Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Would the GB Packers choose Will Andersen in the first round if still available?

Seems like there are 15 must have type players in the first round and GB has pick  number 15.

That means to me they can have one top graded player if that one is mathematically left for them, but who?

I can see why people enjoy the draft. Very intensive and full of details. How far will Jalen Carter Fall? 

I usually wait until after the draft to look but I wanted to try speculation.  There seems to be zero downside unless gambling real money.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think I like Van Ness as a hand in the dirt DE with Gary rushing off the same edge, right behind him.  I just wonder if Van Ness is consistently stout enough to handle that in the NFL without gaining weight and losing some burst.  

I mean he weighed 272 at the combine, how much do you want him to weigh?

I promise everyone that @Outpost31is gonna love this guy:

Absolute turnover and big play machine. Damn he reminds me so much of Tyrann Mathieu. But what the hell happened at the combine?!? He ain't no 4.65 guy on the field. Must have had Covid or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoon65qxt8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by incognito_man

On 3/12/2023 at 10:32 PM, incognito_man said:

Absolute turnover and big play machine. Damn he reminds me so much of Tyrann Mathieu. But what the hell happened at the combine?!? He ain't no 4.65 guy on the field. Must have had Covid or something.

Two Jaire’s on the same defense? Sold.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I like both Illinois safeties as well.  

Sydney Brown:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMfcAozI_Tg&ab_channel=hyperhighlights

Jartavius Martin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNSu3Ndbvc&ab_channel=BigTenNetwork

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, beekay414 said:

Nah. Different culture once Aaron's out the door. No more walking on eggshells in the locker room and no more "I'm just better than you" type attitude going around that plagued the defense last year. We're about to change the culture and have some DAWGS in that locker room and I know you love you some dawgs.

I do love my Dawgs (great PJ reference!)

But...I stand by my statement, but I'll expand on it.  Our current DC will ruin Nolan Smith's career.  

On 3/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, PackFan13 said:

We need a good TE in the first few rounds to give Love a shot unless we are able to sign a proven vet like Hurst.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:57 PM, Refugee said:

I wouldn’t be mad about a solid safety blanket vet and one of the prospects to develop from this class of TE.  Any rookie will have plenty of growing pains at that position. If we can get a good one that fits this system, we could really use some help there.  

On 3/11/2023 at 1:14 PM, PackFan13 said:

I agree and normally don't want a TE in the first but I'm a u of u alum and would LOVE to have Kincaid. He's older and could have an impact day one.

TE is a very risky position to draft in the first.  Just look at the names and where they were picked.  Then see who had their original team pick up their second contract.  It's a bad hit ratio.

Much better route is to get a TE in free agency.  We've proven over time that we don't draft that position well.    So you might as well pay a good one because you know what you are going to get.

If you really want a safety blanket, look at the end of the roster guys.  Ryan Taylor perhaps.   I have little use for him, but I'll bet he has run and caught thousands of balls from Love already.  Remember that when Aaron came in he loved throwing to that tall, slow WR named Ruvell Martin, because he had a lot of reps with him prior to becoming a starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

TE is a very risky position to draft in the first.  Just look at the names and where they were picked.  Then see who had their original team pick up their second contract.  It's a bad hit ratio.

Much better route is to get a TE in free agency.  We've proven over time that we don't draft that position well.    So you might as well pay a good one because you know what you are going to get.

If you really want a safety blanket, look at the end of the roster guys.  Ryan Taylor perhaps.   I have little use for him, but I'll bet he has run and caught thousands of balls from Love already.  Remember that when Aaron came in he loved throwing to that tall, slow WR named Ruvell Martin, because he had a lot of reps with him prior to becoming a starter.

I’m not a big endorser of taking a TE in the 1st, I just hope we nab one in this very touted class to develop. I agree with many posters, it’s a hard position to scout and develop so a vet would make sense. Very good vets are out of our price range so hope we can find one dependable player for consistency and one to grow into the guy. We’ve been trying but so far in the draft only have come up with Jace and Josiah. Big Dig has been our best acquisition there in decades. Would have been Bobby, but injuries got him off track. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Tell me this guy doesn't remind you of Jordy Nelson.

I'm not sure I see the comparison. I'm biased as a Ute alum I could never be okay taking a BYU player (other than Jamal Williams who was suspended for having a girl in his room because BYU is crazy)

Edited by PackFan13

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I completely agree it's hard to draft but we haven't had a good one in far too long. Let Gute pick his top guy to give Love a safety blanket. Kincaid I believe is better than any current TE we could possibly sign with our cap. Kid doesn't drop the ball and has some wiggle. He and Watson would be such a great red zone duo.

Edited by PackFan13