State of the Steelers

warfelg

11 hours ago, 43M said:

I have a feeling they are going to prioritize other players over him.   Doesnt mean we cant or wont bring him back, but I feel like guys like Cam Sutton and MAYBE even Terrell Edmunds over him.    Again, I feel like we can keep him, but if he feels he can get a better deal elsewhere, he will be gone.   He will be 29 this year, and this might be his last chance at a pretty big payday.

I would expect Ogunjobi to get interest from other teams, lots of teams have capspace and would benefit from his signing. Why would he wait around here for less $, really makes no cents for him.

I am hoping/expecting Sutton to be top priority. If they sign Edmunds first (and overpay like colbert would) and then Sutton goes elsewhere, thats not good. 

Still , even if they sign Sutton, I want a CB with either 17 or 32. This draft is loaded with good CB's and the steelers better get at least one, and I am not talking about the colbert later round special either. Or artie type wasted pick or reach like Edmunds was either. Get one of the top CB's that are legit day1 starters . If Sutton can play the slot, all the better for the new CB1 from the draft, or CB1.b if thats what we will call it 

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Question: Who is more important for OUR defense in CB Cam Sutton or DL Larry Ogunjobi?

Sutton by a fair amount IMO. If they have to pick one over the other, Sutton will be the player they keep. 

With all the good CB's in the draft, I am still hoping they get a CB with either 17 or 32 or if they trade down a bit, but 49 is a bit low as all the top tier CB's will be gone

For run defence, players like Suh, Joseph  and even old  Brandon Williams will be available for a decent price. That might be the stop gap as well as RD3 pick DT (M.Smith for example) .  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Question: Who is more important for OUR defense in CB Cam Sutton or DL Larry Ogunjobi?

Cam Sutton isn't special, but he is still a very solid corner and I feel like he would be much harder to replace in an already depleted secondary.   Sutton is also on the field much more and is younger.   Id prefer to keep Larry, but I think its clear Sutton needs to be the priority.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Are we talking about to retain? 

….it feels strange to say it Ogunjobi. The secondary is built on the pass rush forcing the opposing QB to rush and make bad decisions. So ensuring the DL/Edge can take on that challenge is more important to me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I’ll go with Sutton due to his position versatility, him being drafted by us, having 6 years experience in our defense, and being more of an “ascending” player. Our defense requires a lot of communication throughout the secondary and I feel Sutton meshes well with the other DBs.

I like Larry O a lot but I feel he’s more maxed out as a player than Cam. I feel more confident in our ability to replace Larry O than I do Sutton.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 3

DL is priority number 1 for me. That said, I would pick Cam over Larry. 

I don't want to live in a world where we need to commit 6 guys on the line to stop the run. We need to reinvest in the front and get a couple dudes. Larry is fine, but I'd rather upgrade and Suttons versatility makes him more valuable for our secondary. 

• Like 1

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I honestly was a little underwhelmed with Larry O. He was a good player, but he was kind of just there a lot. He'd make a fine rotational DT, but I'd rather have someone better starting. 

I don’t disagree but what really jumped out to me was how exposed our corners were without the threat of Watt. And yea, Ogunjobi isn’t Watt; but our corners aren’t guys to break the bank over. 

I feather have Larry O at $10mil AAV for 3 years than Sutton at $15mil AAV over 5. (That’s what I think it will take for both). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don’t disagree but what really jumped out to me was how exposed our corners were without the threat of Watt. And yea, Ogunjobi isn’t Watt; but our corners aren’t guys to break the bank over. 

I feather have Larry O at $10mil AAV for 3 years than Sutton at $15mil AAV over 5. (That’s what I think it will take for both). 

The other side of that is that $15 is probably what CBs are going to be getting from here on. We have to have a stable of good CBs, so I don't want to let one get out. Especially since we developed him. If we let Sutton go, we have to bring in 2 CBs. Which, with our development record with CBs, is far from a guarantee success. 

For a team that failed to develop DB talent numerous times, it wouldn’t be the best decision to let go of one of the few that DID work out, leave in FA.

You have nothing behind Sutton besides Wallace and he’s in his final year of deal…Pierre seems to be depth at best and is also a FA along with the dead weight of WJIII and Witherspoon.

You save roughly $16 mill in cutting those 2…you can resign Sutton with a decent year 1 cap hit and still have enough to sign a rotation DL for depth.

• Like 1

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

The other side of that is that $15 is probably what CBs are going to be getting from here on. We have to have a stable of good CBs, so I don't want to let one get out. Especially since we developed him. If we let Sutton go, we have to bring in 2 CBs. Which, with our development record with CBs, is far from a guarantee success. 

Exactly…$13-$15 mill AAV is the norm for the next few years for CBs.