State of the Steelers

warfelg

47 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Witherspoon, Sutton, Dotson, Dobbs, Kendrick freaking Green (before injury), all having career years right now. Terrell Edmunds finally got his first career forced fumble. Salt in the wound as they say. I’m surprised Steven Sims hasn’t returned multiple punts for touchdowns and Devin Bush isn’t looking like a former top 10 pick again. Happy for those guys though, especially Dobbs.

On a side note with Witherspoon. He performed better two years ago. Last year he only played 4 games and had a hamstring in all 4. 

Edmunds is the only salt in the wound guy to me. Dotson/Green are kinda whatever because we traded them. Dobbs still isn’t starter material. He’s just on a team trying to tank. 

I don’t think Bush is on a team right now. Well might as well not be. He’s started 1 game, appeared in 3, has 3 tackles.  

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Witherspoon, Sutton, Dotson, Dobbs, Kendrick freaking Green (before injury), all having career years right now. Terrell Edmunds finally got his first career forced fumble. Salt in the wound as they say. I’m surprised Steven Sims hasn’t returned multiple punts for touchdowns and Devin Bush isn’t looking like a former top 10 pick again. Happy for those guys though, especially Dobbs.

I am being a little sarcastic just so I could use the Windhorst meme, but I just don't trust this coaching staff to get the most out of players. Three big things I want from coaches: culture, scheme, and development. I am only comfortable with one of those things, which is important but might be the lowest need. 

They were not great talents, but I remember thinking Artie Burns and Sean Davis played their best ball their rookie years, then they regressed the longer they were here. Mike Hilton was a nice player with us, but a liability in coverage. In Cincy he has been a very solid coverage slot corner. Levi Wallace has F.I.V.E. years of quality NFL play, but his second year with us he drops off a cliff? Mason Cole, regression. Green seemed to get worse while Dan Moore and Kevin Dotson seemed to never get any better. IMO, it feels like we either don't have the abilities to grow talents or we don't continually put players in the best situations for them to succeed. 

I think Tomlin has the culture on lock. He doesn't lose the team when things go wrong, dudes want to be here, he has their respect, etc...but man there are only a couple position groups on this team that I feel like we see consistent improvement on YOY (TE, Edge, RB). 

Good coaches maximize the talent they have. I do not feel like we do a good job of that here. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I am being a little sarcastic just so I could use the Windhorst meme, but I just don't trust this coaching staff to get the most out of players. Three big things I want from coaches: culture, scheme, and development. I am only comfortable with one of those things, which is important but might be the lowest need. 

They were not great talents, but I remember thinking Artie Burns and Sean Davis played their best ball their rookie years, then they regressed the longer they were here. Mike Hilton was a nice player with us, but a liability in coverage. In Cincy he has been a very solid coverage slot corner. Levi Wallace has F.I.V.E. years of quality NFL play, but his second year with us he drops off a cliff? Mason Cole, regression. Green seemed to get worse while Dan Moore and Kevin Dotson seemed to never get any better. IMO, it feels like we either don't have the abilities to grow talents or we don't continually put players in the best situations for them to succeed. 

I think Tomlin has the culture on lock. He doesn't lose the team when things go wrong, dudes want to be here, he has their respect, etc...but man there are only a couple position groups on this team that I feel like we see consistent improvement on YOY (TE, Edge, RB). 

Good coaches maximize the talent they have. I do not feel like we do a good job of that here. 

Go ahead and add Pickens, Muth, and even DJ to the list of players who are not developing/improving like they should be. 

I genuinely think Pickens and DJ could be a legit dangerous duo on a team with a competent offense and QB. 

Highsmith is the only name that jumps out to me as someone they have done a great job developing. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Go ahead and add Pickens, Muth, and even DJ to the list of players who are not developing/improving like they should be. 

I genuinely think Pickens and DJ could be a legit dangerous duo on a team with a competent offense and QB. 

Highsmith is the only name that jumps out to me as someone they have done a great job developing. 

I think the list of player who haven’t developed is harsh.  

Just on the CB front Hilton and Sutton developed a lot here and continued their natural progression. Hargrave did that, Dupree really developed. Chuks, though hitting his peak did improve. Edmunds developed even if you think he was picked too high. 

But there’s also the part of it’s on the player to develop. I said it the last three offseason but if I see DJ do another route running without a ball video in the sand I’m going to break my own leg. I mentioned it before but DJ reminds me of Ben Simmons. Continually works on what we know he’s good at, shows he can do the other things but then in game just doesn’t do them. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

I don’t think Bush is on a team right now. Well might as well not be. He’s started 1 game, appeared in 3, has 3 tackles.  

when has he been on a team. Useless

59 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Dupree really developed

after 4+ years, but useless before that

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

no doubt. it seems liek htis regime is holding players back either intentionally or through terrible coaching

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I mentioned it before but DJ reminds me of Ben Simmons. Continually works on what we know he’s good at, shows he can do the other things but then in game just doesn’t do them. 

thats an observation  that seems about right.  Gametime is more important, but maybe in this age social media vids are almost good enough?  See how he is after his health returns. I expect a decent season, unless canada is still here to have an effect that only he can.  DJ and Pickens should be 1000yard WR's IMO

7 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

LOL, Bears traded Claypool and a 7th to Miami for a 6th round pick. Maybe the best trade we’ve EVER pulled off 

Value of the pick for player was obviously off the charts, but it will only be a great trade for us if Porter becomes a decent long term starter for us.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Value of the pick for player was obviously off the charts, but it will only be a great trade for us if Porter becomes a decent long term starter for us.

sitting on the sidelines does nothing . 

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/ray-fittipaldo-speculates-concerns-regarding-tackling-playbook-comprehension-holding-joey-porter-jr-back/

while I don't care for Ray speculating, thre hapens to be a ray of hope for another link on that page in the bottom left corner: "Recommended for you"

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/phil-simms-sounds-like-somethings-going-to-happen-if-offense-struggles-against-ravens/

but unlike simms, WE know if anything changes it will reflect the coaches blaming players and execution.  so much for simms

Nelson:

2018 KC 73.9 - 1164 snaps 18.8% target rate

2019 Pit 80.5 - 1011 snaps 13.5% target rate

2020 Pit 67.1 - 907 snaps 21.2% target rate

2021 Phi 62.3 - 982 snaps 13.5% target rate

2022 Hou 66.7 - 958 snaps 13.2% target rate

2023 Hou 79.9- 242 snaps 8.8% target rate

Peterson 

2020 55 grade

2021 62 grade

2022 80 grade

Kendrick greens PFF grade on 2023 is 58.9 all with Texans on 208 snaps. 

Dotson has played…checks notes….82 snaps and allowed a sack. 

Spillaines 2021 and 2022 stats on PFF are different from NFL.com and PFR.com and ESPN and fox. 

Edited by warfelg

not much privacy left in the world.  Can't even go to a hospital without being on camera for the entire world to see after a breakdown.  Lets hope he is ok,  and this is the last of trouble like this for him. 

Is Taser use only when they absolutely have to use it, last measure before pulling the firearm?