State of the Steelers

warfelg

I don't get the Tyler Boyd love. He trashed the Steelers in the media multiple times and played 80% of his snaps in the slot. We are likely going with 2 TE sets. What's his role?

As far as Queen: I don't think it's a terrible signing, but I also don't feel like it checked a box. Nate Tice said it well, he is a talented player but he needs someone telling him what to do. Roquan did that -- Roquan is not here. So is that Roberts now? Feels like we made a nice signing...that needs another signing. It's well worth the shot for a 24 year old, but there's a reason he didn't get the Tremain Edmunds deal, signed on day 2, and has a massive out after year 1. Did we take care of LBer?

Same feeling for the DJ trade. The more I hear about Jackson the less I think we checked a box at corner, but we sure erased the check at WR. Jackson isn't a man guy, is a bad tackler, and can't play the slot. Doesn't sound like we are set at CB #2. 

Same with Wilson. Did we get a better QB. Yes! Did it change us from being a 4 win team to a 10 win team, likely no. Do we have QBotF figured out. No. So....feels like we did something. But what did we do? Worth the cost for this season, sure. Worth the wasted chance to find out if Kenny could be a guy (even if its a 1% change). I'm not sure...

And get ready to roll out Dan Moore at LT!

I don't mean to trash the FA period this soon, I really don't. They still have plenty of time to really show the plan. But this feels so disjointed right now and like they DON'T have a plan. Would just like to see that come together. 

Last year I thought they nailed FA and the draft. This year is pretty meh so far. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't get the Tyler Boyd love. He trashed the Steelers in the media multiple times and played 80% of his snaps in the slot. We are likely going with 2 TE sets. What's his role?

As far as Queen: I don't think it's a terrible signing, but I also don't feel like it checked a box. Nate Tice said it well, he is a talented player but he needs someone telling him what to do. Roquan did that -- Roquan is not here. So is that Roberts now? Feels like we made a nice signing...that needs another signing. It's well worth the shot for a 24 year old, but there's a reason he didn't get the Tremain Edmunds deal, signed on day 2, and has a massive out after year 1. Did we take care of LBer?

Same feeling for the DJ trade. The more I hear about Jackson the less I think we checked a box at corner, but we sure erased the check at WR. Jackson isn't a man guy, is a bad tackler, and can't play the slot. Doesn't sound like we are set at CB #2. 

Same with Wilson. Did we get a better QB. Yes! Did it change us from being a 4 win team to a 10 win team, likely no. Do we have QBotF figured out. No. So....feels like we did something. But what did we do? Worth the cost for this season, sure. Worth the wasted chance to find out if Kenny could be a guy (even if its a 1% change). I'm not sure...

And get ready to roll out Dan Moore at LT!

I don't mean to trash the FA period this soon, I really don't. They still have plenty of time to really show the plan. But this feels so disjointed right now and like they DON'T have a plan. Would just like to see that come together. 

Last year I thought they nailed FA and the draft. This year is pretty meh so far. 

While I agree with many of your points, I would say let it play out. 

Boyd can play the #2 as he did last year when Chase was down.

Khan has said that they are moving Jones to LT as envisioned.   Is Khan the coach?  Nope but I am sure he has talked to the coach and would not make that statement if there were not truth behind it.

As for Wilson, everything hinges on him being as competent as Rudolph with more mobility.  What we lose from Wilson is the middle of the field but that has been a wasteland for years in the Steeler offense.

Where I am worried is at center and CB. Jackson is not a #2CB.

• Like 5

Interesting thing from Tom Pallisario: We’ve been trying to trade for Donte Jackson for a year now. 

Something on Jackson - he was forced CB1 in Carolina, and him sliding to CB2 will be a good thing. And the fact that you can leave JPJ on an island, slide safety help Jackson’s way, which would really allow him to play a style that helps. He’s also really fast and we’ve been tabbed as one of the slowest secondaries for a while. 

There’s a lot to be thinking that in the locker room this might end up addition by subtraction because he was at the center of the Trubisky benching last year, a reported fight with Minkah this year, was a hold in for a contract (he’s likely to do that this year IMO), didn’t really work out with others in the offseason, and though reported that he would put in the extra work, he wasn’t a father the troops to push people worker in that way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

While I agree with many of your points, I would say let it play out. 

Khan has said that they are moving Jones to LT as envisioned.   Is Khan the coach?  Nope but I am sure he has talked to the coach and would not make that statement if there were not truth behind it.

As for Wilson, everything hinges on him being as competent as Rudolph with more mobility.  What we lose from Wilson is the middle of the field but that has been a wasteland for years in the Steeler offense.

Where I am worried is at center and CB. Jackson is not a #2CB.

Boyd - especially if it’s a low dollar contract where he understands he’s moving to the side for a rookie after some time. 

