Week 8 GDT: Texans vs Titans

lumberjackchris

25 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

64 yards of offense. Pep is not coming back next year. 

This is Caserio’s fault as much as it is Pep’s. The offense is devoid of talent outside of Pierce and he is the reason for that. Even a great play caller would have a hard time moving the ball with this group of personnel.

28 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

This is Caserio’s fault as much as it is Pep’s. The offense is devoid of talent outside of Pierce and he is the reason for that. Even a great play caller would have a hard time moving the ball with this group of personnel.

My question is this - given the resources available (not much cap, extra picks in the 1/3 round) how do you find talent? 

If we look at it in a vacuum, Caserio found a 1b style WR in Collins, a move TE in Jordan, an overpowering LG in Green and the aforementioned Pierce. He couldn’t anticipate Metchie missing the year due to cancer, and he couldn’t have anticipated this steep a decline from Mills (which is the real reason for the offensive woes). I’ve never been a Mills fan - as you guys know - but even I’m surprised how much he’s regressed.

What other talent could he have brought in to improve the situation? Baker Mayfield? Kenny Pickett or Mitch Trubisky? Juju Smith-Schuster? Christian Kirk? Because those were your options out there.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My question is this - given the resources available (not much cap, extra picks in the 1/3 round) how do you find talent? 

If we look at it in a vacuum, Caserio found a 1b style WR in Collins, a move TE in Jordan, an overpowering LG in Green and the aforementioned Pierce. He couldn’t anticipate Metchie missing the year due to cancer, and he couldn’t have anticipated this steep a decline from Mills (which is the real reason for the offensive woes). I’ve never been a Mills fan - as you guys know - but even I’m surprised how much he’s regressed.

What other talent could he have brought in to improve the situation? Baker Mayfield? Kenny Pickett or Mitch Trubisky? Juju Smith-Schuster? Christian Kirk? Because those were your options out there.

A lot of the issue is that Mills has regressed a ton, but also Caserio hamstrung himself by making dumb moves that wasted cap space that then has limited themselves in being able to bring in talent in free agency. Add in the fact that he continued to employ Easterby who was basically a repellent for a lot of people and that means that the Texans have added 0 offensive playmakers in free agency over his tenure. Anyone with two eyes could also see heading into the season that Burkhead had no business getting meaningful touches yet he didn’t go out to get a new RB2. Caserio was dealt a really bad hand, but that’s no excuse for some of the things he has done to get the Texans to this point.

EDIT: This also isn’t to say that I think Caserio should be fired, I just don’t think the coaches should be blamed more so than the guy who hired them and also gave them this talent.

Edited by Marco79

13 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

A lot of the issue is that Mills has regressed a ton, but also Caserio hamstrung himself by making dumb moves that wasted cap space that then has limited themselves in being able to bring in talent in free agency. Add in the fact that he continued to employ Easterby who was basically a repellent for a lot of people and that means that the Texans have added 0 offensive playmakers in free agency over his tenure. Anyone with two eyes could also see heading into the season that Burkhead had no business getting meaningful touches yet he didn’t go out to get a new RB2. Caserio was dealt a really bad hand, but that’s no excuse for some of the things he has done to get the Texans to this point.

EDIT: This also isn’t to say that I think Caserio should be fired, I just don’t think the coaches should be blamed more so than the guy who hired them and also gave them this talent.

I also don’t think Caserio has had full control until now with Easterby out of Cals ear and out of the picture. That’s why I think Nick will clean house per say and bring in his HC, to go along with 2 top 10 draft picks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

What a waste of a golden opportunity. How do you not give it to Pierce once when you have the ball at the 11 like that?

THIS right here is why Pep should be fired tomorrow. Defense gifted you a spot at the 10ish, and your first play is a HB pass with Rex Burkhead!?

No No No GIF

Pep should have been fired immediately after that play. Literally any of us could have dialed up a much better play in that situation.

