State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Still flip-flopping Jones because of Dan freaking Moore. Not trying to overreact over day 1 of OTAs but this is just unbelievable.

jim-halpert-the-office.gif

I do not understand why they can't tell Dan Moore to kick rocks. I do not care about his comfort level at RT, it doesn't matter. His development doesn't matter. We KNOW what he is at LT. We just drafted tackle in the first round of back to back drafts. None of this should be giving him any form of priority over anyone. He is a dead man walking on this team if he doesn't show versatility. 

Not having Broderick's position set day 1 is a crime. It's a felony when it's because of Dan Moore Jr. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/farabaughfb/status/1792995160906727534?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

I have an idea: get Dan Moore off this team and stop letting a bum hinder your two 1st round OTs development by not allowing them to play where THEY feel comfortable. 

Still flip-flopping Jones because of Dan freaking Moore. Not trying to overreact over day 1 of OTAs but this is just unbelievable.

https://x.com/PickedByMinkah/status/1792984804876579076

Moore was also going after Jones in all the drills it seems. Maybe Jones is working at RT because the plan is with an injury to Fautanu Jones would go to RT and Moore in at LT?

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/PickedByMinkah/status/1792984804876579076

Moore was also going after Jones in all the drills it seems. Maybe Jones is working at RT because the plan is with an injury to Fautanu Jones would go to RT and Moore in at LT?

I’m sure that’s part of the plan. Like it or hate it, Moore is still on this team and they look at him as a better OT than Cook or Anderson. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Troy and Jones both mix in some of the left and right sides also. At this point we don’t have a true swing tackle, we have at least one guy for each side behind the starters 

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Compared to Dan Moore “Coach I don’t feel comfortable over there 🥺🥺

Thats great that Jones is a team first guy and will play wherever. But in my opinion, with as raw as he was/is, it would benefit him greatly to just pick a side and stay there and master it. I’m no coach though. 

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Compared to Dan Moore “Coach I don’t feel comfortable over there 🥺🥺

Thats great that Jones is a team first guy and will play wherever. But in my opinion, with as raw as he was/is, it would benefit him greatly to just pick a side and stay there and master it. I’m no coach though. 

I'm trying not to overreact and think logically through it. Because I've also seen (unconfirmed) reports that when that line was in with Moore at LT Herbig was also at C over Frazier. If that's true then I chalk this up to Tomlin doing his "earn the snaps" routine with Fautanu and Frazier and Jones at RT is temporary. 

Additionally what the press gets to see is a small part of the OTA's se we don't know the 'division of labor' where who was in where. For all we know Jones could have practiced 70% of the time at LT with Fautanu at RT, and kicked over to RT 30% of the time to work Moore in.

I think I said it when we drafted Fautanu but the "battle" is going to be Jones V Moore at LT.  If Moore loses he goes to the bench and if Jones loses he goes to RT and Fautanu to the bench. But my 'armchair coach/gm' read of the situation is that they don't trust Cook or Anderson as of right now at one or both OT positions and the flexibility that Jones/Fautanu could give you is better, so you need to keep those three (adding in Moore) in the rotation of working snaps at OTA's.

Basically TL;DR - Bother me when we're a week our from Preseason Game 1 to be alarmed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Jones at RT is temporary. 

Jones should be taking no snaps at RT if he is ultimately their LT, especially if it's just a facade into rookie's "earning" snaps. 

It makes no sense to do this stuff to your top picks for the sake of a guy who will be off the roster this time next year. The 14th overall pick should be focusing on being the best XT he can be instead of learning to be your swing tackle because the guy you continually try to replace can't be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

These are OTAs.  Frazier needs to learn the calls.  Coaches are spending time working on technique and the new playbook.  I would not read anything into it.

Amen man. They had JPJ and DJ flipping back and forth at corners, sounds like the DL was shuffling around, pass rushers flipping around, WR's going onto both sides.

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's an interesting article. 

I'm curious on all the other small things that are being picked up on because Pickens made comments about only seeing 80% of what he's capable of and changes should get him there along with the better QB play.