State of the Steelers

warfelg

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

if true. I wonder who the other two teams are that moved on. Raiders with Adams?

Washington with McLauren. Makes too much sense imo. 

I know people are going to keep hoping and praying its gonna happen, but I dont see us trading for a WR.  

Well, let me rephrase that....I dont see us trading for a top end guy.    I could see us signing or possibly trading for a fringe WR2/3.....but we arent getting any "elite" WR or anything close to it.   Higgins would probably be our best shot....if he didn't play for our division rival.

At this point, I think it would cost more than Id be willing to pay for a guy like Aiyuk.   I think the 49ers are content keeping him this year and letting him walk after 2024 unless they get a crazy offer.    They are going to have to pay Purdy soon enough and they will likely want to maximize their chances of winning in the short window they still have him on a rookie deal.   

I could possibly see Aiyuk getting traded DURING the season after they see what Pearsall has to offer.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

At this point, I think it would cost more than Id be willing to pay for a guy like Aiyuk.   I think the 49ers are content keeping him this year and letting him walk after 2024 unless they get a crazy offer.    They are going to have to pay Purdy soon enough and they will likely want to maximize their chances of winning in the short window they still have him on a rookie deal.   

I think SF is going to see the "F around and find out" next season with Aiyuk when he walks for nothing.  I mean they were asking for a 1st straight up for Aiyuk or Deebo and the league rebuffed them.  And the other teams know the position they are in.

I've heard a former GM say before that what he learned was in situations like this if you believe in Purdy that much that you are going to extend him and pay him $50MM+ AAV on this next contract, you move Aiyuk/Deebo now, get the compensatory pick a year early, and go from there.

This guy (I can't remember off the top of my head, was on local radio in an around the league segment) said he thinks Lynch played himself on this and is about to get a crash course in paying the QB mechanics.  The guy suggested that Lynch should have moved Aiyuk for a 3rd this year of 2nd this year.  He said especially after the drafting of Pearsall, he should pivot to that move.  You don't worry about "fair" value, you worry about "right" value in terms of what it gets you.  So you move Aiyuk for a 3rd this year and next year, now you have assets to move up next year, and you pivot to signing Tyler Boyd.  Boyd fills some of that Ayiuk void while Pearsall develops, then Pearsall moves outside and Boyd is one of the best slot WR's in the game. Especially at this point Boyd could likely be had cheaper than Aiyuk in 2025, so you can remain just as good and pay everyone else.

• Like 1

AR2, it's not special, it's how much the game has changed in 40 years 9_9 Lets hope AR2 isn't too involved from here on, let Weidl/Khan handle the roster. Philly fans are less tolerant and quite vocal, so if KP fails bad there, he will get the boo birds and then some . 

“It’s something for me to be able to say that we drafted somebody who broke all of Dan Marino’s records in college,” Steelers president Art Rooney II said after drafting Pickett. “It’s pretty special.”

https://steelersnow.com/tony-dungy-reveals-lesson-learned-in-steelers-passing-on-dan-marino/

53 minutes ago, 43M said:

I could possibly see Aiyuk getting traded DURING the season after they see what Pearsall has to offer.

will the compensation be about the same or higher /lower?  

with this new offence , I am not sure what to think about paying that for a WR1 if GP actually takes off as expected. It's good for depth, but with other needs it might not be the best overall answer.  It would help to land a top WR but if we have a major need at CB2 (if Porter gets hurt , lack of depth) , then that will have to be weighed out. 

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think SF is going to see the "F around and find out" next season with Aiyuk when he walks for nothing

If he walks away with a Super Bowl ring, I don’t think they will care. 

They have Super Bowl aspirations. I highly doubt they are considering nickel and diming the value. 

• Like 2

🏈 NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger believes the Steelers new offensive line will be the best Russell Wilson has had.

“I think it’s gonna be the best offensive line by far that Russell Wilson has played behind, probably ever, once this group really begins to gel and come together. I think that’s gonna help him. He’s always been a guy that wanted to move, that because of his size and height, he’s always had to find the openings in order to make these throws,” Baldinger said 0n 93.7 The Fan’s Morning Show

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

🏈 NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger believes the Steelers new offensive line will be the best Russell Wilson has had.

“I think it’s gonna be the best offensive line by far that Russell Wilson has played behind, probably ever, once this group really begins to gel and come together. I think that’s gonna help him. He’s always been a guy that wanted to move, that because of his size and height, he’s always had to find the openings in order to make these throws,” Baldinger said 0n 93.7 The Fan’s Morning Show

This is truly Wilson's last best shot at doing something else with his career. He's got an offensive system that seems to fit him to a T. He's got an offensive line that should protect him well. He's got a defense that has championship aspirations. Our pass catching weapons aren't as stocked as some teams he's had in the past, but maybe Khan will fix that in the coming weeks. 

54 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is truly Wilson's last best shot at doing something else with his career. He's got an offensive system that seems to fit him to a T. He's got an offensive line that should protect him well. He's got a defense that has championship aspirations. Our pass catching weapons aren't as stocked as some teams he's had in the past, but maybe Khan will fix that in the coming weeks. 

it should be effective, but I agree that getting that top WR will really make it the best scenario for Wilson and company.  If they can't get a WR, then get XH to make the defence lockdown with another player that would be a bargain wanting to prove himself for a new  contract next year.  I expect GP to break out and be a clear WR and elite, but time will tell.  

18 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

it should be effective, but I agree that getting that top WR will really make it the best scenario for Wilson and company.  If they can't get a WR, then get XH to make the defence lockdown with another player that would be a bargain wanting to prove himself for a new  contract next year.  I expect GP to break out and be a clear WR and elite, but time will tell.  

I'm not sure XH has much left in the tank. I think our best bet is to sign Cam Sutton or trade for a dark horse CB that nobody is thinking about now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I know people are going to keep hoping and praying its gonna happen, but I dont see us trading for a WR.  

Well, let me rephrase that....I dont see us trading for a top end guy.    I could see us signing or possibly trading for a fringe WR2/3.....but we arent getting any "elite" WR or anything close to it.   Higgins would probably be our best shot....if he didn't play for our division rival.

He isn’t my favorite player but Zay Jones actually fits pretty decently here as a WR2. He’s better than anyone else we have on the roster and anyone else who is on the open market. He was banged up last year but went 82-823-5 just the season before.  

• Like 1

https://steelersnow.com/dan-moore-could-start-over-troy-fautanu-in-week-1/

it's reports like this that are not promising.   Just start both rookies day 1. They might have a Joe Thomas here,never miss a snap forever, and it would be a waste to have him sit while Moore starts  and we know isn't as good.   Dulac putting scare tactics out there already.  Maybe bring back mason cole  as well? 

Jones/Fautanu     Semo     ZF    Daniels     Jones/Fautanu

just do the right thing from day 1