Lions trade TE T.J. Hockenson to Vikings for 2nd, swap of picks

TheKillerNacho

He doesn't need to be a primary target for the price they paid. And with the salary cap about to boom with the new media deal, locking him in for $15 million will be fine. They might even get him for a little less than that.

For the record, I also don't think he can be a primary target for a super successful offense. But as a co-2nd or 3rd option, he'll be great. I think he can produce at a level similar to Zach Ertz in Philadelphia (outside of 2018), but with someone else there to help keep defenses from keying on him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, bcb1213 said:

Giving up a second round pick for an injury prone TE in an offense their own HC described as having weeks where the position won't be used in the passing game.  A passing game where he's the fourth option when they are using the position nonetheless

do we still think this? 

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

do we still think this? 

I do yes,  he has two games over 50 yards .  That's not an indictment on him, but the salary he's gonna want and to give up a high draft pick, I still wouldn't have done it.  Still a good player when healthy though

• Like 1

Just now, bcb1213 said:

I do yes,  he has two games over 50 yards .  That's not an indictment on him, but the salary he's gonna want and to give up a high draft pick, I still wouldn't have done it.  Still a good player when healthy though

then you are stubborn as a mule. Hockenson on the season is at 78/839/6, while playing 90+% of the snaps while with Minny. His blocking grades have been better too (I think due to more zone blocking as opposed to what they were doing in detroit).

Out of TEs in the league, he's

-2nd in receptions

-2nd in targets

-2nd in yards

-4th in TDs

Your initial argument was that he would at best be the 4th option in this offense. KO has clearly adjusted the scheme to target his best players and they are JJ and then TJ. Going forward, he's the secondary option playing a position where there are potentially very few elite caliber players. 

It's ok to be wrong with takes and opinions, no one is perfect. The Vikings clearly identified him as a player that can grow with JJ and become a formidable duo as Thielen declines. It's happening, you can see from the usage. This was definitely worth the value of a 3rd round pick and I'm sure if he continues to keep playing well, the Vikings will have no problem paying him and keeping him through his prime years.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Out of TEs in the league, he's

-2nd in receptions

-2nd in targets

-2nd in yards

-4th in TDs

This reminds me a lot of a certain someone pimping Dalton “Lightning Bolt” Schultz not too long ago…

• Like 2

Hockenson is a helluva TE. For him to come in halfway through a season and be able to adjust to the playbook as quickly as he has is amazing. Is he Kelce or Kittle or anyone of that top 5 caliber? 

No. 

But he's still a damn good TE and in that 6-10 range in the NFL. He's not a super dynamic guy, but he's a Greg Olsen type guy who will play the role he needs to play in the offense that day. Need short routes? hes there. Need red zone? sure. Need intermediate middle of the field, boom. Just don't call on him to burn a defense deep. But that's why you have Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn

15 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

are the two really comparable? One has elite athleticism, compared to kittle, kelce, and the other one is just a safety net possession guy.

Schultz last year: 6th in targets. 3rd in catches, 6th in yards, 5th in TDs, 3rd in rating, 2nd in catch%..and that’s without injuries to Andrews, Waller, Pitts, Goedert, and Gronk unretired. This is a terrible year for tight ends. 4th and 6th in yards & catches…Pat Freiermuth and Evan Engram. 3rd in TDs is Juwan Johnson. 4th-5th-6th in targets (which is way more indicative of how the offense uses TEs than actual quality of play, tbh) are Tyler Higbee, Evan Engram, and Pat Freiermuth. 

Also, Hock isn’t in the same category as Kittle as an athlete, stop it. Or Kelce for that matter. Elite athleticism is Kyle Pitts, not TJ Hockensen.

He’s a good player, certainly near the top of that second tier of TEs - the ones that aren’t game breaking (like Kelce) but bring quality play to the position and can be spokes in the offense (opposed to just functions in one, like Hurst or Tonyan or Everett or Schultz). The trade was fine, it helps the Vikings. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

are the two really comparable? One has elite athleticism, compared to kittle, kelce, and the other one is just a safety net possession guy.

You must have a very loose definition of “elite athleticism” for Hockenson. He ran a 4.70 40 time. I’d venture to say that there are at least 20 active TE’s in the NFL that ran faster than that. Sure there is more to athleticism than a 40 time, but a pretty good indicator that Hockenson is not an “elite athlete” at the position.

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Maybe my sentence structure wasn't clear.

I agree with you. I was saying Schultz is the safety net, possession guy, and comparing him to Hockenson doesn't make too much sense. 

Meanwhile Hock only has the fourth most receiving yards on the Vikings and Schools has the third must on the high-powered Cowboys. In fact, he's only 50 yards behind being target #2 behind Cedee. If that's not electric I don't know what is. I guess some posters just gotta be haters 🤷

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

You must have a very loose definition of “elite athleticism” for Hockenson. He ran a 4.70 40 time. I’d venture to say that there are at least 20 active TE’s in the NFL that ran faster than that. Sure there is more to athleticism than a 40 time, but a pretty good indicator that Hockenson is not an “elite athlete” at the position.

I have a very clear understanding of athleticism. you seem to have lack of understanding when only using 40 time.

here is the RAS comparing Hock to Kittle

cUBkB9B.jpg

Here is comparing to Kelce

9LjKlwi.jpg

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1