State of the Steelers

warfelg

36 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/haydenwinks/status/1786092040478155230?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

I actually agree with this idea. Add Chris Godwin to the list of potential post June 1 vet WR options.

So we have Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, Chris Godwin, Tyler Lockett, Courtland Sutton…

I wouldn’t do Tyler Lockett…past 30 and still decently high cap number.

17 minutes ago, AFF said:

I wouldn’t do Tyler Lockett…past 30 and still decently high cap number.

He’s a UFA after the 2025 season and can be cut with only 4 million in dead money after 2024. I think he still has plenty left in the tank to be a 2 year option. He rarely takes big hits by sacrificing a ton of YAC which could prolong his career. Has chemistry with Russ. Put up 79-894-5 (11.3 ypc) last year. He’s definitely not my favorite option but I do think he makes sense, pending we don’t have to give up more than a day 3 pick.

Najee's 5th year option declined...

I mean, it makes sense I guess. Who knows if he will fit in Arthur Smith's offense. Just felt like 7mill is a fair number to keep him around for one more year. 

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I mean, it makes sense I guess. Who knows if he will fit in Arthur Smith's offense. Just felt like 7mill is a fair number to keep him around for one more year. 

They could still sign him to a long term deal after the year. It's good for Najee too. If I was a 1st round RB, I'd want my option declined. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They could still sign him to a long term deal after the year. It's good for Najee too. If I was a 1st round RB, I'd want my option declined. 

When is the last time we declined a 5th year option and ultimately re-signed that player to a long-term deal? I feel like that is rare in the NFL.

Boy. Didn’t expect that. 

My trade request email would have hit Khans inbox less than 20 seconds after hearing that. 

Hoping they have some sort of short extension instead. But that’s gotta be tough for Najee to hear. 

32 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Boy. Didn’t expect that. 

My trade request email would have hit Khans inbox less than 20 seconds after hearing that. 

Hoping they have some sort of short extension instead. But that’s gotta be tough for Najee to hear. 

Not much leverage Najee has in this situation unfortunately. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

what if his best offer is $5M next year, they match that and save $2M, and bring back some former steeler for a need o.O  Point is, you never know when the limited capspace thats left over can help so why spend more than required especially at a position that has been devalued in recent times. 

Maybe they have plans to keep Warren and the total cost for the RB room will be too high if they kept Najee. 

lets hope Najee doesn't 'fumble'  now and then more than usual

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

teammates won't like it, but thats business or is it the end of business? I was expecting them to pic up the 5th  but this FO is much different and taking time to get used to.

6.8M isn't much especially considering the amount of capspace they will have next year. 

Edited by 3rivers