State of the Steelers

warfelg

21 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Bears leaking reports they are keeping Fields and trading the pick. Smart move.

if Williams is THAT  QB, I would disagree since I am not sold on Fields.  Still, if they get a major haul ( Wilson.2 type deal or like the panthers deal) they should be in position to make a major overhaul for the roster for years across the team.  

What would y'all expect the bears to get in return?

18 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Digest this.

hCnfXpOW_normal.jpg

AB

#Steelers Kenny Pickett has thrown a TD on 1.8% of his passes in the NFL. That's the lowest out of all 391 QBs with at least 500 attempts in NFL history. #CTESPNReport

·
Views

with canada

with smith

lets see how this goes, it really can't get worse

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/jfowlerespn/status/1762590048879366187?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Looks like they may trade him if they can’t reach a long term deal if I’m reading that correctly 

show does this work? 

They can tag him, but then trade, and the new team has to pay the first year as per the tag? Or does the deal get done and cap is less the first year?

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/pgsportsnow/status/1762582028162060665?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Gerry Dulac reasons why Steelers shouldn’t trade for Fields:

1. Pickett would be finished

2. Mason Rudolph wouldn’t be resigned 

Yea…that’s kind of the point Dulac.

There are several really good reasons not to trade for Fields, and those are the best he could come up with?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

There are several really good reasons not to trade for Fields, and those are the best he could come up with?

Do not hang onto KP too long.  Cost too much money but for this season he is cheap.

• Like 1

There is a Fields thread in NFL Gen that had a couple good posts that really sum up why I dont want to trade for Fields....

One of my issues with Fields, he really just had those two outlier weeks and was pretty mid outside of that.

Week 4/5: 617 yards (308.5 ypg), 8 TD, 1 INT, 9.6 Y/A, 67% comp

His other 11 starts: 1,945 yards (176.8 ypg), 8 TD, 8 INT, 6.3 Y/A, 60% comp

If bottom 12 QB play to you, in a league that had guys like Browning, Flacco, Minshew, and O’Connell performing comparably, isn’t awful to you, then it is what it is. A guy entering his contract year as a full time starter should have shown a lot more growth than Fields has.

Would we have a more EXCITING offense with Fields?    Absolutely no doubt....at least vs bad defenses who dont properly gameplan for him.

But it boggles my mind to no end that there are some Steeler fans that would be happily willing to,  not only trade a 2nd rd pick for a guy who has never truly shown the ability to be a remotely consistent passer in the NFL, but also seemingly willing to pay him $25m for his 5th year option or possibly extend him long term for AT LEAST the same amount per year.

Unless its a 2nd rd pick for a possible one year rental, which is.....just as bad, if not worse.

This is just a panic and desperation type of move, and decisions based on that pretty much never pay off.    

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

but also seemingly willing to pay him $25m

Would be the 17th ranked QB based on annual value. Yeah, I can live with that. 

You just don’t like field — which is absolutely 100% perfectly fine to be against him as a player. But there shouldn’t be an argument here on value. A 2nd round pick and $28M over two years in this QB economy? Heavens to Betsy that’s a discount. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Would be the 17th ranked QB based on annual value. Yeah, I can live with that. 

You just don’t like field — which is absolutely 100% perfectly fine to be against him as a player. But there shouldn’t be an argument here on value. A 2nd round pick and $28M over two years in this QB economy? Heavens to Betsy that’s a discount. 

It is not if he is not a franchise QB.  If he is not a franchise QB that money is a dead weight on the team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It is not if he is not a franchise QB.  If he is not a franchise QB that money is a dead weight on the team.

Wouldn’t be paying for him like he is one. 

Wouldn’t cost you the assets it takes to get one. 

• Like 1

I can see both sides of the Fields discussion. Every time it goes back and forth in this thread it makes me change my mind haha.

I will add my take in here real quick. While paying middling assets for Fields (2nd round pick and the 17th highest QB contract on the books) doesn't seem like the worst idea, I feel like we can get pretty much the same value from Mason Rudolph. Is Fields the guy that he looks like in his few great games, or is he the guy that is pretty average? I think I'd be okay with signing Fields because I do think he can still improve. If he can get anywhere close to his potential, he'll be a great QB. He's got more potential than a guy like Rudolph because of his legs, but he could also just end up being that mid level QB. I don't know enough about Fields' situation in Chicago. How bad was the talent around him? I know they had bad HC luck too. It's hard to know exactly who Fields is as a pro.