5 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I also don’t think Caserio has had full control until now with Easterby out of Cals ear and out of the picture. That’s why I think Nick will clean house per say and bring in his HC, to go along with 2 top 10 draft picks 

It’d be pretty ridiculous for a GM to be able to hire a 3rd head coach in as many years. At the point, something has got to give and Caserio needs to go too.

It’s also going to be a media nightmare if they fire Lovie. Having another black coach only be given 1 year while the GM who hired both stays is going to be brutal.

50 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

A lot of the issue is that Mills has regressed a ton, but also Caserio hamstrung himself by making dumb moves that wasted cap space that then has limited themselves in being able to bring in talent in free agency.

The only real move I see that *really* hamstrung the team was restructuring Zach Cunningham to free up cap space, only to release him a few months later. I don’t disagree there was a lot of minor hamstringing that adds up, but even if there was a significant amount of cap space - what FA out there is making a positive contribution to this team?

Really, think about it. What FA should have been targeted? Allen Robinson, who has been invisible with Matt Stafford? Russell Gage, who really hasn’t done a thing in Tampa? Leonard Fournette, who was following Tom Brady wherever he went? Evan Engram, who is on par with our own new addition, OJ Howard? Full disclosure, the QBs available in this cycle started and ended with Trubisky, who is worse than Mills. The entire FA class was rather underwhelming.

I only realistically see a few names that could have stepped in and improved this offense - G Laken Tomlinson or Brandon Scheriff (who could have left that 15th pick to someone other than Kenyon Green) and maybe Rashad Penny as the #2 RB (or the #1 RB until he gets injured).

Add in the fact that he continued to employ Easterby who was basically a repellent for a lot of people and that means that the Texans have added 0 offensive playmakers in free agency over his tenure.

I don’t think it was Caserio’s decision keep Jack in the building; Remember, Jack hired Nick - not the other way around. Any decision to keep or fire Easterby had to come from the McNair group, not Caserio.

Anyone with two eyes could also see heading into the season that Burkhead had no business getting meaningful touches yet he didn’t go out to get a new RB2. 

Remember - the expectation was that Marlon Mack was going to be that RB1/2. Nobody figured Mack was this toasted.

I think there is some truth to this - Caserio has been bargain bin shopping and the meal is only as good as the ingredients bought at the market - but I still look at very questionable play calling and a QB who took several steps backwards as a huge reason as to why this team is what it is.

• Like 1

The team got booed a few times today lol. The worst was that punt in the 4th

hard to say I should be mad at what I’m seeing though. Our WRs are Cooks (MIA) and Dorsett. Maybe the team would look different if Nico and Metchie were out there but coaches can’t control that

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

It’d be pretty ridiculous for a GM to be able to hire a 3rd head coach in as many years. At the point, something has got to give and Caserio needs to go too.

It’s also going to be a media nightmare if they fire Lovie. Having another black coach only be given 1 year while the GM who hired both stays is going to be brutal.

Which is why you don’t fire him - you promote him to “Special Advisor” (the Romeo role) with a concession that his son (LB coach Miles Smith) will be up for DC with the next regime.

Keep him involved - maybe even give him some that “culture building” responsibility that Easterby was supposed to be in charge of while he was here. Unlike Easterby, Lovie has a track record and rapport that can create an atmosphere of trust and hard work. 

That way, you don’t have to fire anyone that will create headlines - firing Pep is foregone given the course of this offense (I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he was fired this week). But you’ll save optics by giving Lovie a bigger title and more money in a different role.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The only real move I see that *really* hamstrung the team was restructuring Zach Cunningham to free up cap space, only to release him a few months later. I don’t disagree there was a lot of minor hamstringing that adds up, but even if there was a significant amount of cap space - what FA out there is making a positive contribution to this team?

Really, think about it. What FA should have been targeted? Allen Robinson, who has been invisible with Matt Stafford? Russell Gage, who really hasn’t done a thing in Tampa? Leonard Fournette, who was following Tom Brady wherever he went? Evan Engram, who is on par with our own new addition, OJ Howard? Full disclosure, the QBs available in this cycle started and ended with Trubisky, who is worse than Mills. The entire FA class was rather underwhelming.

