Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He could absolutely bomb the Combine, and he would have been a top 10 pick.  The tape speaks for itself.  Now, the background check is going to be the real test for him.

I think he's falling because of some of that. I also think him adding 9 pounds in 2 weeks is a major red flag. I've said all along there are two blue chip players in this draft, him and Anderson from Alabama. 

Man would I love for him to take a Warren Saap tumble to 13 where we can grab him. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:59 AM, Old Guy said:

Collins went from a 1st round prospect to undrafted over what turned into a false report. 

FWIW it was not a false report  He was a person of interest in a murder investigation, because the police wanted to talk to him as he knew the victim well.  He was never a suspect, but there was no way for NFL teams to know that at the time since police departments are not in the habit of keeping 3rd parties in the loop when it comes to murder investigations.

Remember when Devin Bush was worth the 10th overall pick a year after Roquan Smith was worth 8th overall and Edmunds 16th overall?

I have this vision in my head where everybody, even stupid people, can see that you don’t draft those positions that high because even if they hit, you can’t build a team by paying the least important positions the most amount of money. It’s not sustainable business practice.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Remember when Devin Bush was worth the 10th overall pick a year after Roquan Smith was worth 8th overall and Edmunds 16th overall?

I have this vision in my head where everybody, even stupid people, can see that you don’t draft those positions that high because even if they hit, you can’t build a team by paying the least important positions the most amount of money. It’s not sustainable business practice.

Do first round tight ends next, please.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No ILB top 10, probably even top 20. No RB in the top 20 unless it's the missing piece as a contender. No TE in the 1st ever.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

This guy is an absolute stud.  But I can't recall many worse end of season to draft periods from a top prospect.  Maybe that real fat OL that took his shirt off for the 40, or Laremy Tunsil, maybe La'el Collins.  

Andre Smith Jr

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

Do first round tight ends next, please.

I already did. People will never get that one.

But since you asked…

Since the year 2000, Tyler Eiffert, Brandon Pettigrew, Mercedes’ Lewis, Vernon Davis, Heath Miller, Ben Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap and Bubba Franks are the only tight ends to make it more than five years with the team that drafted them.

So 10/25 on retention.

Of those 10, I’d say only Miller, Clark and Heap were past the “alright” label considering where they were drafted.

Vernon Davis was absolutely worth 20th overall, but 6th overall? No.

Miller, Clark, Heap were all selected 24th or later.

You can draft whatever position you want after 23rd overall. You can stretch that all the way up to 20th overall if you feel really good about a prospect. But I don’t think there’s a single draft class where there aren’t 19 OT, DL, EDGE, QB, DB, RB or even WR over a tight end.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

No ILB top 10, probably even top 20. No RB in the top 20 unless it's the missing piece as a contender. No TE in the 1st ever.

I’m okay with a TE in the bottom 8 of the first round.

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

But since you asked…

Since the year 2000, Tyler Eiffert, Brandon Pettigrew, Mercedes’ Lewis, Vernon Davis, Heath Miller, Ben Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap and Bubba Franks are the only tight ends to make it more than five years with the team that drafted them.

So 10/25 on retention.

Of those 10, I’d say only Miller, Clark and Heap were past the “alright” label considering where they were drafted.

You can draft whatever position you want after 23rd overall. You can stretch that all the way up to 20th overall if you feel really good about a prospect. But I don’t think there’s a single draft class where there aren’t 19 OT, DL, EDGE, QB, DB, RB or even WR over a tight end.

Some things just need to be stated early and often.

Applause-leonardo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m okay with a TE in the bottom 8 of the first round.

Your 'after pick 23' logic is probably more exact than my criteria but I'm never taking a TE round one.

Now do the draft where we're paying a guy 40m to not play on our team and have lost about 8 pass catchers over the last 12 months and have no money to replace them.

Not saying we're going to take a WR or TE at 15, I'd still bet on LVN or Nolan Smith if my money was on the line. If we do however, it's because we have some massive holes to fill there with absolutely minimal money to do it. All bets are off for me this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we just kept taking athletic defensive players in rd 1, or if we switched things up and tried to fill the holes on our roster. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Now do the draft where we're paying a guy 40m to not play on our team and have lost about 8 pass catchers over the last 12 months and have no money to replace them.

Not saying we're going to take a WR or TE at 15, I'd still bet on LVN or Nolan Smith if my money was on the line. If we do however, it's because we have some massive holes to fill there with absolutely minimal money to do it. All bets are off for me this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we just kept taking athletic defensive players in rd 1, or if we switched things up and tried to fill the holes on our roster. 

We’re completely changing eras. We can afford to have holes.

We’re counting on this season creating another top 16 pick next year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

But since you asked…

So 10/25 on retention.

I think our mileage varies on Jeremy Shockey.  I think he was a very good player, especially early on.  He was an absolute unit.  Injuries did hurt his production, and IIRC, he had concentration drops too.  But he made the Pro Bowl in 4 of his first 5 seasons, and was all-pro and rookie of the year in his first season.   

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We’re completely changing eras. We can afford to have holes.

We’re counting on this season creating another top 16 pick next year.

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think Gute or LaFleur view it that way at all. 

These posts are summed up by reality vs expectations.

• Like 1