State of the Steelers

warfelg

40 minutes ago, August4th said:

With this weak draft class and with how many needs we have?

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

• Like 2

2 hours ago, August4th said:

IF we trade up, it is for Paris Johnson Jr imo.

Im 100% against trading up. Take Joey Porter jr at 17, take Jack Campbell (if he is there) at 32 and take an OT at 49.

If you're trading up to #9 its probably costing you #32 also. 

We arent one or two players away and there is a very limited amount of true top end talent in this draft.   The tier 2 rookies are not quite worth trading up for.   For instance, I really like Paris Johnson, but I don't feel like he is a franchise LT.    I truly believe he will at least be a pro bowl RT, but Im not trading up for that.   And while there are some nice CB talents, I feel like we can get good one without trading down.   Plus, I don't trust us taking a DB in rd 1, much less trading up for one, so one step at a time.

As is usually the case....Im prepared for draft day disappointment.  But of everything we could do, trading up from 17 using one of our 2nd rd picks would probably be the worst, unless it was for Jalen Carter.

Like I said in another thread, Im really starting to come around to JPJ with all of these thoughts you guys are putting in my head.

Jerk Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Draftniks are going crazy now trying to get clicks.  You can't give me a good reason for the Steelers to trade into the top 10.

If they are considering moving up it’s because they are enamored with PJJ or Gonzales and a new, more aggressive GM sees we basically have a free first round pick so they want to go get their guy. If they can get to 9 from 17 using 49 only (which would be a steal btw) they could move back from 32 and recoup some draft capital.

This is not my argument for doing it but my best guess to what’s going through Kahn and Tomlin’s head if they are actually considering it.

This is going to be a different take for around here:

There’s nothing wrong with moving up. If they feel what they are getting when they move up is a 10 year pro-bowl with all pro potential player — you go get him. 

That’s why I like what Khan has done this offseason. He has put this team in a position so that if they feel they are trying to move up for is that guy - they are fine. 

If it is Chicago, 9+148 = 17+49. 

And I like that value there. You can still go back from 32 and pick up extra picks. 

So if you can walk away giving up 17+49, move 32 for a pick in the upper 40’s, net the 5th and another 4th you can’t get a good haul. Like Jets give you 42, 114, 132 for 32 (value wise on the dot).

You could come out the first two rounds with Paris Johnson Jr, Julius Brents, and 3 extra day 3 picks.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

This is going to be a different take for around here:

There’s nothing wrong with moving up. If they feel what they are getting when they move up is a 10 year pro-bowl with all pro potential player — you go get him. 

That’s why I like what Khan has done this offseason. He has put this team in a position so that if they feel they are trying to move up for is that guy - they are fine. 

If it is Chicago, 9+148 = 17+49. 

And I like that value there. You can still go back from 32 and pick up extra picks. 

So if you can walk away giving up 17+49, move 32 for a pick in the upper 40’s, net the 5th and another 4th you can’t get a good haul. Like Jets give you 42, 114, 132 for 32 (value wise on the dot).

You could come out the first two rounds with Paris Johnson Jr, Julius Brents, and 3 extra day 3 picks.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly…

Im aware the Steelers have plenty of holes…however using a mid 2nd to trade up isn’t a terrible take if you think you’re getting your franchise LT(I’m using Johnson as an example)

14 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

If you're trading up to #9 its probably costing you #32 also. 

is it easy to find teams to trade up with ? Or if we are at 17 and want say 13, then 13 doesn't want to , 12 doesn't want to, then the next one that wants to trade is 9, we have to give up too much since they have some leverage .

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Draftniks are going crazy now trying to get clicks.  You can't give me a good reason for the Steelers to trade into the top 10.

with the hype of players rising, it might happen where B.Jones is there at 17 anyways.  I would rather trade down, but IF LT is a must to the FO, then there it is. IF they are set with Moore, then see if they trade down a bit or still move up - for a CB.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

if Jones or Johnson are this, thats the way I see it. Moore can be the Swing OT, versatile and still good enough. Nothing wrong with having depth especially for the OL.  If they can't get the OT in the draft they want, do they try to trade for one (Beckton) ?

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I noticed this too. Not sure if it's as annoying as ads were before I switched to brave but it's lame the way the mocks can go.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, jebrick said:

I think the guy is full of poo.  There is no such thing as a "slot WR" in the NFL any more.  You can scheme any of your WR to have a free release.

ILB is the #1 hole for the Steeler team right now.  Change my mind.

We also don't know what we have in Austin. Maybe the coaching staff know what they have in him. Thus they let Sims go? His non-physical measurables are off the charts elite. Assuming he can catch NFL balls, he's going to be to quick to cover. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, AFF said:

This sums up my thoughts perfectly…

Im aware the Steelers have plenty of holes…however using a mid 2nd to trade up isn’t a terrible take if you think you’re getting your franchise LT(I’m using Johnson as an example)

Well, thats where my hang up is....I dont see any talent worth trading up using 49 for.   I dont really see Johnson as a franchise LT.   Will the Steelers?   Perhaps, and if they trade up, Ill have to live with it and hope for the best.

But I certainly wont pretend Im okay with it on draft day.   The only comfort I would get out of trading up for Paris Johnson is that it WASN'T Christian Gonzales. ¬¬

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

where do you expect B. Jones to be approx?

I do not know.  I would not mind him at 17 and would be jumping for joy at 32.  I also would understand Nolan Smith at 17 or 32.

D.Jones is a really good OT.  We are at the period where everyone is finding fault with all the draft picks.  Watch him on tape vs Mich or Georgia.  He looks anything like lumbering.  He moves better than most big men and he can seek and destroy on the move.  It is rare to get someone of his size who can move and block.  I stand by saying he is a better OT than Paris Johnson or Brodrick Jones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I do not know.  I would not mind him at 17 and would be jumping for joy at 32.  I also would understand Nolan Smith at 17 or 32.

D.Jones is a really good OT.  We are at the period where everyone is finding fault with all the draft picks.  Watch him on tape vs Mich or Georgia.  He looks anything like lumbering.  He moves better than most big men and he can seek and destroy on the move.  It is rare to get someone of his size who can move and block.  I stand by saying he is a better OT than Paris Johnson or Brodrick Jones.

Anybody who think Jones is lumbering is way off. That dude is a missile for a LT. He moves like a FB in the open field looking for targets. He’s kind of raw, but mobility definitely isn’t his weakness.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody who think Jones is lumbering is way off. That dude is a missile for a LT. He moves like a FB in the open field looking for targets. He’s kind of raw, but mobility definitely isn’t his weakness.

I think he needs some technique work as do most of the Olinemen.  His go-to move is to grab the guy opposite of him and pull him in.  They need to break him of that and teach him to use those long arms to keep people off his body and he will be a monster

• Like 1