I only realistically see a few names that could have stepped in and improved this offense - G Laken Tomlinson or Brandon Scheriff (who could have left that 15th pick to someone other than Kenyon Green) and maybe Rashad Penny as the #2 RB (or the #1 RB until he gets injured).

There’s obviously no one free agent that would have solved the Texans issues but there are definitely people out there would have made them more competitive. Juju would have never come to Houston because he wanted to be on a winning team and Christian Kirk could have been nice but way too expensive. Someone like Zay Jones could have been a good addition. Also, Evan Engram is kind of having a resurgence — he has more yards than anyone on the Texans currently. And if Mack wasn’t who they thought he was going to be, Caserio should have gone out and found another running back. The issue is that the Texans have extremely little cap space to make any of little maneuvers on the margin that might help the team (ie finding a new WR because Metchie was going to miss the season or signing a new RB to pair with Pierce). 

Also, I have no issue with him not getting another QB, riding with Mills is/was the right choice. My issue is with the fact he hasn’t been able to sign any impactful skill position players for the past two offseasons.

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

There’s obviously no one free agent that would have solved the Texans issues but there are definitely people out there would have made them more competitive. Juju would have never come to Houston because he wanted to be on a winning team and Christian Kirk could have been nice but way too expensive. Someone like Zay Jones could have been a good addition. Also, Evan Engram is kind of having a resurgence — he has more yards than anyone on the Texans currently. And if Mack wasn’t who they thought he was going to be, Caserio should have gone out and found another running back. The issue is that the Texans have extremely little cap space to make any of little maneuvers on the margin that might help the team (ie finding a new WR because Metchie was going to miss the season or signing a new RB to pair with Pierce). 

Also, I have no issue with him not getting another QB, riding with Mills is/was the right choice. My issue is with the fact he hasn’t been able to sign any impactful skill position players for the past two offseasons.

That's because we didn't have the ability to, and that wasn't his fault. He walked into the worst situation possible, not talent and no cap. There also haven't been any impactful skill position players. The idea that he could have turned around this franchise in 2 years is a pipe dream that was never going to happen. And he went to get skill players in the draft (Collins, Metchie, Pierce). And blowing even more on players that aren't any good isn't going to make us better. Zay Jones adds nothing to this team and having that salary on the books just hurts us in the future. You're belief about what we could have done is pretty far off of reality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I actually give Caserio none of the blame. He was gifted nothing, absolutely nothing when he took the job. BOB did a number on this team. The #1,2 & 3 goal this year was to see what you had in Davis Mills. It's easily apparent you need a QB in 2023. With a new QB and better talent around him, then you can evaluate Caserio. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That's because we didn't have the ability to, and that wasn't his fault. He walked into the worst situation possible, not talent and no cap. There also haven't been any impactful skill position players. The idea that he could have turned around this franchise in 2 years is a pipe dream that was never going to happen. And he went to get skill players in the draft (Collins, Metchie, Pierce). And blowing even more on players that aren't any good isn't going to make us better. Zay Jones adds nothing to this team and having that salary on the books just hurts us in the future. You're belief about what we could have done is pretty far off of reality.

Let me repeat my first sentence again — There’s obviously no one free agent that would have solved the Texans issues but there are definitely people out there would have made them more competitive and also I acknowledged the fact that he came into a terrible situation. No one was expecting the franchise to be turned around in two seasons given the state it was in, so I don’t know where you got that from, but the team could have been more competitive than it is if Caserio was able to bring in better players as depth, not superstars just depth on the margins. He hasn’t done a good job of doing that on offense to improve the team and because of the lack of draft capital and cap space, a GM in a situation like this needs to be able to do that. 

Again, I don’t think Caserio should be fired, but if all we acknowledge that the Texans aren’t competitive because of the hole they were put in by BoB, why doesn’t that extend to the coaches? And if the coaches are to blame, shouldn’t Caserio be at somewhat of fault because he’s the one that hired them? It’s just this weird logic where Caserio is absolved from any wrongdoing because of the situation he took over, but no one else is given the same leeway.