State of the Steelers

warfelg

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The PPF thing is only because LBs( which they count Watt) get less points than a Dlineman.  So for PPF almost sacks, Watt does need to have a record breaking year to beat out a dlineman.

I personally like sacks since it is a metric that brooks no argument.  It is either true or false.  Almost sacks are a judgement call.

Well their counting a pressure/hurry/effecting the throw is ill defined. Sometimes I see one guy talk about the time, anther talks about distance, and a third will talk about hitting. But even then it's somewhat objective since for some QB's a half second is a huge difference, while for others 2 yards of space is needed, and some guys just aren't impacted by getting hit.

But that's why I liked this article. I can almost remember it clearly where they were breaking down plays where both Watt and Garrett were rushing off the RT. In Garretts case the defense was playing cover-2 straight up, Garrett got through, caused the QB to side step to his left, snapped off a throw, and completed it to the seam TE. In the end that's great of getting a pressure but it didn't really create anything. Then they showed Watt's play. Almost the same thing, only difference in the cover-2 was that Highsmith dropped off the line as the "Will" vs JOK already lining up there. When Watt got the same pressure, got the QB to take the step to the left, we had the TE covered in the seam which put the QB on his safety valve of the SWR (IIRC), which Highsmith stepped in front of and made the play. 

The article had a few other examples but it was a good example to me as to why just blindly looking at a stat like that matters. If QB's are still completing passes and drives are still going into a potential scoring position when you get pressures, what good was it?

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

LOL Gary and Mack aren't even top 5 pass rushers.

Just listen to the athletic podcast. the topic of DPOY award came up. They mentioned how the same guys are always talked about for that award. Funny, TJ was the first one they mentioned this time.. lol. They talked about what some underrated Pass rushers might have to do to win that award and it was get 14-15 sacks 4-5 FF etc...a Basic Watt season..what I found revealing in that discussion...no one mentioned analytic stats that need to be reached like pass/rush win rate...

Edited by August4th

18 minutes ago, August4th said:

Just listen to the athletic podcast. the topic of DPOY award came up. They mentioned how the same guys are always talked about for that award. Funny, TJ was the first one they mentioned this time.. lol. They talked about what some underrated Pass rushers might have to do to win that award and it was get 14-15 sacks 4-5 FF etc...a Basic Watt season..what I found revealing in that discussion...no one mentioned analytic stats that need to be reached like pass/rush win rate...

Yea, that was a good one. The Ringers article almost all of them said "TJ Watt is the boring pick since he's so good, but Garrett changes the game and Parsons deserves his turn to be recognized". I'm sorry but "his turn" is a bad reason to give someone an award and it's what creates an uphill battle for a player.

• Like 2

I wonder how much of Garrett in particular last year was confirmation bias or similar. A lot of the media voting are also likely the ones that projected Garrett as the best player in the draft. For Watt to come out of the same draft (and many naming Watt as a sort of nepotism case) and outshine Garrett so consistently makes them look bad.

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I wonder how much of Garrett in particular last year was confirmation bias or similar. A lot of the media voting are also likely the ones that projected Garrett as the best player in the draft. For Watt to come out of the same draft (and many naming Watt as a sort of nepotism case) and outshine Garrett so consistently makes them look bad.

ohh...I think that has a lot to do with it.The media so badly wants this guy to be at the level of a JJ watt, Donald, Reggie White, LT, Deacon Jones  etc.. when reality he's closer to a Terrell Suggs, Jared Allen, James Harrison level..which is still great...but not generational...meanwhile TJ is the one breaking records..but seems to go unnoticed in that regard

Watt is the only player to lead the NFL in sacks 3x. That never gets mentioned. I bet that would get mentioned everywhere if Garrett did it tho I don't think I'm being a steelers homer for thinking it either lol

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

ohh...I think that has a lot to do with it.The media so badly wants this guy to be at the level of a JJ watt, Donald, Reggie White, LT, Deacon Jones  etc.. when reality he's closer to a Terrell Suggs, Jared Allen, James Harrison level..which is still great...but not generational...meanwhile TJ is the one breaking records..but seems to go unnoticed in that regard

What blows my mind is JJ Watt, his own freaking brother, was paraded around as this NFL superhero and face of the league. Not that JJ didn’t deserve that attention, I just don’t understand why TJ doesn’t get it when he’s just as good of a player as his brother. 

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Garrett was a "his Turn" DPOY There was no measurable stat that he was better than Watt.

lets see if it's watsons turn to be comeback player or win SB etc.... league is getting really out there  so may as well

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Garrett was a "his Turn" DPOY There was no measurable stat that he was better than Watt.

he had a nice season on a top tier defence, but I too thought TJ wins  but these voters are different than us it seems.  Neither got a SB so does it really matter?  

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

What blows my mind is JJ Watt, his own freaking brother, was paraded around as this NFL superhero and face of the league. Not that JJ didn’t deserve that attention, I just don’t understand why TJ doesn’t get it when he’s just as good of a player as his brother. 

I have thought this, is he as good at JJ? It might be up for debate, I'm not one to decide, but JJ was quite a player .  Too bad injuries and being on a bad team was a problem, JJ was a beast even in his last season.  Donald and JJ, best defenders in the last 20 years, agree?