Raiders release Jonathan Abram

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

But don’t they have more talent on offence this year than last? Mac Jones should a year wiser, the rookie RB a year more experienced, they’ve added DeVante Parker, still have Agholor and Jakobi Myers, added Hunter Henry and a 1st round Olineman…….. they look better on paper than last year don't they and yet Mac Jones and the offence looks awful……….

On paper they may look a bit better, sure. 

But a couple of things:

1. I didn't find Mac Jones all that impressive last year anyway. 

2. Parker is meh. I once had high hopes for him, but he's meh. Meyers is alright, but nothing really special. Nelly is Nelly. Love him, but I swear the only time he's ever really looked good was here, ironically. Henry is a JAG at TE. LA had little issue replacing him. They have some name recognition, but not enough to make a very meh QB and the offense work. 

The look pretty meh, that's true. They're also using a long term D guy as OC though and have dealt with injuries. 

Think about that- poor personell and a DC as OC. 

We have at least 6 Pro Bowl or close to caliber types on offense prior to this year (Miller, Waller, Adams, Renfrow, Carr, Jacobs) all decidedly better than what New England does, and we don't look much better and even worse at times than they do with McDaniels. 

Tells me a lot about McDaniels. 

19 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

On paper they may look a bit better, sure. 

But a couple of things:

1. I didn't find Mac Jones all that impressive last year anyway. 

2. Parker is meh. I once had high hopes for him, but he's meh. Meyers is alright, but nothing really special. Nelly is Nelly. Love him, but I swear the only time he's ever really looked good was here, ironically. Henry is a JAG at TE. LA had little issue replacing him. They have some name recognition, but not enough to make a very meh QB and the offense work. 

The look pretty meh, that's true. They're also using a long term D guy as OC though and have dealt with injuries. 

Think about that- poor personell and a DC as OC. 

We have at least 6 Pro Bowl or close to caliber types on offense prior to this year (Miller, Waller, Adams, Renfrow, Carr, Jacobs) all decidedly better than what New England does, and we don't look much better and even worse at times than they do with McDaniels. 

Tells me a lot about McDaniels. 

I can see your point, and I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say. I was and am expecting more, much more from our offence in particular. I can understand the chemistry process and it takes time but by mid season IMO we should be seeing something impressive.I have leniency with our D due to lack of talent. 

However, the inconsistency that confounds me is that, I agree with you about Mac Jones, he’s not a good QB and was carried last year by play calling, the running game and the OC. That Playcalling and OC was Josh McDaniels and so I can’t just ignore that and write that off as it was a magnificent coaching job.

I was a Harbaugh for coach supporter but it would be dishonest of me to just trash McDaniels without giving him a chance as I was really impressed with the Pats offensive coaching last year. I think he’s a talented OC and play designer (though of course HC is much different) and we need to see something in the second half of the season. He needs to answer the questions either way.

Edited by Darbsk

3 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I always liked Abrams physicality and intensity, but he was such a liability covering anyone. I could see him excelling elsewhere if put in the right situation.

Abram makes big hits on occasion but he's not a "physical" player. As bad as he is in pass coverage, he whiffs on tackles all the time. He is a linear player who overruns tackles or whiffs when the ball carrier makes a move. If he can get a straight on a ball carrier or has to slow his feet, he just catches tackles and holds on for 2-3 yards. 

Everyone who says put him at LB, it makes me laugh. He's not physical. Has short arms so can't get off blocks and has zero change of direction. 

Scroll to the 3:00 mark and rejoice for what we no longer have to deal with:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Abram makes big hits on occasion but he's not a "physical" player. As bad as he is in pass coverage, he whiffs on tackles all the time. He is a linear player who overruns tackles or whiffs when the ball carrier makes a move. If he can get a straight on a ball carrier or has to slow his feet, he just catches tackles and holds on for 2-3 yards. 

Everyone who says put him at LB, it makes me laugh. He's not physical. Has short arms so can't get off blocks and has zero change of direction. 

Scroll to the 3:00 mark and rejoice for what we no longer have to deal with:

We definitely agree on this. 

Playing him at LB was a pipe dream. 

He could make the rare splash play coming downfield as an unblocked man from the secondary, but that was about it, and it failed more often than it worked out. 

He's David Ausberry at S, basically. Looks like a million bucks, we all remember the stiff arm out of the century, but he wasn't doing that often and lacked overall talent at virtually everything else. 

• Like 1