2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

- Move Pickens to WR1, get Austin on the field at the expense of DJ and Claypool. Feature Pat and Pickens in the passing game

- Minimum 50% carries for Warren, get him involved in the first quarter

- Give McFarland a hat over Snell or Najee

- Make Spillane inactive, give Mark Robinson some situational snaps

- Full time Leal, Malik Reed shouldn’t be on the field. 

- Get Loudermilk some snaps over Wormley

- Fire Canada, promote Sullivan

All are things I hope Tomlin is at least considering moving forward.

I think the Spillane, Warren, Loudermilk are the least likely to happen. I really wish we could give Spillane Bushes abilities physically. 

The excuses that get made for this defense are getting tiresome. I'm tired of hearing that they're tired and worn down. They can't stop the pass and they can't stop the run. They have had almost zero pressure on the QB since Watt went out. 

No defense can be about one guy. Even with a healthy Watt, this would not be a very good defense. This would not be a defense that could stand up to the better offenses in the league, let alone the best. And we've see that time and time again, anyway. They were horribly overmatched against the top tier QB's they've faced over the last few seasons, with a few exceptions which, if looked at in detail, you can start to see there was a high degree of luck involved.

They got Burrow with almost no practice time and while he was maybe still recovering from his surgery in week 1. And last year, they were able to catch Josh Allen off guard by throwing a lot of new looks at him in week 1. Otherwise? They've been torn up through the air by the few competent QB's they've faced.

The run defense is just as bad as last years. 

The fact that they are still playing Bush is a disgrace. And Heyward retweeting a comment on how he's running down field to make tackles others won't probably indicates just how guys in the locker room feel about that one. Forget the fact that he just isn't good anymore - the guy has, as we've all seen, stopped trying almost completely. Being a bad football player I can forgive. Being paid six figures and not even trying at your job? Yea, no...get out of here. 

Of all the dumb **** Tomlin has done over the years, keeping Bush in the line-up is the least excusable to me. Been harping on that one since last year. It's a slap in the face to everyone else on the roster.

On the bright side, Pickett has the mentality of a franchise QB. I love the toughness and balls he's shown. Taking that big hit last week and getting up laughing about it was a joy to see compared to a guy like Trubisky or even Rudolph who seemed traumatized by the the Earl Thomas hit.

I don't like the lame duck pass he chucked up for Claypool last week. I really need to see him air the ball deep and connect a few times before I start believing in his arm. The personality is there. I think the decision making will only get better. He's very decisive, mostly for the better but a couple of times for the worse. 

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

@CKSteeler who would you put in over Bush? For the love of god do not say Spillane. I think we all agree Bush sucks, but there’s really no better option. When you trade 3 picks for a guy who turns out to be a bust, this is what you’re left with. 

A tough this is, there’s not a whole lot of answers on this roster right now. 

- Try Mark Robinson? Sure we should. But kinda like Buddy Johnson last year, there’s likely a reason there. 

- Play Warren more at RB? I’m on board with RBBC and have been for years. Pull up McFarland? Sure. But does that completely change the complexion of the run game? I don’t feel it does. While blocks are being made at the POA, I’m not seeing a lot of climbing to the second level. 

- There’s no fixing the pass rush, and the best pass rushes in the league hinge on a Watt level talent. Otherwise you have to blitz heavily. 

- Speaking of blitzing heavily, our CB’s can’t stand up to playing on as island. Especially with Edmunds, Kazee, Witherspoon out. If Maulet is playing 50+% of snaps and Josh Johnson are the answers you can’t expect much good. 

- The WR conundrum. You just paid DJ boarderline WR1 money and he’s dropping easy passes. Claypool is what he is, which is fine when you have a good WR1. Pickens is quickly becoming that. Can Austin help? Sure. But I would expect him to suddenly make things good there. 

- Fire Canada and install Sullivan as play caller? Yea maybe he varies it up more, but people complaining about the offense is how simplistic it is, it’s not suddenly going to become a new offense. Maybe it’s just a better pulse on playcalling but it’s not going to magically make us a 25 PPG team. 

I’ve said this the last few years but what’s done is done in season. This is what we are. The true changes have got to happen in the offseason. We’re there in cleaning up the cap, but we can’t make it worse. We got to start to add to our draft pick stock, not take away from it. This past offseason and this upcoming one need(Ed) to be home runs. It’s a double so far. 

