State of the Steelers

warfelg

41 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Fields is way better than what they have.  do they have a OC that can take advantage of Fields.

I’m entirely fine with giving roughly pick 45-50 for him depending on the OC hire.

18 hours ago, jebrick said:

Fields is way better than what they have.  do they have a OC that can take advantage of Fields.

I don't think that matters. 

Say we take the entire progression out of the game with Fields and make it a one or two pattern read and run approach - I don't think that's a game that lasts very long against DCs and injuries.

When I watch him I can only see Slash, and we know Slash can't win a game by himself.

with the steelers finally playing what appears to be legit offence, I can't really think about a new QB right now.  What a change that is. I am actually looking forward tot he games now for the first time in years. I might even watch the condensed game which I haven't done this year at all for steelers games

22 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

with the steelers finally playing what appears to be legit offence, I can't really think about a new QB right now.  What a change that is. I am actually looking forward tot he games now for the first time in years. I might even watch the condensed game which I haven't done this year at all for steelers games

theres less commercials ¬¬

On 1/1/2024 at 4:55 PM, jebrick said:

I disagree in that Tomlin is saying that Rudolph gives them the best chance to win so it is a direct judgement of KP's ability.

Mason is playing well right now and it would be Kenny's first game back in a month after an injury.

Sure, Mason very likely gives us the best chance to win this week....but that doesnt mean they think Mason is better IN GENERAL.   He is just the better option right now because of the circumstances.   

Personally, I don't care either way.   I dont think Pickett is good either or a significant improvement over Mason overall....but the reality is, if not for his injury, its pretty much guaranteed Pickett would still be starting.    They are sticking with Mason because he has been playing well....for 2 weeks....against bottom 5 defenses....with elite run game support...you get it.  

Bottom line....its the right decision to stick with Mason, but not because he is "better".    We saw Kenny play pretty well at the end of last year under similar circumstances.

In the end, we can both agree we still don't have a true starting caliber QB on the roster.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

Mason is playing well right now and it would be Kenny's first game back in a month after an injury.

Sure, Mason very likely gives us the best chance to win this week....but that doesnt mean they think Mason is better IN GENERAL.   He is just the better option right now because of the circumstances.   

Personally, I don't care either way.   I dont think Pickett is good either or a significant improvement over Mason overall....but the reality is, if not for his injury, its pretty much guaranteed Pickett would still be starting.    They are sticking with Mason because he has been playing well....for 2 weeks....against bottom 5 defenses....with elite run game support...you get it.  

Bottom line....its the right decision to stick with Mason, but not because he is "better".    We saw Kenny play pretty well at the end of last year under similar circumstances.

In the end, we can both agree we still don't have a true starting caliber QB on the roster.

I'm afraid the ship has sailed on Kenny Pickett. He's not a rookie quarterback. He's played 25 games with 13 TDs and 13 INTs. Looking at his 2023 season, his best season, he's got a 38 QBR. That's Tim Tebow territory without having the threat to run. 

It's the right decision to go with Mason, because he's the best QB on the roster. This is his first real opportunity to play with NFL level WRs with the switch from James Washington to George Pickens. A tandem of RBs to take the load off him. All of this with only one NFL offensive lineman on the roster.

One could say Mason is significantly better taking an efficiency statistic (or the QBR) and looking at each's performance against the Bengals bottom 5 defense. Kenny has thrown for 300 yards once. And it took 52 attempts to get there. That's a microcosm of Kenny Pickett as a passer. He's small. 

Mason Rudolph is a good bridge qb, because he's a threat downfield. Not necessarily on deep passes, but the intermediate routes that are defense killers and help out the run game, because you'd rather get chunked four or five and get a stop than to get chunked 12 and 14 yards at a time and run out of real estate. He's better than Kirk Cousins, Joe Flacco, and Russell Wilson.