2022 GDT Da Steelers 2-4 Visit the Miami Dolphins 3-3

Steeler Hitman

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Also throwing to DJ is another problem.  DJ made no effort to break up the INT.

I thought this as well, poor effort on johnsons part but at that point I had given up too. There are many issues on this team, and diva WR is a tradition . 

I would prefer they trade johnson instead of Claypool but neither should be WR1, thats for Pickens. 

Trade johnson and Harris

Many fans scoffed so hard when I said we should trade DJ and that I would never pay him anything close to the $20m per season that was being rumored.    Too often, fans want to lean on hype and potential when that all it is and in many cases, all it will ever be.     I wanted to believe DJ would pull it all together too, but no, this is what he is....a merely decent WR who SHOULD be better than what he is and will occasionally trick you into believing he is, but in reality, is missing a bunch of pieces to his game that separates the great WRs from the JAG WRs.   

And Claypool is in the same boat.

Our best WR is a rookie, whose top assets are being severely underutilized due to numerous factors.    If we had at least the 2018 version of Ben, our OL, and a different offensive coordinator, Pickens would be easily en route to being the OROY.

• Like 3

DJ is E. sanders 2.0. I hope Austin shows something next yr, so we can move on from claypool and johnson. Pickens, Austin and future draft pick could be our WR core starting the 2025 season. I like the wow factor pool and DJ bring sometimes, but their inconsistency/warts are getting old

19 minutes ago, August4th said:

also since we're no longer in cap hell and seeing this wave of good number 2 WRs. I could see us signing a Higgins, Gabe Davis, Brandon Aiyuk type guy as a splash FA signing to pair with pickens in a few yrs. new FO might do something like that.

My only pushback on that is why throw a bunch of money at a FA WR when we are notorious for being the best in the league at finding them in the draft.

Would love Aiyuk though, I think he’s good enough to be a WR1.

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

My only pushback on that is why throw a bunch of money at a FA WR when we are notorious for being the best in the league at finding them in the draft.

Aiyuk would be good, but be sure to trade johnson. Pickens and Aiyuk are a start IMO.  Fire Canada

Next Gen stat of the game: Four dropped interceptions is the most by any team this season and the most by Pittsburgh in a game during the Pro Football Focus era, which began in 2006.

NFL Research: Kenny Pickett has now thrown seven interceptions in his first four career games. The only other rookie quarterback to throw five-plus picks in his first four career games for the Steelers was Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, who went on to win four Super Bowls with the franchise.

Edited by 3rivers

29 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Because this group needs a leader. The old QB who can take him under their wing and teach them the right ways is no longer there. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Because this group needs a leader. The old QB who can take him under their wing and teach them the right ways is no longer there. 

and learning from johnson might not be good, and with clay pool calling out scheme, that doesn't help either despite the fact he has a point. They need old pros that know how to conduct themselves on and off the field.

I don't know about tomlin though. If canada is still here next year, it might take a punch to the head  from the DC to get canada off the sidelines 😆

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Until the Steelers change their passing system, I would not waste money on FA WR.  Collinsworth said it last night, the Steeler system TOTALLY relies on the receivers getting open.  There is no nambi-pambi scheming  a Wr open with motions and routes.  If the Receivers are not receiver enough to get open on their own, then the QB must throw the ball into a tight window where only not open Wr can catch it.

Aiyuk would be coming from one of those offenses that run schemes for their receivers.  he would be so overwhelmed wit the responsibility of getting open he would ask for a trade within a year.

/s  

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would not waste money on FA WR

Agree. I don't want to spend draft capital or big FA dollars on this position. It's gotten too much high end asset love and it's part of the reason our roster is the way it is. Though, I do want to sign a mid-level veteran who can run that room as a leader. And it's funny, because based on the FA list the one guy I keep coming back to is....

JuJu. 

27 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If the Receivers are not receiver enough to get open on their own

Yup. It's exactly what we ran with Ben. These are the routes, pick your matchup, hope they win. It's why DJ gets targeted so much. 

They need to find more creative ways to get George Pickens the ball. He does not get open on his own yet. But it's pretty clear Canada doesn't have that in his bag. I really hope it's put up or shut up time for him at Philly as we head into the bye. 

There's no magic pill, but at least Sullivan spent 16 years in the NFL before coming to Pittsburgh. He should have a more advanced understanding of the leagues passing game. 

• Like 2

Did some basic charting during my first half rewatch for personnel groups:

With Gentry on the field in early downs: 6/8 plays were a run

With Derek Watt on the field in early downs: 5/5 plays were a run

5/5 of the Derek Watt plays also included Zach Gentry at TE in 2 wide sets. 

With Freiermuth on the field on first down: 2/2 plays were a pass

Maybe Canada doesn't think teams do this? 

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Until the Steelers change their passing system, I would not waste money on FA WR.  Collinsworth said it last night, the Steeler system TOTALLY relies on the receivers getting open.  There is no nambi-pambi scheming  a Wr open with motions and routes.  If the Receivers are not receiver enough to get open on their own, then the QB must throw the ball into a tight window where only not open Wr can catch it.

Aiyuk would be coming from one of those offenses that run schemes for their receivers.  he would be so overwhelmed wit the responsibility of getting open he would ask for a trade within a year.

/s  

I dunno man, your missing the east to see which is our offense needs to be simplified. 
/s