I think there’s something brewing with OL. Like you said, Kahn wouldn’t say what he did about Jones if the feeling in the building was he’s a RT. I’m more concerned about IOL than T oddly enough given how deep the T class is. 

Im starting to think that maybe Holcomb is healthier and talking about it like they didn’t know was the smokescreen in a backwards way. If we said he’s healthy then went after ILBs agents could bulk. If Holcomb and Queen are in the middle together that’s a good duo to have. 

I think Jackson can be a fine CB2 for the year, but this is what feels like the classic Steelers move. A guy who can play for you, doesn’t make you force the early CB pick, so you can take someone (Khyree Jackson) later in the draft and not push them into a starting role asap. 

• Like 2

I don’t get the Boyd love either…I’m thinking they plan on making a splash at WR whether it’s in FA/trade/or most likely draft.

The Steelers have 2 big holes on the OL…they will Not go into the draft with both being obvious needs.

Theyre adding 2 more decent players in FA…if Not more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

I don’t get the Boyd love either…I’m thinking they plan on making a splash at WR whether it’s in FA/trade/or most likely draft.

The Steelers have 2 big holes on the OL…they will Not go into the draft with both being obvious needs.

Theyre adding 2 more decent players in FA…if Not more.

I don’t love Boyd but I understand it from a football standpoint of not expensive, inside/outside ability, clean route runner, and good vet. 

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Mike Williams would make more sense IMO of those 2.

Agreed. I just see an ability to get a guy cheap. Obviously I hope he’s cut and awe can sign him cheap, but if it takes a pick to make sure we get him that’s better IMO because then you don’t fight other teams for him. 

39 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The guy who picked up snap count when Higgins went down last year was Irwin because of his abilities to play outside. I'm just not sure Boyd is a fit living in 2 WR sets. If we were gonna be in 11 personnel again I would be for it, but he isn't a fit in Smith's offense. 

41 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Khan has said that they are moving Jones to LT as envisioned.

His quote had the caveat of "eventually", though. No set time frame on that happening. 

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

What we lose from Wilson is the middle of the field but that has been a wasteland for years in the Steeler offense

This is a big part of Smith's offense though. The pieces just don't seem to fit well, which I don't love. 

I would say let it play out. 

Quoting this one last, because I definitely agree. Things just don't add up to me right now, but FA technically hasn't even started has it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/statsguydaniel/status/1767651691548020972?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

I keep coming back to the contract as to why to love the Queen signing so much. It’s a one year $13.5mil deal with two team options effectively. So if he regresses we move on so easily. If he continues his growth, we have him cheap. 

Exactly!  I'm still excited that we got a 25YO ILB, who was an AP 2nd Team Pro Bowler.  All those talking about Smith being the sole catalyst for Smith's play improvement are looking at it short-sided sense.  He was really young coming into the NFL, and needed time, like most 1st-contract players do.  It's not like he's going to forget how to play, because Roquan's not there. 

Plus, I honestly have faith in how Tomlin viewed his game, with the comments made about Queen prior to a Ravens game. I don't remember where I read it, but essentially, Tomlin had a lot of praise for Queen, and his intellectual ability for the game.  Sure, some of that is just offering respect for an opposing player before a game, but honestly, he could have pointed out anyone to say that about.

Also, Tomlin apparently was screaming at Queen during a recent game, about how he wasn't a Raven; he wasn't one of them...while there is speculation as to why he did that, one of the reasons could very well have been that he was trying to tell him that he should be a Steeler, planting the seed early in Queen's mind...just a total guess on my part, but it really seems that Tomlin likes Queen quite a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin wasn't banging the table for offering him a contract here to sign him to sign here...

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The guy who picked up snap count when Higgins went down last year was Irwin because of his abilities to play outside. I'm just not sure Boyd is a fit living in 2 WR sets. If we were gonna be in 11 personnel again I would be for it, but he isn't a fit in Smith's offense. 

His quote had the caveat of "eventually", though. No set time frame on that happening. 

This is a big part of Smith's offense though. The pieces just don't seem to fit well, which I don't love. 

Quoting this one last, because I definitely agree. Things just don't add up to me right now, but FA technically hasn't even started has it?

You still need depth at the position. Veteran depth ideally in a very immature room. Boyd competes, he has more dog in him than Allen Robinson. I would not want him at a high price but adding a piece from the competition doesn't hurt either. We regularly beat Baltimore but Cincy/Burrow has had our number most out of the 3 division teams when Joe is healthy. 

• Like 1

This may be a huge stretch of the imagination, on my part, but is it possible that Tomlin and the Offense coaches/Staff, have faith in Denzel Mims??  Enough to believe that we might have a solid #2 WR candidate, already in house??

Not that they would ever put all their eggs in one basket, per se, and surely they will bring in a WR, at the very least, on Day 1 or 2 of the draft, but is it possible, we concentrate or next FA move on an O-Lineman??