State of the Steelers

warfelg

Just now, jebrick said:

HAHA.  KC want 2 1st round picks and more.  They are going to franchise him.  why trade for a 2nd rounder?

I think it’s pretty clear the way they were willing to trade him came out asap that they were basically looking to recoup the compensatory pick they would get right away at minimum.  Also there’s the cap cost to the team acquiring him that keeps the overall value of Sneed in a trade down.  He also just turned 27, and with most corners being done or moved to safety at 30-31, that means you are maybe looking at 1-2 years of elite play and 1 year of really darn good play before the clock hits, which also impacts value of the pick.  Lastly this draft is stacked at CB so teams aren’t forced to go trade for one on the market because they know they can get younger and cost controlled for 4-5 years through the draft as opposed to giving up 2 1sts and $20mil+ for 2-3 years of a starter.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

The plan they are rumored to go with is the worst of the options. 

I can see it now...

"Steelers agree to 4yr/$180M contract with Cousins, with $82M Guaranteed!"

I could see us signing the 36YO coming off an Achilles tear to a long term deal with guaranteed money, lol...

No matter whether you are in the Fields camp, or the Pickett camp, I think we can agree something like the above being one of the worst possible outcomes, haha...

Just now, Ward4HOF said:

I can see it now...

I could see us signing the 36YO coming off an Achilles tear to a long term deal with guaranteed money, lol...

No matter whether you are in the Fields camp, or the Pickett camp, I think we can agree something like the above being one of the worst possible outcomes, haha...

Touché. 

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

I can see it now...

I think the Cousin's market will be pretty soft ( talking heads not withstanding).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I think the Cousin's market will be pretty soft ( talking heads not withstanding).

Agreed.  I think it’s going to be Atlanta and Minny.  I think 2-$80MM not fully guaranteed is going to be where he ends up.

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Schefter is reporting that we are still in on the QB market.

well obviously,  considering there is only one QB signed to the roster at the moment they need to sign someone. 

34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I still think it's going to be Tannehill. 

First off, I was being snarky at the Schefter report not with you 😉

As a mentor sure, but I don't know if I want him competing for the starting job. He looked pretty washed last year in Tennessee. He is a viable veteran backup, nothing more. Obviously, the connection to Smith makes Tannehill a favourite to be signed. 

If they want to bring in competition on the cheap I think Jacoby Brissett could be a good guy to bring in. Not flashy but solid. 

2 hours ago, C$! said:

First off, I was being snarky at the Schefter report not with you 😉

As a mentor sure, but I don't know if I want him competing for the starting job. He looked pretty washed last year in Tennessee. He is a viable veteran backup, nothing more. Obviously, the connection to Smith makes Tannehill a favourite to be signed. 

If they want to bring in competition on the cheap I think Jacoby Brissett could be a good guy to bring in. Not flashy but solid. 

I like Brissett too. I feel like Tannehill might be able to channel his prime one more year. In my head canon, he only looked bad because the offense didn’t suit him. Is that true? I have no idea. But it is in my head. 

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

HAHA.  KC want 2 1st round picks and more.  They are going to franchise him.  why trade for a 2nd rounder?

I'm just saying that's what the report said. But it's a report. Doesn't mean it's remotely true.

Also I posted that prior to knowing they were putting the non-exclusive tag on him.

Edited by VigilantZombie

16 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I'd be pretty surprised if we get Fields and honestly, I don't really want him anyway

What if you got him with just DJ and a 2025 3rd? I am for competition, but, like someone said, if Fields comes in it’s not for competition. In that sense, I’d prefer Russell Wilson, who was just cut. 

1 hour ago, rlon said:

What if you got him with just DJ and a 2025 3rd? I am for competition, but, like someone said, if Fields comes in it’s not for competition. In that sense, I’d prefer Russell Wilson, who was just cut. 

I'm not gonna lie I don't care what the cost is I don't want him.  I'm not even sure I won't wilson because i'm not sure he has anything left