Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

Imagine, just try to imagine, a defense that confuses the opposing offense, so they don't know what is coming. Imagine half time adjustments that actually blunt what the offense is trying to do, or even (perish the thought) in-game tweaks to the game plan..

How long since we have had that ?  The talent is sufficient, the coaching, the scheme, is not.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Imagine, just try to imagine, a defense that confuses the opposing offense, so they don't know what is coming. Imagine half time adjustments that actually blunt what the offense is trying to do, or even (perish the thought) in-game tweaks to the game plan..

How long since we have had that ?  The talent is sufficient, the coaching, the scheme, is not.

our defense can't even communicate doing straight forward things. i can't even imagine how confused our guys would be trying to confuse the other guys

• Like 2

“I would be totally lying to you if (I said) it wasn’t the Mike Evans factor,” Barry said of the Buccaneers’ star wideout when asked why he played so much zone. “When you go against a guy like that, there’s so much attention that he draws, both with what you have to deploy to him but then also the coverage principles that you have to play. I really think, other than the 19-yard touchdown that he had, I think he had four catches for whatever he had, 50 yards. When you go into a game plan like that and you have to deploy that attention to an elite guy like that, you’ve got to make up for the other things.

“To their credit, they did a great job. Baker did a good job. … The first two things that we talked about going into that game were: We can’t let No. 13 completely destroy the game and, within that, we’ve got to play the run. I thought, until the third-to-last play of the game, I thought we did those two things pretty well.

“Unfortunately, we did nothing else well.”

I think Barry trying to explain what went wrong vs TAM makes me want to fire him even more.  Is he really talking up how successful GB was in controlling Evans?  Other than the 19 yard TD of course.  He needs to stop talking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Sorry my Brit friend, this is a world of what have you done for me lately.  The past 2 years has been nothing but an big time failure on Barry's part.  He had a big time 2nd chance this year to upgrade his thinking/scheme when MLF retained him.  Nothing, absolutely nothing has changed since last year's defense.  They still suck on rushing defense, he plays the Fangio pass  soft zone keep the play in front of you defense where there isn't a team in the top 10 defenses playing it any more.  The past number of years defense have indeed been average at its very best.  The draft picks have been there year after year to improve the defense and it just hasn't happened.  Barry has had his chances and failed .. time to move on to another D coach with an aggressive, kick *** attitude.  It's time .. it's just time.

I agree moving on from Barry. I'm with you.

Not sure which coach out there would come in and change things up drastically

Going back to, it's not in our DNA to be great at defence, that stems back a while.

Bring in a future HOF type to be the leader and tone setter on the field and we have a chance. That for me is the most important thing. But obviously not easy to do

Just now, Brit Pack said:

Going back to, it's not in our DNA to be great at defence, that stems back a while.

Bring in a future HOF type to be the leader and tone setter on the field and we have a chance. That for me is the most important thing. But obviously not easy to do

I'm sorry, but that bolded piece is nonsense.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I'd suggest Michigan DC Jesse Minter, who has worked under Jim Harbaugh (who brought his knowledge of the NFL game to Michigan) and he (Minter) is building a very impressive resume and is only 40 years old.

There is also Phil Parker, the Iowa DC. He won the 2023 Broyles award for the AFCA assistant coach of the year. However, he is 60, has been with Iowa forever and seems unlikely to want a jump to the NFL, this late in his career.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm sorry, but that bolded piece is nonsense.

Since 1994 we have averaged being 14th in yards allowed and 14th in points.

Since 2007 when MM took over HC we are 15th in yards allowed and 15th in points.

In a 29 period from 1994 we have a top 5 defence in terms of points 6 times, 4 of those times were between 1994 and 2001.

And in terms of yards in the last 29 years we have been top 5 four times.

Comparatively we have been a top 5 offence 14 times out of those 29 years in terms of points. 

If that doesn't say we are historically an average defensive team I'm not sure what does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Since 2007 when MM took over HC we are 15th in yards allowed and 15th in points.

In a 29 period from 1994 we have a top 5 defence in terms of points 6 times, 4 of those times were between 1994 and 2001.

Comparatively we have been a top 5 offence 14 times out of those 29 years in terms of points. 

If that doesn't say we are historically an average defensive team I'm not sure what does.

The Packers identity on offense the past few decades is definitely offense .. stud Qb's and offensive minded HC's.  We always draft defense, but never seem to wind up with a unit that dominates anything.  Every handful of years we wind up with a really strong defense, but more often than not we wind up mediocre to bad.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Cook em

On 12/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, Brit Pack said:

Right, so since 1994, after the greatest pass rusher to ever live decided to take the most money ever given, we've been an average football team on the defensive side of the ball. That's great. Wonderful. Now look at what we've invested.

We've had 33 first round picks since 1993 (the year before your arbitrary year).

Of those 33 first round picks, 24 of them have been defensive players.

Look at it the other way and ask yourself how many times the Packers haven't been an average offense in spite of only 9 first round picks since 1993 being offensive players.

What does that suggest to you?

Does that suggest maybe we've underperformed? If we're an elite team as far as defensive investment and an average team as far as defensive production, what's that say?

Let me pick an arbitrary year. 2012. 11/12 first round picks have been defensive players. Add Kevin King as a first pick and 12/13 years we've picked a defensive player.

We spent heavily on defense in free agency as well. Preston, Z. Smith, Adrian Amos, Devondre Campbell.

I can't remember a single free agent notable addition on offense, yet we've consistently produced above average to elite offenses with minimal investment from draft capital to contracts (excluding Rodgers).

Then you get into spending.

This year, 4 teams are spending more on defense than the Packers. The Steelers (12th), Bills (4th), Jaguars (21st).

Two years ago, Packers were 9th in spending.
Three years ago, Packers were 7th.

So since Barry took over, the Packers have been top ten in defensive spending 4 years.

Not only have the Packers spent more on defense, they've drafted more on defense.

Great business practice. Spend and invest more than anyone else in order to stay average compared to everyone else.

Almost like the mediocrity points back to the coach.