Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

10 minutes ago, R T said:

I don't think it is awfully optimistic, there is a good percentage of teams that will have little interest in him and another group that will have a lower grade on him because of scheme fit and usage. There is probably only 8-10 teams that covet him on the level the Packers might and most of those could have players at prime positions that they desire ahead of a TE. 

Yea the extra second round pick is kind of crucial if you dont get a premium in round 1 and want to go te in round two. For us that is an edge. 

We also have to be comfortable with one of the third round + receivers, which for me are tillman and mingo.

On the other hand if we go nolan smith in round 1, which i dont like, i hope we get a round two dlineman. I just dont see smith being effective in the big leagues unless he is kept clean. In the right system he might be a 15 *** guy with some coverage ability

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Trust me, just once I'd like to see the WR pick. One day we'll get it, just best to tell yourself it's not happening and be surprised. 

If lovin' on JSN is wrong, then I want to be WRIGHT!

• Like 2

In regards to Washington, we have a perfect fit for him in the current offense.  So he is valuable to us.  He projects to be a Marcedes Lewis or Bubba Franks type of TE.  People forget that Bubba was a hell of a blocker, and just as big as Marcedes.  Both Franks and Lewis were first round selections as well.  If we project Washington to have a similar career to these two, where would you value him? 

I see both Lewis, and Franks as pieces you absolutely take on your football team.  At the same time, they were most likely overdrafted.  Franks was 57th in pfr's DrAV for players drafted in 2000* and was selected 14th.  Lewis was 58th for players drafted in 2006 (for the Jaguars) and was selected 28th.  Once again, AV is not the end-all-be-all of analysis, but it is probably a more objective measure than me just arbitrarily ranking all of these guys from 15-20 years ago.  So making the assumption that Washington will be a Lewis or Franks, you are probably looking at about the 50-60th best player in the draft.  Do you want to take that guy at 15? 45? I think I would be fine with it at 45.  It seems like a bit of a reach for any of these guys in the first though.

*as an aside, the Packers really cleaned up in the 2000 draft.  Chad Clifton (4), Mark Tauscher (9), KGB (17) and Na'il Diggs (27) all returned "first round" value.  And Franks was 57th, making him a "second round" value.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Washington seems like a guy who some teams (like GB) will value highly, while other teams would have him late day 2.

Edit: I guess you could say that about a lot of guys, but he seems like an extreme case based on scheme fit.

I like the intangibles that Washington brings......so long as he's not such a scheme fit that he totally disappears in the passing game aka Lewis.

We need a pass catching TE in our offense and not another OT.....so long as MLF and Company are intent on actually using the TE in that way - fine. He'll be a beast to cover. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I like the intangibles that Washington brings......so long as he's not such a scheme fit that he totally disappears in the passing game aka Lewis.

We need a pass catching TE in our offense and not another OT.....so long as MLF and Company are intent on actually using the TE in that way - fine. He'll be a beast to cover. 

That's the thing about Washington, he plays the Marcedes role.  Sure, a 20 something Washington is more spry than almost 40 Lewis, but he is probably never going to be mistaken for Antonio Gates.  You are looking at a guy that will become a great blocker in a season or two, and probably be a good first down machine, and hopefully a redzone target.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Washington is a bit stiff but he is a pretty good pass catcher. Good hand placement, adjusts to the ball well, insane reach. Much better top speed than lewis at this point. 

His body control in the blocking game, when the ball is in the air, and when the ball is in his hands are all a function of pretty good athleticism... especially for a guy his size

• Like 1

It feels like Brian Bresee is being slept on a bit. I think he's in the conversation at 15. 

Elite athlete and HS recruit. Had his Sophomore and Junior seasons kinda spiral due to ACL injury/rehab and also the diagnosis and death of his younger sister to cancer. 

He's young, was productive when healthy. Had a very young break-out age.

The #1 thing that caught my eye was his matchup against Darnell Wright. He's the only guy I saw consistently win vs Wright. 

Bresee has a lot of things you can't teach, but is a flawed prospect. Will be curious to see where he goes. If you get good vibes from Brian Bresee the man, he's worth a top 15 pick easily.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It feels like Brian Bresee is being slept on a bit. I think he's in the conversation at 15. 

Elite athlete and HS recruit. Had his Sophomore and Junior seasons kinda spiral due to ACL injury/rehab and also the diagnosis and death of his younger sister to cancer. 

He's young, was productive when healthy. Had a very young break-out age.

The #1 thing that caught my eye was his matchup against Darnell Wright. He's the only guy I saw consistently win vs Wright. 

Bresee has a lot of things you can't teach, but is a flawed prospect. Will be curious to see where he goes. If you get good vibes from Brian Bresee the man, he's worth a top 15 pick easily.

I heard him give an interview on Sirius XM.  He sounds very educated and is well spoken.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Speaking of tight ends, Brenton Strange will be a day 3 target for us. 

Honestly, despite the huge need at the position, I would be perfectly fine waiting until the 3rd-5th rounds to address TE and then I'd probably double down. A pairing of like Schoonmaker and Strange would be perfect and probably not that much different at the end of the day versus getting a Washington-LaPorta combo. There's just not enough difference there to take a TE too early. 

I'm actually starting to feel the same way about EDGE too. A lot of good players on Day 2 that probably won't end up being much different than the mid-round Day 1 guys. 

From a value standpoint, I think you really need to try to get either JSN or one of the top 3 OTs if you want to maximize the value of your No. 15 (or 13) pick. There are much bigger drop-offs there versus EDGE and TE.