Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

43 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

We held Chiefs to under 20 points, yes that's an accomplishment.

But

Chiefs punted 1 time last night. They were gashing us in the run game with long sustaining drives and Barry did nothing to adjust. 

We had a chance to put the game away early with the Chiefs having a 3rd and 18 on their drive to open the half and we rushed 3 allowing the Chiefs to convert. Calls like that are maddening

With a good DC, this defense would be top 5

But isn't this what all DCs do when facing Mahomes? Just force him to drive down the field with Pacheco rather than giving up a quick score at an inopportune time?

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Context matters

The Chiefs moved the ball at will last night. Just like the Chargers moved the ball at will a few weeks prior. I don't care about the amount of points given up, I care about how the defense looked throughout the night and they, as they have most of the year, looked inept except for a select handful of plays and that's been the case Barry's entire tenure. 

There is no legitimate reason he should be retained post-2023 season.

Should we hire Spags when the Chiefs fire him then? Our defense outperformed them by every metric, except 3rd down efficiency. 

Kansas City Chiefs at Green Bay Packers 2023 REG 13 - Game Center (nfl.com)

57 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

It was also the right match up to use the bend don’t break.  I could see more blitzing if Jaire and Stokes were playing though.  

Yeah I don't know how you could be discouraged by the defense when we were facing Mahomes without Jaire, Stokes, and Rasul for that matter.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Right, we’re talking about our guy though and I have trouble giving him credit where if our offense wasn’t great last night, our defense would’ve been destroyed . Giving up points on 75% of the opponents drives is nothing to be proud of . 

It was 50% of their drives and conversely, we scored on 66% of our drives. You're talking about playing against the guy who likely goes down as the GOAT at quarterback and we held him to under 20 points. 

I started this thread and do not apologize for that. Given who we were up against and what we had in the secondary, I can't be too harsh on Joe Barry. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah I don't know how you could be discouraged by the defense when we were facing Mahomes without Jaire, Stokes, and Rasul for that matter.

Not on our team anymore, doesn't count. Plus, he wasn't that good this year to begin with. Your point is valid without him though. 

Watch the games and tell me you have any type of confidence in the defense, ever. We all know nobody does. That tells you all you need to know.

Barry coaches out his contract and we find a better replacement for when we're ready to make that Super Bowl leap. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Now do the rest of the season

I started this thread because he had been so bad. He's been better than average for a few weeks now. If he continues down this path of keeping enough guys in the box to give opponents second thought about just lining up and running it down our throats, we'll be fine on defense. 

He was his same **** self for much of the season, but he's turned it around. I'm objective enough to differentiate between the two. I want the one we've had the past few weeks to keep showing up. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It was 50% of their drives and conversely, we scored on 66% of our drives. You're talking about playing against the guy who likely goes down as the GOAT at quarterback and we held him to under 20 points. 

I started this thread and do not apologize for that. Given who we were up against and what we had in the secondary, I can't be too harsh on Joe Barry. 

Oh come on. You can’t count when they kneeled the ball before half. 

I’m even taking the last one with a grain of salt. 

Process matters. If our defense played like they did last night, we’re going to give up a lot of points . 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I started this thread because he had been so bad. He's been better than average for a few weeks now. If he continues down this path of keeping enough guys in the box to give opponents second thought about just lining up and running it down our throats, we'll be fine on defense. 

He was his same **** self for much of the season, but he's turned it around. I'm objective enough to differentiate between the two. I want the one we've had the past few weeks to keep showing up. 

My hero!!!!

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not on our team anymore, doesn't count. Plus, he wasn't that good this year to begin with. Your point is valid without him though. 

Yeah, i see your point. I'm just saying that since Rasul was traded for a pick, it's sorta like he was lost for the year due to injury. And for the record, PFF had Rasul as their highest rated defender before he was traded.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

It's OK to change your mind when facts dictate it. It doesn't make you weak. Just sayin'! 

Which facts? That the Chiefs punted once? That he still can't get his team off the field on 3rd and a mile? That our HC had to call literal timeouts because he couldn't get his personnel right? Those facts? 

Joe Barry isn't a good DC, period. We bring him back, it's a massive mistake.