• Like 2

Loudermilk is the only other player doing decent 2 gap other than Cam.  Wormley is awful vs the run.  Zero sand in his pants.  Always moving backwards.

- Speaking of blitzing heavily, our CB’s can’t stand up to playing on as island. Especially with Edmunds, Kazee, Witherspoon out. If Maulet is playing 50+% of snaps and Josh Johnson are the answers you can’t expect much good.

This is the Steelers choosing to invest in pass rushers vs CB talent.  Most other teams get at least one top CB.  The Steelers hope that pass rush gives their CBs help

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

I want to do a deeper dive on this information, but on it's surface since 2010 here's how many top 100 picks the AFCN has averaged per team, total top 100 picks, and since 2018 how many are still active players:

Pittsburgh Steelers: 2.9 per year, 38 total, 32 still active in the NFL

Baltimore Ravens: 3.5 per year, 46 total, 45 still active in the NFL

Cincinnati Bengals: 3.5 per year, 45 total, 34 still active in the NFL

Cleveland Browns: 4 per year, 52 total, 34 still active in the NFL

So - Least number of top 100 picks per year in the division, least total number of top 100 picks in the division, least number of active players out of the last 5 drafts, least amount of talent in the division.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I want to do a deeper dive on this information, but on it's surface since 2010 here's how many top 100 picks the AFCN has averaged per team, total top 100 picks, and since 2018 how many are still active players:

Pittsburgh Steelers: 2.9 per year, 38 total, 32 still active in the NFL

Baltimore Ravens: 3.5 per year, 46 total, 45 still active in the NFL

Cincinnati Bengals: 3.5 per year, 45 total, 34 still active in the NFL

Cleveland Browns: 4 per year, 52 total, 34 still active in the NFL

So - Least number of top 100 picks per year in the division, least total number of top 100 picks in the division, least number of active players out of the last 5 drafts, least amount of talent in the division.

makes sense

feels like every yr we have just 6-7 picks+ picking in the mid to late in each RD. We never have a draft where we have like 5 picks to the 1st 3 rds. the steelers have not had a draft with two 1st RD picks since the 80's. Bengals, Browns, Ravens have done that multiple times in the last 10-15 yrs. not always a success looking at cle, but still. It would be nice if we were throwing more darts at the board during the 1st two nights of the draft.

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

makes sense

feels like every yr we have just 6-7 picks+ picking in the mid to late in each RD. We never have a draft where we have like 5 picks to the 1st 3 rds. the steelers have not had a draft with two 1st RD picks since the 80's. Bengals, Browns, Ravens have done that multiple times in the last 10-15 yrs. not always a success looking at cle, but still. It would be nice if we were throwing more darts at the board during the 1st two nights of the draft.

Yea, I was looking at total picks and total number of guys over that time too but it wasn't really adding up.  I'm going deeper on the rest of the AFC and it is adding up.  The better teams tend to have 3.5+ top 100 picks, and typically have 35+ of the last 5 draft guys active.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

- Play Warren more at RB? I’m on board with RBBC and have been for years. Pull up McFarland? Sure. But does that completely change the complexion of the run game? I don’t feel it does. While blocks are being made at the POA, I’m not seeing a lot of climbing to the second level. 

I agree the OL could do better in the run game, but Warren is averaging 4.9 ypc on the season and Najee is averaging 3.2 behind the same o-line.

I get that some of this has to do with Warren getting lighter boxes by playing on 3rd downs and in garbage time, but Warren has looked significantly better by the eye test as well. Warren has also been better in pass pro, which is surprising.

idk if it’s because Najee is injured or if he just sucks, but Warren is clearly the better player right now. A semi-consistent run game would do wonders for this offense, regardless of who’s calling the plays. You give this offense a run game and DJ stops dropping balls and you’re talking about an offense that could be league average at worst. 

I'm so down on harris. while watching other games and seeing other teams backs. I keep asking myself if Harris can have runs like that and I'm always thinking no. He's so sluggish. He's like a good version of snell. I want something more out of a 1st RD back. Dude is already 24 and has a ton or carries on his body. I'm not optimistic that this guy has a future here after his rookie deal, due to the lifespan of his position.

• Like 1