We are 0-8 without TJ Watt. Maybe the rest of the talent really is just that bad.

But when I watch Kevin Stefanski smile after calling in a play because he knows the personnel that the Steelers put on the field was an immediate TD, that makes me question things. When Matt Patricia and Joe Judge know the weakness in our continued use of the over front in short yardage, that's a problem. When our plan to stop Josh Allen is to take our best cover guy and play him as a spy for the majority of the first half and leave our back up S and our Nickel playing S as the deep men, I mean the results write themselves, right? The one that killed me was Diggs in the red area with Sutton playing man w/ outside shading 9 yards off and bailing. Minkahs in the MOF, but this is Josh Allen. He probably laughed when he lined up.

We are not talented enough to have major mental cracks that don't get fixed, and that really concerns me even if the talent does get better again. Our biggest anwer is just talent. Stefanski out coaches Tomlin every time we play. Our only answer is TJ Watt getting 5.5 sacks in two games or a Minkah pick 6. So maybe we draft an absolute unit of a shutdown #1 corner. If we don't carry him over in the slot with motion out of base, what does it matter? Good coaches will just pick on the things you don't adjust or evolve on. 

I am perfectly fine seeing players that are not as talented get whooped and moving on. What sucks is when you already lost the battle before the play happens. And that happens far too much for Tomlin to not be questioned. 

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

We have 3 absolutely elite defensive players, but if one of them is gone, we become absolute garbage.

I’m going to ask this:

3 elite, are any of the other 8 good? The next best is Highsmith and he’s average at best. Ditto for Jack. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am perfectly fine seeing players that are not as talented get whooped and moving on.

Welcome to the 2022 Steelers. Not that talented. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

3 elite, are any of the other 8 good? The next best is Highsmith and he’s average at best. Ditto for Jack.

Larry O, Highsmith, Jack, Sutton, and Wallace are all good enough to start on multiple teams. Edmunds and Witherspoon are not trash either. We lack depth, but how many high end players would it take to be competent enough to judge coaching? 

Do we need 1 more elite guy to understand how to cover WR1s in the slot? 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Welcome to the 2022 Steelers. Not that talented

On the field and in the headset. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So the FO plays a role here by keeping talented players?

Who says they don’t? But Bill is his own FO (a flawed one at that) and Reid has coached multiple teams with multiple GMs. So my point remains. They are the consistent part of their defensive and offensive successes respectively. 

FO, coaching, players…they all play a role. But I’m not sure I would say that coaching has specifically carried this team. I think Ben and Brown, TJ, Minkah, and Cam have more to do with our wins and losses.

I think Tomlin does a good job of keeping guys together, is a great face for the organization, and is going to be a super recruiter with money. But IMO, his worst day of the week is Sunday. 

• Like 1