Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

it's a valuable tool

it wasn't used as a case for Barry to keep his job. That has always been an invented 'point' you and others feigned outrage over.

it's so weird lol

Neither of us have time to go back and dig it up, but you absolutely said the trend couldn't be ignored and if it continued Joe Barry was making a case to keep his job. I've never argued that you ever flat out said we needed to keep Barry, but you absolutely aluded to the fact that we were rising in DVOA and that couldn't be ignored or disproven, when in fact @beekay414and I were right that our ranking was artificially improving while our defense was simply luckier and benefiting from injury or a QB just not having his stuff (just like the Giants D benefitted from Love being off Monday). Schatz tweet just is the evidence to prove it.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Neither of us have time to go back and dig it up, but you absolutely said the trend couldn't be ignored and if it continued Joe Barry was making a case to keep his job. I've never argued that you ever flat out said we needed to keep Barry, but you absolutely aluded to the fact that we were rising in DVOA and that couldn't be ignored or disproven, when in fact @beekay414and I were right that our ranking was artificially improving while our defense was simply luckier and benefiting from injury or a QB just not having his stuff (just like the Giants D benefitted from Love being off Monday). Schatz tweet just is the evidence to prove it.

Context matters until it doesn't

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Of course it was. 

We're not talking about outrage with Barry. We're talking about the fake outrage with DVOA.

The outrage isn't over DVOA, we all use it and will continue to. It's with the people who use it to discredit people who know the game because their eyes don't match up to the "flawless" DVOA.

It's the same as RAS, super useful tool, still have to watch the tape.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The outrage isn't over DVOA, we all use it and will continue to. It's with the people who use it to discredit people who know the game because their eyes don't match up to the "flawless" DVOA.

It's the same as RAS, super useful tool, still have to watch the tape.

The outrage has always been misplaced. You're changing the story now that DVOA is aligned with your personal beliefs.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Of course it was. 

We're not talking about outrage with Barry. We're talking about the fake outrage with DVOA.

It’s just one method. You say it accounts for everything, which I’m not arguing , but it weighs/quantifies the information to come up with a ranking. 

Like some people may say PPG is the best metric to compare defenses so they’d weigh that statistic more , others may be points per drive. DVOA must value some stats more than others to come up with their rankings. I’m not saying it’s bad or good, but it’s not a definite. It’s just one means of measuring. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s just one method. You say it accounts for everything, which I’m not arguing , but it weighs/quantifies the information to come up with a ranking. 

Like some people may say PPG is the best metric to compare defenses so they’d weigh that statistic more , others may be points per drive. DVOA must value some stats more than others to come up with their rankings. I’m not saying it’s bad or good, but it’s not a definite. It’s just one means of measuring. 

Sure. But my view is it's, by far, the best single comparison metric.

The problem that's very obvious now is some people are ok touting it when it fits their emotional viewpoint but reject it when it doesn't. That's intellectually dishonest.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Sure. But my view is it's, by far, the best single comparison metric.

The problem that's very obvious now is some people are ok touting it when it fits their emotional viewpoint but reject it when it doesn't. That's intellectually dishonest.

And that’s fine by me. I just have trouble with you saying everyone who disagreed with you is wrong because DVOA says so. 

I will say it again, using one means of measurement to make significant opinions/ actions on something is not the best way to go