Raiders release Jonathan Abram

NYRaider

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think people call it a culture- fans, media, ect. But I sorta wonder if they're misidentifying what exactly "it" is.

That's the thing that I think has plagued their former assistant coaches the most. They all take head coaching positions and want to instill the things they've learned in New England but they lack the credibility to get a team to buy into it because they've never led teams as head coaches to winning seasons or championships. I personally think, based on what I've been told, that we've actually instilled somewhat of the Anti-Patriots way in terms of the culture where it's just too laid back.

Can someone please explain the Patriots way. Because its changes all the time. They don't spend on FAs, until they do, they draft there players but that hasn't been working either, next man up or do your job every team say that.

It seems to me that New England does what ever they want

Edited by Bitty 2.0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Even though our defense wasn't the most talented or the best statistically, Gus did a good job of getting his guys in there. 

Carr needed to be paired with an alpha dog leader at HC like JDR, Rich, or Gruden.

People overrate Bradley's defense because Paul Guenther was historically awful, but Bradley's defense was terrible. They gave up 26 PPG. and a league worst 77% (TDs only) in the red zone. 

While you can contrast a lot of variables. Currently they are giving up 25 PPG and 74% in the red zone. There is little change statistically in the most important statistic with half the season to go.

Tells me regardless of scheme, they need to have better talent to execute it.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

People overrate Bradley's defense because Paul Guenther was historically awful, but Bradley's defense was terrible. They gave up 26 PPG. and a league worst 77% (TDs only) in the red zone. 

While you can contrast a lot of variables. Currently they are giving up 25 PPG and 74% in the red zone. There is little change statistically in the most important statistic with half the season to go.

Tells me regardless of scheme, they need to have better talent to execute it.

IIRC, I may be wrong, but I heard something about us allowing our opponent to score on 100% of their red zone trips so far this season. 

Yeah we have basically nothing on the DL outside of Crosby and haven't had a DB with ball skills since Reggie Nelson.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We knew what was going on with that the team was gutted day 1 minus carr. We knew it was 2-3 year rebuild. They just whiffed on picks.

this time around no gutting just adding more bad contracts. Not to mention jmd has a playbook that requires even arguably the most cerebral qb and wr prolly 2 years to master. 

imo mark tricked players/fans to sell tickets. After getting in the playoffs the organization was at a all time high. He had to capitalize. Bringing in big names created bigger expectations for fans and players. And fans responded accordingly. Mark has a chip now anyways imo that eased his urgency. *tin foil hat chronicles*

Outside Jones who is a former all-pro and father time has caught up with, you can't argue other players did not earn their extensions. It was a good look for a regime to come in and take care of their own showing commitment to them. The other bargain FA signings are what they are.

The issues on offense and why those contracts are not paying off is due to a poor Oline. Hard to execute an offense when the Oline is struggling. Now, we can say... well they should have addressed it in FA (though look at what Cincy spent and the meager results) and there is some merit to that. But they could not anticipate Good retiring, Parker having a season ending injury and Leatherwood flaming out in preseason. Hard to rebuild that on the fly.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

That's my biggest concern with the new regime, it's difficult to sit back and just "trust their vision" when they've already made a bunch of bad moves that will create limitations on how they can build the roster going forward. I do wonder why Carr has had issues learning the system though when Mac was able to have success with less talent around him as a rookie.

I don't think it creates limitations. Offense stays intact and they build the defense up. And I think Carr's issues are protection. We all know he struggles when things breakdown. He's taking pressure >50% of his snaps. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC, I may be wrong, but I heard something about us allowing our opponent to score on 100% of their red zone trips so far this season. 

Yeah we have basically nothing on the DL outside of Crosby and haven't had a DB with ball skills since Reggie Nelson.

I think it's 100% in goal to go situations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The issues on offense and why those contracts are not paying off is due to a poor Oline. Hard to execute an offense when the Oline is struggling. Now, we can say... well they should have addressed it in FA (though look at what Cincy spent and the meager results) and there is some merit to that. But they could not anticipate Good retiring, Parker having a season ending injury and Leatherwood flaming out in preseason. Hard to rebuild that on the fly.

I don't think it creates limitations. Offense stays intact and they build the defense up. And I think Carr's issues are protection. We all know he struggles when things breakdown. He's taking pressure >50% of his snaps. 

But they made the same mistake as the previous regime of trusting a veteran coming off of a major injury, an unproven overdrafted player, and a career backup/average player to take a step forward as starting caliber players. 

With how our cap is currently allocated and all of the guys that we have going into free agency we're going to have to prioritize quantity instead of quality. 

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Outside Jones who is a former all-pro and father time has caught up with, you can't argue other players did not earn their extensions. It was a good look for a regime to come in and take care of their own showing commitment to them. The other bargain FA signings are what they are.

I can’t imagine we told adams “hey just a heads up this playbook is going to take at least 2 years to learn so we’ll probably be struggling a lot first couple of years are you ok with that”

All the players are talking about urgency like they expected the season built around urgency. 

3 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

That's true, for sure.

But If their ego is so big that they are mad, because of a new HC, then how he should manage that.

I think all of the things we've seen and heard including guys asking to be traded, being late to meetings/practice, and now even publicly making comments about their displeasure with how things are being ran, etc. It's safe to assume that we lack leadership in the locker room and that players aren't buying into the culture that we're currently trying to build. I think it's on Carr though basically just as much as it's on JMD.

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I can’t imagine we told adams “hey just a heads up this playbook is going to take at least 2 years to learn so we’ll probably be struggling a lot first couple of years are you ok with that”

All the players are talking about urgency like they expected the season built around urgency. 

I think another big issue is that JMD built his system and has tried to fit our players into it as opposed to shaping his system around the strengths of our players. I've heard in the media and read on here people talking about how Renfrow's route tree is essentially 100% different then what we asked him to do last year. Hell we really refused to give Jacobs the ball early on and despite how good he has been we're still 30th in rushing attempts this year.