State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

What the hell are we saving money for next year? 

Why not put offensive line capital to bed for multiple years? 

Yeah I don’t get this move. Letting a solid 26-27 yo IOL walk doesn’t make sense.  Especially with how the market is going.  Much worse IOL are going for much more when they make it to FA. Half decent ones rarely hit FA.  Not sure how they could hang their hat on McCormick.  

• Like 1

It seems they are putting a lot of trust in McCormick or Spenser Anderson to develop into a starter grade. I’m not sure I would play it that way, but they can always sign Daniels after the season if they need to, yes it will cost more money than now, but they will have the money if needed. Good chance Larry O is gone, and Cam resigned, so more money clears, but we will still need to figure out QB money. I will say I have more faith in Khan than Colbert so if he has a plan then I’ll wait and see it. 

• Like 1

Save money if they want to pay Pickens or if they decide to sign Fields/Wilson to a long term deal.  I would rather keep the line together but those are possible reasons for the salary move.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Save money if they want to pay Pickens or if they decide to sign Fields/Wilson to a long term deal.  I would rather keep the line together but those are possible reasons for the salary move.

Yea. I'm kinda ok with this.  New OC, new WR coach, new QB coach, 2 QB's on 1 year deals....it's fine (IMO) going into the offseason with this flexibility. I said it a few pages back and it got an upset reaction, but just because you have the space doesn't mean you go around extending everyone just because of that. 

Additionally, Kahn has been on the business side a really long time. One thing he knows better than most in the NFL is what players value is, what they are looking for, and what he should be paying them. If he isn't working to extend James Daniels is likely means that the contract he's looking for is one of the top at the position and he knows he can get play just as good at a lower dollar value.

Something I would also not rule out: James Daniels might be the trade bate in a player for a WR. If he is, it makes sense not to work out something that would forward a bunch of cap hit into this year.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea. I'm kinda ok with this.  New OC, new WR coach, new QB coach, 2 QB's on 1 year deals....it's fine (IMO) going into the offseason with this flexibility. I said it a few pages back and it got an upset reaction, but just because you have the space doesn't mean you go around extending everyone just because of that. 

Additionally, Kahn has been on the business side a really long time. One thing he knows better than most in the NFL is what players value is, what they are looking for, and what he should be paying them. If he isn't working to extend James Daniels is likely means that the contract he's looking for is one of the top at the position and he knows he can get play just as good at a lower dollar value.

Something I would also not rule out: James Daniels might be the trade bate in a player for a WR. If he is, it makes sense not to work out something that would forward a bunch of cap hit into this year.

No on said extend him for the sake of extending him just because they have the cap room going forward…cmon now.

Theyve been putting $$& and numerous high picks into the OL and only to let a pretty solid young OG leave doesn’t make sense….its Not like he’s 33 or only has 1 year of tape…he’s proven.

They can have flexibility and still lock up the OL for a few years…even if they threw $30 mill next year at Pickens/Aiyuk/whomever it doesn’t really matter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

What the hell are we saving money for next year? 

Why not put offensive line capital to bed for multiple years? 

Exactly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

No on said extend him for the sake of extending him just because they have the cap room going forward…cmon now.

That's not what I'm saying but ok.

Just a reminder as of right now all the FA's for next year:

Russell Wilson, Cam Heyward, James Daniels, Donte Jackson, Justin Fields, Nate Herbig, Elandon Roberts, Damontae Kazee, Pat Freiermuth, Jaylen Warren

Those are all penciled in starters or high end contributors as of right now.

As for depth or question mark players:

Van Jefferson, Scotty Miller, Quez Watkins, MyCole Pruitt, Darius Rush.

Additionally players up for extensions next summer that will likely get/warrant one:

TJ Watt, George Pickens. To a lesser extent Isaac Seumalo, Deshon Elliott

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

It seems they are putting a lot of trust in McCormick or Spenser Anderson to develop into a starter grade.

I would never just assume a 4th round pick would become a starter sight-unseen, but let's just say it works out perfectly -- why not replace Seumalo (32 next season) instead of James Daniels who is in the prime of his career?  Allocate the near $8M in savings for cutting Isaac (not likely to see another contract with us) and put that towards JD's new 2025 hit. Whenever they drafted McCormick, I was certain that's what they would try to do. 

