2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

Just now, warfelg said:

Can’t convince me that Harris was a pick for the future. I think he was picked for the sole intent of Bens “one last ride”. Same with Muth but he’s better. 

would of been a good time to trade back and get more picks in the top 100, oh well

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Can’t convince me that Harris was a pick for the future. I think he was picked for the sole intent of Bens “one last ride”. Same with Muth but he’s better. 

I think so too. I'm not as low on Harris as others, but this take is hard to argue with. I've actually been impressed with Najee's ability to grind out positive yards. He'd be a great back if we had an offense built around ball control. I also like his open field ability. He's been an unfair scapegoat, I think. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He'd be a great back if we had an offense built around ball control.

I don't think he was a long term solution, nor would I argue against him being a pick to stock up Ben's last run.....but the easiest way to transition QBs is having a steady running game to build off. I do think Najee was selected to be the transition -- give him 25-30 touches a game and play defense. 

They just swung and missed so hard on building an OLine to make that work, and now Najee is hurt. I would still like to know what it looked like if Banner rebound, Decastro didn't retire himself and Chuks stayed on the left, but we will never know. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think so too. I'm not as low on Harris as others, but this take is hard to argue with. I've actually been impressed with Najee's ability to grind out positive yards. He'd be a great back if we had an offense built around ball control. I also like his open field ability. He's been an unfair scapegoat, I think. 

Agreed. He’s out there grinding yards while hurt. But he should go on IR for a spell, get healthy then. He’s not helping. 

But…he’s just not what this team needs right now. Warren is a similar back, and I know he’s the “hot name”, but he doesn’t have the big bust speed either. His difference is the push to fall forward. 

I saw someone make the YPC argument, but really the difference right now is literally fall forward vs stop in place. That’s the injury difference to me. Even in the open field last year Najee and this year Warren look similar. Running through traffic rather than away from traffic. 

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Najee was picked for Ben’s last ride AND trying to ease the transition for the QB of the future…it’s not an either/or type thing.

Good point. I feel like he was always a “rookie contract only” shelf life player. That’s tough to get out of your 1st. It’s hard when you see so many impact players at long term positions taken right around that pick. I think not moving up for Darrisaw was the one that hurts me the most. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Good point. I feel like he was always a “rookie contract only” shelf life player. That’s tough to get out of your 1st. It’s hard when you see so many impact players at long term positions taken right around that pick. I think not moving up for Darrisaw was the one that hurts me the most. 

Yea it’s not the best value by any means but I understood their thought process and the fact they key whiffing on mid round RB picks over the course of several years.

Far as I know, Darrisaw struggled last year but is supposedly having a good year as of now(if I’m wrong correct me)…during the draft I was fine with trading up to get him and I think he went the pick before.

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Yea it’s not the best value by any means but I understood their thought process and the fact they key whiffing on mid round RB picks over the course of several years.

Far as I know, Darrisaw struggled last year but is supposedly having a good year as of now(if I’m wrong correct me)…during the draft I was fine with trading up to get him and I think he went the pick before.

He went the pick before us and has been really good this year. 

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I agree the OL could do better in the run game, but Warren is averaging 4.9 ypc on the season and Najee is averaging 3.2 behind the same o-line.

I get that some of this has to do with Warren getting lighter boxes by playing on 3rd downs and in garbage time, but Warren has looked significantly better by the eye test as well. Warren has also been better in pass pro, which is surprising.

idk if it’s because Najee is injured or if he just sucks, but Warren is clearly the better player right now. A semi-consistent run game would do wonders for this offense, regardless of who’s calling the plays. You give this offense a run game and DJ stops dropping balls and you’re talking about an offense that could be league average at worst. 

As I have said several times.  Warren is better for the wide zone concept that they want to run.  He is a one cut back.  Najee would work well with a power blocking oline.  You put prime Derick Henry behind this blocking scheme/line he will look about the same.