Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I wouldn't expect it. Iowa TEs don't fall to day 3 very often. Kittle did but that proved to be a massive mistake. Of their draft viable #1 TEs since Dallas Clark, the only ones that made it to day 3 were Kittle (and that's partly because Iowa never threw him the damn ball), Scott Chandler and Brandon Myers. LaPorta is a 4 year highly productive starter in that offense. I'd put him anywhere from the 2nd round to mid-3rd round.

Kittle never made sense to me. Guy looked like a gem all the way.

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Kittle never made sense to me. Guy looked like a gem all the way.

Production got him. His two years as a starter, he put up 20/290/6 and 22/314/4. He's the reason why teams aren't going to overlook Luke Musgrave due to his similar production in a run heavy offense.

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Again, I ask:  What is the difference?

Jace Amaro:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0GMR0Y3m0

Jace Sternberger:  https://youtu.be/YnWZe7LVKY0

Dalton Kincaid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxWz1GhHhQg

Its all a fine line of is the blocking good enough, the route running-finding your zones savvy enough, and the hands being automatic. You get all 3 and i think thats a TE thats worth it all day. You miss on one and thats a guy thats bouncing around the league for 10 years as a role guy. Miss on 2 and theres no place for you.

Edited by HighCalebR

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Production got him. His two years as a starter, he put up 20/290/6 and 22/314/4. He's the reason why teams aren't going to overlook Luke Musgrave due to his similar production in a run heavy offense.

I hear ya there, but combined with the blocking prowess i think the projection wasna far simpler one... But i hear ya.

Just tootin my own horn a bit here, just thought he was a guy that year.

Edited by HighCalebR

Just now, HighCalebR said:

I hear ya there, but combined with the blocking prowess i think the projection wasna far simpler one... But i hear ya.

TE is weird sometimes. Kittle tested off the charts IIRC but it could've been that guys like Tony Moeaki, Scott Chandler and CJ Fiedorowicz didn't live up to their draft slots from the same system.

But with the last three Iowa TEs picked being Kittle, Hockenson and Fant, there's no reason to think Laporta suffers from the same trend that Kittle did.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Again, I ask:  What is the difference?

Jace Amaro:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0GMR0Y3m0

Jace Sternberger:  https://youtu.be/YnWZe7LVKY0

Dalton Kincaid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxWz1GhHhQg

Sternberger didn't fail because of his football ability. He failed mentally. Can't get that type of read on highlights.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Okay, we're going to attempt to do this again...this time, I'll try another way. I'll do the first TE taken in the 4th round the last, we'll go decade, since you wanna keep going further and further back and not take into account that this is a significantly stronger TE class than is the norm.

2022 - Cade Otton
2021 - John Bates
2020 - Harrison Bryant
2019 - Trevon Wesco
2018 - Ian Thomas
2017 - Michael Roberts
2016 - Tyler Higbee
2015 - Blake Bell
2014 - Arthur Lynch (5th Round)
2013 - Dion Sims

Now, tell me, how many of those guys, as prospects, match up with Sam LaPorta? Maybe Tyler Higbee? Now take into account the program that LaPorta comes from compared to Higbee.

And, again, Sam LaPorta could be as high as 4th in the class. He's got helium, he's a 4 year starter at a program that puts out NFL TEs like it's their job, and he tested really well. His absolute floor is San Francisco with the comp picks but my guess is he's gone well before that. 

Higbee probably shouldn't be used in the sample because he assaulted a guy 18 days before the draft and it killed his draft value, he was a 2nd-3rd round player before the arrest. 

Report: 2016 NFL Draft prospect TE Tyler Higbee arrested Sunday (usatoday.com)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R T said:

Higbee probably shouldn't be used in the sample because he assaulted a guy 18 days before the draft and it killed his draft value, he was a 2nd-3rd round player before the arrest. 

Report: 2016 NFL Draft prospect TE Tyler Higbee arrested Sunday (usatoday.com)

That's right, I forgot about that! So that sample takes a significant hit. He fell in the same way that La'el Collins fell ha.

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Okay, we're going to attempt to do this again...this time, I'll try another way. I'll do the first TE taken in the 4th round the last, we'll go decade, since you wanna keep going further and further back and not take into account that this is a significantly stronger TE class than is the norm.

2022 - Cade Otton
2021 - John Bates
2020 - Harrison Bryant
2019 - Trevon Wesco
2018 - Ian Thomas
2017 - Michael Roberts
2016 - Tyler Higbee
2015 - Blake Bell
2014 - Arthur Lynch (5th Round)
2013 - Dion Sims

Now, tell me, how many of those guys, as prospects, match up with Sam LaPorta? Maybe Tyler Higbee? Now take into account the program that LaPorta comes from compared to Higbee.

And, again, Sam LaPorta could be as high as 4th in the class. He's got helium, he's a 4 year starter at a program that puts out NFL TEs like it's their job, and he tested really well. His absolute floor is San Francisco with the comp picks but my guess is he's gone well before that. 

i like la porta and agree he is number 4. iowa is a great program. i'm just saying maybe a team likes those other guys enough.  if 6 tight ends go in the top 3 rounds you can give me an 'i told u so'

Edited by HokieHigh

Just now, HokieHigh said:

i like la porta and agree he is number 4. iowa is a great program. i'm just saying maybe a team likes those other guys enough.  if 7 tight ends go in the top 3 rounds you can give me an 'i told u so'

So it's 7 now? What happened to 6?

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So it's 7 now? What happened to 6?

i edited it before u quoted. i don't see 6 tight ends being taken, but i think it is possible he is #7 on someones big board.

Edited by HokieHigh

3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i edited it before u quoted. i don't see 6 tight ends being taken, but i think it is possible he is #7 on someones big board.

Kraft is much more likely to be left out than Laporta, if 6 is the number you're focused on. Hell, Laporta may be high on our own board at 45.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Kraft is much more likely to be left out than Laporta, if 6 is the numbers you're focused on. Hell, Laporta may be high on our own board at 45.

ya i would be fine with la porta at 45. the OP was mostly tongue in cheek because i don't want kincaid in 1.

i've never watched kraft i can't comment about that.

Edited by HokieHigh