State of the Steelers

warfelg

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Amen. Amen. Amen.  This has been my feeling for a few years now.  On top of that we always seem to have that guy who’s loved by fans but gets the moniker “oh if he could just xyz.”  Guys like Austin, Washington, Wheaton, Coats.

Yea that’s why I’m for trying a different approach. Just go get the guy who you already know for a fact is THE guy and more importantly not a head a case, pay him and be done with it. 

• Like 1

I would hope if they did a similar deal to that, I would want Aiyuk to get at least a 4 year deal.

Kaboly suggestion of a 3 year deal isn’t long enough.

I'd rather add Pickens to the ayiuk deal, no way to pay them both in 1 or 2 years 

Pickens and a pick swap or something rather than our 1st 

Unless you're going for a 1 year shot with rus

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd trade a 2nd+ for Aiyuk. We'd need to work on the extension before I'd agree with it though. I don't mind paying big bucks to a WR if the QB is cheap. He's basically the perfect WR for Artie Smith. 

I mean, I think there's a lot of validity to that.

12 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

I'd rather add Pickens to the ayiuk deal, no way to pay them both in 1 or 2 years 

Pickens and a pick swap or something rather than our 1st 

Unless you're going for a 1 year shot with rus

Taking contracts into account, Pickens and Aiyuk are nearly equal value to me. Swapping them is pointless and doesn’t accomplish anything in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Taking contracts into account, Pickens and Aiyuk are nearly equal value to me. Swapping them is pointless and doesn’t accomplish anything in my opinion. 

Yep, and you still have a big hole at WR2

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I think at this point, they're not signing Boyd and they lost Mike Williams so I think they might overpay in a trade for a WR because their options are getting thin. 

It’s pretty ugly out there now. OBJ, Boyd, Gallup, Reynolds, Michael Thomas, DJ Chark…

Reynolds is the most intriguing name on that list to me and that’s pretty sad. 

43 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I don't know about equal value, aiyuk is proven to be one of the best wr in the league , Pickens has the ability but not there yet

But that's why I've been on the draft a wr rd 1 , you can get top tier Oline fa for middling tier WR money

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

I don't know about equal value, aiyuk is proven to be one of the best wr in the league , Pickens has the ability but not there yet

But that's why I've been on the draft a wr rd 1 , you can get top tier Oline fa for middling tier WR money

To be clear I was talking about trade value (with Pickens being 3 years younger and still on a rookie deal for two seasons with Aiyuk needing a massive deal this offseason). Of course I would take Aiyuk in a vacuum.

My point remains, swapping Pickens for Aiyuk doesn’t really accomplish anything in that you still have a massive hole at WR on the roster.

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Where exactly has that gotten us? Claypool ended up being a bust and we got extremely lucky to fleece the Bears for JPJ. DJ was just traded for peanuts. Pickens, while obviously talented is a ticking time bomb and is a true 50/50 to end up signing an extension here. JuJu was good for a couple seasons with AB and then fizzled out hard. Martavis Bryant was shipped out for nothing. 

My point is, everyone points to us being so good at drafting WRs yet every single offseason WR is at or near the top of our needs. If we are so good at drafting receivers, why do we need to draft so damn many of them?

While I dont necessarily disagree, I think there is a large combination of factors that go into this.

I feel like Claypool, Juju and even DJ to a point were the result of both mediocre/declining QB play, poor playcalling/usage and bad attitudes and lack of focus on football all contributed to their failures.

All of those guys could have been more successful.    Claypool and Juju IMO never cared about football enough.   DJ IMO just has an ego he shouldnt have for such an inconsistent player, and I never got an urgency from him to improve.

Martavis Bryant had plenty of talent.   We know what got him ousted from the team and then the league.

Emmanuel Sanders was used poorly and stuck behind two good WRs.

Make no mistake....we have been good at evaluating wide receiver TALENT....but it takes more than talent to be successful in this league.

As far as Aiyuk, I seriously doubt we would have to worry about him flaming out the way those other guys did, and his a proven players and great compliment to Pickens.   I would NOT trade Pickens for Aiyuk because IMO, it doesnt solve any problems and defeats the main purpose of bringing Aiyuk here.    

I get people not wanting to trade for him, and even I would have to really look at it and consider all the options, but I would at least CONSIDER it.

• Like 1

Gotta be honest....I still dont understand "the plan" this year.    We made a couple big moves at QB and signed Patrick Queen, but we still have 4 glaring holes I see and we have been sitting on our hands and there arent many options out there left.    CB would likely be the easiest to address right now.    Connor Williams is probably the only center option left that is a clear upgrade over Mason Cole.   There are really no notable OT options left, and there wasnt many to begin with.   There were WR options, and I suppose there still are, but we currently have one proven WR on the roster and he is probably a ticking time bomb.

I want to trust Khan and Weidl, and I will for the time being since, at the very least, they havent many any stupid moves like trading for Jerry Jeudy and grossly overpaying him, but it seems like they may have gotten rid of certain player prematurely and havent adequately filled those holes.

In fairness, they could and probably will address something POST draft and even into preseason when there are always unexpected names that either hit the trade block or are outright cut.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Connor Williams is probably the only center option left that is a clear upgrade over Mason Cole. 

Actually, Brian Allen would be an upgrade, but no way in heck do I believe he'd make it through even half the season, which is a problem of course; dude always gets injured.

I agree that we let our OL woes, just progress, unchecked, which is why I really think we need to NOT use our 1.20 on Aiyuk.  Just by the sheer number of OL prospects, one of the 1st Rd guys will be available when we pick.  We really need to get Jones over to the left side, to realize his full potential.  Maybe they really like Dylan Cook as a potential starting RT, and Herbig as our Starting OC, but I doubt it.

I agree, however, that the entirety of the plan is not visible to us, but I'm sure that Khan has a plan.  I just don't want to trade our 1.20, as there almost always seems to be a talent who falls to us when we draft in the late teens/early 20s.  Is Aiyuk worth it??  Yes, if we only look at the talent piece, but then there is the contract, and what I mentioned above.  I have a feeling we are about to find out...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Actually, Brian Allen would be an upgrade, but no way in heck do I believe he'd make it through even half the season, which is a problem of course; dude always gets injured.

So you do that and draft Frazier in the 2nd and its fine, you use Allen's potential of an injury to make the switch.

6 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I agree that we let our OL woes, just progress, unchecked, which is why I really think we need to NOT use our 1.20 on Aiyuk.  Just by the sheer number of OL prospects, one of the 1st Rd guys will be available when we pick.  We really need to get Jones over to the left side, to realize his full potential.  Maybe they really like Dylan Cook as a potential starting RT, and Herbig as our Starting OC, but I doubt it.

2/3 of the starting quality C's are going in the late 2nd/early 3rd.  And there's going to be a lot of RT type guys you can get letter.  WR might be deep, but something I'm confident in is you want find someone that beings what Aiyuk will at any of these picks.  Not only does he bring something on the field that we need, be brings something in the locker room and the WR room that's needed in a leader who will pull everyone together.  Additionally he comes from a run first team, so he can really be a great mentor to GP for staying involved in the game, staying ready for opportunities when they come along, and dedicating to the craft.

13 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I agree, however, that the entirety of the plan is not visible to us, but I'm sure that Khan has a plan.  I just don't want to trade our 1.20, as there almost always seems to be a talent who falls to us when we draft in the late teens/early 20s.  Is Aiyuk worth it??  Yes, if we only look at the talent piece, but then there is the contract, and what I mentioned above.  I have a feeling we are about to find out...

I feel like he want's to work to land this big move before the next part kicks in.