State of the Steelers

warfelg

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So @43M will like this, a mock I didn’t trade back in, but I did trade up. Got to thinking with 2 4th we might use one to move up in RD2. 

1:20 Jackson Powers Johnson OC Oregon

2:45 Traded 51 & 120 for Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

3:84 Roman Wilson WR Michigan

4:119 Maason Smith DT LSU

6:196 Joe Milton QB Tennessee

7:237 Tory Taylor P Iowa

I like this one. Secondary will have to be addressed heavily in free agency in this scenario.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

So @43M will like this, a mock I didn’t trade back in, but I did trade up. Got to thinking with 2 4th we might use one to move up in RD2. 

1:20 Jackson Powers Johnson OC Oregon

2:45 Traded 51 & 120 for Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

3:84 Roman Wilson WR Michigan

4:119 Maason Smith DT LSU

6:196 Joe Milton QB Tennessee

7:237 Tory Taylor P Iowa

Ha...I have zero issue with trading down.  We just never do it.   Not early, anyway.

Not bad.  Love the first two picks.   Hate the last two picks.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Ha...I have zero issue with trading down.  We just never do it.   Not early, anyway.

Not bad.  Love the first two picks.   Hate the last two picks.

If they target a player ( say Powers-Johnson) that they know will be able to get in the mid 20's they may trade down.  Last time it was like that was with Casey Hampton.  It is always a risk that another team might trade up to get in front of you. 

The Steelers, with Tomlin, tend to like their board and take their guy even if they could have traded down.  These would be cases where they do not love a player and have several rated about the same.  Then it makes sense to get more picks.  They have never been from the Parcells school of more picks are better.

• Like 1

Another random musing from me:

A lot of podcasters are talking about 12 personnel with Smith in town. 

But honestly I’m more interested in 21 and 11. Connor Heyward is a better mismatch at the FB spot, and we can be much better and multiple out of it. What makes me want that more is GP and Heyward are good enough blockers potentially that you can move them not fully in line but into a wing position and win. 

12 will still have its place for this team and we would still be in it a lot. But winning from those formations are key. And that’s why I think moving Muth might be a good move. He’s just not a good enough blocker to win in 21 regularly. It’s why I like LaPorta so much last year because he lets that happen. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/comparing-steelers-run-scheme-with-arthur-smiths-in-tennessee/

Good article from our friends over at the Depot. An interesting note was the stats provided showed that Najee has actually done very well in his opportunities with the outside zone. I think his YPC is about 4.3 and that's with about 150 carries in his career. His fit issues might be a little overblown. It also showed that Warren has done much better in the inside zone scheme, and has not performed as well with the outside zone. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/comparing-steelers-run-scheme-with-arthur-smiths-in-tennessee/

Good article from our friends over at the Depot. An interesting note was the stats provided showed that Najee has actually done very well in his opportunities with the outside zone. I think his YPC is about 4.3 and that's with about 150 carries in his career. His fit issues might be a little overblown. It also showed that Warren has done much better in the inside zone scheme, and has not performed as well with the outside zone. 

I saw somewhere else, can’t find it now, but I think outside zone was the predominate scheme at Bama.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I saw somewhere else, can’t find it now, but I think outside zone was the predominate scheme at Bama.

Where and when the opponents were slower and defense was more futile.

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Gotta be honest...I dont see how this works out that well unless Bell is content with being RB3 with a possible total of maybe 20 to 30 carries all year.

I certainly don't think he should take carries from either Harris or Warren.

Bell will be 32, and I dont doubt he could probably still be decent, but his ego is the reason he left in the first place, and I cant see him being content with such a limited role.

I’m fine with it. As long as he knows the terms are not gtd to make the roster and if he does it’s limited snaps. 

I’ve always heard his problem around leaving wasn’t with Tomlin or Ben but rather with Colbert. There was so little wiggle room in what was being offered. I’ve heard the issue presented wasn’t that Bell wanted more money, it’s he wanted it structure to guarantee a year 2 or 3 in the deal knowing the volatility of RBs. Colbert kept on the only in year one line, and that was the friction. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’m fine with it. As long as he knows the terms are not gtd to make the roster and if he does it’s limited snaps. 

I’ve always heard his problem around leaving wasn’t with Tomlin or Ben but rather with Colbert. There was so little wiggle room in what was being offered. I’ve heard the issue presented wasn’t that Bell wanted more money, it’s he wanted it structure to guarantee a year 2 or 3 in the deal knowing the volatility of RBs. Colbert kept on the only in year one line, and that was the friction. 

Theyre going to get a 3rd guy…I’m just curious if it’s going to be say Patterson as you mentioned before or somebody else.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Gotta be honest...I dont see how this works out that well unless Bell is content with being RB3 with a possible total of maybe 20 to 30 carries all year.

I certainly don't think he should take carries from either Harris or Warren.

Bell will be 32, and I dont doubt he could probably still be decent, but his ego is the reason he left in the first place, and I cant see him being content with such a limited role.

I think he’s been humbled quite a bit. He has stated several times that he regrets leaving Pittsburgh and that it was the biggest mistake of his career. I think he just wants a paycheck and an opportunity to show up to TC and see if he still has it. 

Worst case scenario he shows up and is washed, we get to see Bell in that 26 jersey again in preseason and he gets cut and retires a Steeler as he should.

Best case he gets himself into shape, still has something left, and he is a solid RB3 who maybe gets a small handful of touches as a passing down back who can still catch the ball and pass protect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think he’s been humbled quite a bit. He has stated several times that he regrets leaving Pittsburgh and that it was the biggest mistake of his career. I think he just wants a paycheck and an opportunity to show up to TC and see if he still has it. 

Worst case scenario he shows up and is washed, we get to see Bell in that 26 jersey again in preseason and he gets cut and retires a Steeler as he should.

Best case he gets himself into shape, still has something left, and he is a solid RB3 who maybe gets a small handful of touches as a passing down back who can still catch the ball and pass protect. 

I'm a bit of a 'softie' at heart, and really think this is a Win-Win for both player and Organization.  Bell was wildly popular here, after most fans being unhappy with his selection at the get-go, so he 'won' a lot of fans over with his success.

Best case, he gets a few carries this year, and catches a few passes, and is productive, albeit a limited role, and retires a Steeler at the end of the season.  Worst case, he returns to being that spoiled child, and starts whining and complaining, and gets booted immediately, which I think is a very low probability, as I'm sure his contract will be structured in a way to protect the Organization--plus, he really seems to want to retire a Steeler, and appears to be willing to eat plenty of humble pie in the process, to accomplish his goal of getting a 2nd chance, earning a paycheck, and gets to retire a Steeler.

• Like 1