State of the Steelers

warfelg

On 10/6/2023 at 8:09 AM, bigben07MVP said:

Witherspoon, Sutton, Dotson, Dobbs, Kendrick freaking Green (before injury), all having career years right now. Terrell Edmunds finally got his first career forced fumble. Salt in the wound as they say. I’m surprised Steven Sims hasn’t returned multiple punts for touchdowns and Devin Bush isn’t looking like a former top 10 pick again. Happy for those guys though, especially Dobbs.

And Spillane with 2 INTs on MNF 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

And Spillane with 2 INTs on MNF 😂

Spillane always had some talent and good for occasional splash plays, but he is so hot and cold.

And I just saw the highlights....two of the easiest interceptions ever.   One was thrown right into his chest and the other bounced right to him off a deflection.       

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Spillane always had some talent and good for occasional splash plays, but he is so hot and cold.

And I just saw the highlights....two of the easiest interceptions ever.   One was thrown right into his chest and the other bounced right to him off a deflection.       

The first one looked like a blown coverage too. Took two steps in and shuffled back four. That was more about Love making a terrible read than a great play. And that second one was the fluky of flukes. 

LOL I keep watching that first one. 5 defenders around the WR. If not Spillaines someone else would have gotten it! Masterson was right there too!

An aside on Witherspoon: 

Last year he injured his hamstring in camp, came back for 4 games still dealing with it, then went on the IR. Even in his good season here his was injured. 

It’s why SF and Seattle moved on from him (we tried to sign him when he was a FA but ended up trading for him). He’s just too injury prone to count on regularly. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 43M said:

maybe ravens will trade for him and have him be a 2 way player  since he can catch.

I was a Spillane fan, but he had trash next to him here  and found a new home. Happy for the throwback ILB. His hit on Henry was classic ILB Steelers from way back, unlike what we had in recent years

on a positive note,  Dionte says he will play week 7

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I wish they'd chant this nationwide.   

what this fanbase now has to tolerate look forward to. Not bad, better than the football played for 3/4 of the time . Comical, and considering how our fanbase travels, it could spread  a bit.  Thank AR2 and  tomlin

Saw someone post this in a comment on twitter and it didn't feel right, so I wanted to wait until I could actually look into.

Mike Tomlin has coached for 16 seasons (not counting this one). He has won a playoff game in only 4 of those seasons. Three of those seasons he won multiple playoff games, but man that felt low. 

Other top/longest tenured coaches:

- Harbaugh: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins 
- Reid: 24 seasons, 13 with playoff wins
- Shanahan: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins 
- McVay; 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins 
- McDermott: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins
- Carroll: 17 seasons, 8 with playoffs wins
- Pederson, 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins
- McCarthy: 16 seasons, 7 with playoff wins
- Payton: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins
- Rivera: 12 seasons, 2 with playoff wins
- Belichick, 28 seasons, 15 with playoff wins

Tomlin wins a playoff game 25% of the seasons he coaches. The closest to him is Ron Rivera at 17%. Most of the others are hovering around 50%. 

I don't know. Make of this what you will, but that kinda shocked me. 

12 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Saw someone post this in a comment on twitter and it didn't feel right, so I wanted to wait until I could actually look into.

Mike Tomlin has coached for 16 seasons (not counting this one). He has won a playoff game in only 4 of those seasons. Three of those seasons he won multiple playoff games, but man that felt low. 

Other top/longest tenured coaches:

- Harbaugh: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins 
- Reid: 24 seasons, 13 with playoff wins
- Shanahan: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins 
- McVay; 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins 
- McDermott: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins
- Carroll: 17 seasons, 8 with playoffs wins
- Pederson, 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins
- McCarthy: 16 seasons, 7 with playoff wins
- Payton: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins
- Rivera: 12 seasons, 2 with playoff wins
- Belichick, 28 seasons, 15 with playoff wins

Tomlin wins a playoff game 25% of the seasons he coaches. The closest to him is Ron Rivera at 17%. Most of the others are hovering around 50%. 

I don't know. Make of this what you will, but that kinda shocked me. 

So those are seasons with multiple playoff wins?  How much are they making the playoffs outside of that?

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So those are seasons with multiple playoff wins?  How much are they making the playoffs outside of that?

No, just finishing a season with A playoff win. 

- Tomlin, 16 seasons, 4 with playoff wins (10 making playoffs, 3 with multi-wins)

- Harbaugh: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins (10 making playoffs, 2 multi-win)
- Reid: 24 seasons, 13 with playoff wins (18 making playoffs, 7 multi-win)
- Shanahan: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins (3 making playoffs, 3 multi-win)
- McVay; 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins (4 making playoffs, 2 multi-win)
- McDermott: 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins (5 making playoffs, 1 multi-win)
- Carroll: 17 seasons, 8 with playoffs wins (12 making playoffs, 2 multi-win)
- Pederson, 6 seasons, 3 with playoff wins (4 making playoffs, 1 multi-win)
- McCarthy: 16 seasons, 7 with playoff wins (11 making playoffs, 2 multi-win)
- Payton: 15 seasons, 7 with playoff wins (9 making playoffs, 1 multi-win)
- Rivera: 12 seasons, 2 with playoff wins (5 making playoffs, 1 multi-win)
- Belichick, 28 seasons, 15 with playoff wins (19 making playoffs, 10 multi-win)

Apologies for the formatting below, but Tomlin is mid to low in all categories except for that when he wins a playoff game, he usually wins multiple. That percentage of seasons with at least one playoff win is rough. 

Seasons Playoffs? Won games multi-win % of playoffs % of seaons with win % of playoffs with win % of playoffs with multi wins
Tomlin 16 10 4 3 63% 25% 40% 75%
Harbaugh 15 10 7 2 67% 47% 70% 29%
Reid 24 18 13 7 75% 54% 72% 54%
Shanahan 6 3 3 3 50% 50% 100% 100%
McVay 6 4 3 2 67% 50% 75% 67%
McDermott 6 5 3 1 83% 50% 60% 33%
Carrol 17 12 8 2 71% 47% 67% 25%
Pederson 6 4 3 1 67% 50% 75% 33%
McCarthy 16 11 7 2 69% 44% 64% 29%
Payton 15 9 7 1 60% 47% 78% 14%
Rivera 12 5 2 1 42% 17% 40% 50%
Belichick 28 19 15 10 68% 54% 79% 67%