State of the Steelers

warfelg

17 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/b_gnation1/status/1772747299334086683?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Significantly thinner, wow. I have been begging for him to do this. All that size was necessary when he was getting 90% of the RB touches but not anymore. 

it will be quite a change for Najee having good QB play and OL play and OC.  He might go into shock, but a few 150 yard games should help him accept the new reality. 

Does smith's scheme suit Najee's way of running?

20 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Najee and Le'Veon had very similar draft profiles coming out (although some of Le'Veon's was hilariously not in-line with his pro career). Even if this doesn't make him an elusive runner, it likely increases his long speed.

The downside of the Najee/Le'Veon comparison is that we don't have near the OL that we did when Le'Veon was here, which was a large part of his success.

Bell was a great RB but as you say , the OL had a lot to do with his success. He did nothing on all the other teams he went to.  If we get a new C and RT, move Jones to LT, then the run game will be legit.  I expect Moore at LT still and not sure who is at C.  Run game is unknown right now with new OC and OL in need of new players. 

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am not sure how Najee losing a significant about of weight, thus gaining speed and acceleration, does not make him a better player. 

Obviously, opinions can vary especially on matters that haven't occurred yet. However, Najee isn't an elusive runner with great vison. At least that isn't how I would describe him.  If losing weight allows him to pick up some long speed, that's great. But if losing that weight reduces his ability to fight thru the trash at the LOS, that will be a problem. I like @rlon's take that maybe Smith asked him to lose weight so he can fit his system. If that's the case, I am hopeful the weight loss is a plus and Najee breaks out. 

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am not sure how Najee losing a significant about of weight, thus gaining speed and acceleration, does not make him a better player. 

It is kinda funny to me how last year everyone was talking about how he needs to do this (not everyone but you know what I mean), and now the reaction that he did it is “woah, he’s not that good now he’ll be worse”.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It is kinda funny to me how last year everyone was talking about how he needs to do this (not everyone but you know what I mean), and now the reaction that he did it is “woah, he’s not that good now he’ll be worse”.

Maybe the "not everyones" are the ones showing some concern now.  Also, wondering if it's going to benefit him is different than  “woah, he’s not that good now he’ll be worse”.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Maybe the "not everyones" are the ones showing some concern now.  Also, wondering if it's going to benefit him is different than  “woah, he’s not that good now he’ll be worse”.

Oh I kept the receipts on Twitter, and there’s definitely a ton that have been on both sides of this.

I have been banging the drum about Najee needing to slim down since his rookie year. I hope this helps him out like it did Bell. We could really be in for a treat watching our run game this year. A *hopefully* quicker and faster Najee with a healthy dose of Warren, added to Artie Smiths offense, could be really tough to stop. Now if we can get an offensive line to make it all work. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Obviously, opinions can vary especially on matters that haven't occurred yet. However, Najee isn't an elusive runner with great vison. At least that isn't how I would describe him.  If losing weight allows him to pick up some long speed, that's great. But if losing that weight reduces his ability to fight thru the trash at the LOS, that will be a problem. I like @rlon's take that maybe Smith asked him to lose weight so he can fit his system. If that's the case, I am hopeful the weight loss is a plus and Najee breaks out. 

Najee, even with the weight loss, is still a massive running back. IIRC he put on a bunch of weight heading into year 2 specifically to handle the massive workload he was expected to have. That’s no longer a necessity. 

Idk I just have so many Najee runs in my head where I feel like with just a little more burst he could have turned an 8 yard run into a 50 yard run. I think he could be in for a massive season if he adapts to Smith’s run scheme.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Najee and Le'Veon had very similar draft profiles coming out (although some of Le'Veon's was hilariously not in-line with his pro career). Even if this doesn't make him an elusive runner, it likely increases his long speed.

The downside of the Najee/Le'Veon comparison is that we don't have near the OL that we did when Le'Veon was here, which was a large part of his success.

LeVeon had quick feet, elite patience and better vision than Najee.

Najee is a north/south volume runner who isnt really a bettering ram back, but is hard to bring down when he gets rolling.   He is a rich mans Najee Davenport.

I dont think the weight loss is a BAD thing, but again, I dont see him being notably better than he was with the additional mass.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:04 PM, 43M said:

LeVeon had quick feet, elite patience and better vision than Najee.

Najee is a north/south volume runner who isnt really a bettering ram back, but is hard to bring down when he gets rolling.   He is a rich mans Najee Davenport.

I dont think the weight loss is a BAD thing, but again, I dont see him being notably better than he was with the additional mass.

agree on this. I am still waiting to see what the OL  is like for the run game and how much better a legit OC and OL is for both Najee and Warren. They could go over 1000 yards each .