Best case scenario: We have a rookie contract RT, LT, C, and then LG.... kinda crazy to not pay 1 guy for that entire position group. 

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

but they can always sign Daniels after the season if they need to, yes it will cost more money than now, but they will have the money if needed

This is fine in a vacuum, but when you considered that they have multiple guys now potentially doing the same thing it makes less sense. I'm guessing you could have had Daniels around the $16M-$18M with leverage, but if he hits FA with options it's probably pulling around $20M+ with a good season.

You don't just spend money because you have it to spend, but it's silly to spend more for the sake of doing so too. 

2 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Cam resigned

I am pro Cam extension, but letting a 27 year old walk while keeping the 35 year old on a team that has a very questionable 2 year super bowl picture would be a choice. 

49 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Pickens big money wouldn't hit until 2026 at the earliest. We have over $100M in cap space currently (and that's BEFORE and new streaming things like the Netflix deals hit). We could extend Daniels, Muth, and Heyward without doing any fancy NFL math and still land Dak Prescott on a $60M deal. 

Maybe they are just putting their foot down on certain positions not getting paid (guard, RB), which makes sense in a vacuum. Maybe they just don't like Daniels fit. Maybe they are going big game hunting and want Prescott/Herbert/Cousins + Aiyuk.

But this is an odd decision, IMO, with so much cap flexibility moving forward and so few guys being paid on the offense. We have made decisions like we are hard against the cap and we are the opposite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Maybe they are just putting their foot down on certain positions not getting paid (guard, RB), which makes sense in a vacuum. Maybe they just don't like Daniels fit. Maybe they are going big game hunting and want Prescott/Herbert/Cousins + Aiyuk.

I mean, it's likely a combination of all three TBH. Kahn is really savvy with not just the cap but also asset allocation when it comes to the cap, so there's likely an element of feeling like certain positions (OG, RB) are not worth the high dollar figures (we've gotten really good play our of Daniels and Seumalo at value much lower). There could be an element of not liking the fit and the style of blocker he is vs what they want (it seems like they want more maulers inside that can fight while they want athletic guys on the edge). And maybe he does look at the power of the ability to go big game hunting in FA and feels that OG/RB's are positions you can get 'value' out of in a later pick or lower cost.

I understand the desire to feel like things are settled by extending Daniels, but all three of your reasons here on their own are legit reasons to hold off, but combined it's a really good reason to say "We don't love his fit at the dollar he'll command, and we prefer to spend big bucks elsewhere, so let let him hit FA." 

Personally I feel like this is the old way of the Steelers operating. Daniels isn't a irreplaceable star (IMO) that you need to lock in, and if you had the quick conversation and the figure was too high, yea let him hit FA. If someone wants to pay him that, then good for him. If he finds out no one else values him that high, then maybe he comes back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Extending players just to extend them is not good business in the NFL.  Extending Pickens next year is cheaper than extending him in 2026

I don't consider extending a good+ starter to be "just extending him".

Yes, extending Pickens next season is the most cost effective, but look at pretty much all extension deals shows that 2025 number is going to be extremely manageable followed by years of higher cap hits. Since it would be similar numbers probably, look at TJ Watt: $1M salary in year 1 and the rest in bonus for an $8M cap hit followed by years in the $20's for cap hits. 

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I understand the desire to feel like things are settled by extending Daniels

It's not just about being settled -- though, that's a piece of it. But it's also about keeping good players when you have the luxury of doing so. So if this is a decision on a dollar figure for a good, capable starter, that doesn't make sense to me with where we are financially.

I understand the RB and G dollar markets, but again, we are acting like we are flush against the cap and we aren't. So putting dollars into those positions when you have the availability to do so makes far more sense and allows you to just flat out worry about more premier positions. 

It's great to dream about Prescott throwing to Aiyuk next year, but wanting it doesn't mean it's happening and if those big dollar guys don't land here because the Chargers are more attractive for WR with Herbert and Miami is a better market/offensive situation for Prescott.....what's the plan? Remember, we just celebrated signing a massive, HUGE....$13.6M/1 year contract as the biggest in Steelers history....

You guys seem to see it as "look at all the things we CAN do" and I see "look at all the things we HAVE to do". Neither is right or wrong, but I think this is a missed opportunity for a good player and a cleared out need for an entire unit. 

• Like 1

The thought that people are against extending a young solid starter at a position group that’s been a problem for years doesn’t make any sense to me.