Random mock drafts

Louis Friend

I've been playing around with PFN's mock draft simulator and I thought the thread we had last season was so much fun, it would be nice to share our random mock drafts once again. 

My 11/23/22 mock draft:

1. Jalen Carter, DT Georgia- IDL 3T DT who could bolster the middle of our DL. 

1. Trenton Simpson, LB Clemson- Sort of a jack of all trades LB that can move all over the defense but I would start in place of Anzalone. 

2. Jordan Battle, S Alabama- Solid Safety to add to Walker/Joseph.

2. Jarrett Patterson, OG Notre Dame- My top G in the draft. Could start day 1 between Ragnow and Sewell on the right side. 

3. Mekhi Garner, CB LSU- DBU provides another young DB to develop in our secondary and hopefully pair with Okudah. 

5. Chase Brown, RB Illinois- Sturdy RB to add to the group in case Swift is moved. 

6. Brenton Cox Jr., EDGE Florida- Again, another versatile piece that is athletic as all hell. 

6. Rakim Jarrett, WR Maryland- A legit 6 footer to replace either Chark or Reynolds. 

None of the QBs felt right at my picks. Young and Stroud were gone by pick #6. I'm unsure on Hooker until I get more info on his injury and recovery timeline. Could have taken a QB in round 6, but I liked these other guys more. 

Edited by Louis Friend

The Lions would be much improved with a draft like this.  I don't know much about Mekhi Garner other than the fact that has serious length.  Some folks have Trent Simpson as an early second round pick but by the time the draft process is done, he will be slotted right around where our second first-round pick will land.  One developmental QB I read about who seems to be legitimately flying under the radar is Jalen Fowler from North Carolina A&T.  He has good size and surprisingly good mechanics but would definitely need time to adjust to the speed of the NFL.  Nice work.

6) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia - Disruptive interior pass-rusher. Can play 3T or 3-4 End

13) Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia - Pairs up with Okudah to form a dynamic cover duo

44) Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Edge, Kansas State - Solid edge player to pair opposite of Hutchinson. He's going to generate pressures and open up opportunities for Hutch, Carter, McNeil

61) Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State - Elite level run defender who is also solid in coverage. Pairs up with Rodrigo to form a solid interior duo. 

76) Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia - Massive man who is an elite athlete for his size. Road grader as a blocker while still being able to contribute in the pass game. He could be a convert to OT. 

144) Jordan McFadden, OT, Clemson - Developmental OT to eventually replace Decker

169) Keondre Coburn, NT, Texas - Big bodied NT to plug up the middle. Possibly starts on a rotational basis

176) Clayton Tune, QB, Northwestern - Developmental QB/back up behind Goff

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

Did one with a couple trades which I don’t typically do unless it seems semi realistic.  This one probably not so realistic. 

Trade Pick 6 and pick 76 for picks 10, 31 and Philly’s 2024 First.  Unrealistic but would do it in a heartbeat if offered. 

Rd 1 Pick 10 - Kelee Ringo, CB Georgia - we need more CBs and Ringo is a stud. Plug at play at CB. Big, fast and great instincts in both man and zone. 

Traded pick 13 for picks 14 and 80.  Then traded pick 14 for pick 15 and 78.

Rd 1 Pick 15 - Kayshon Boutte, WR LSU - definitely not a need this high but great value.  Having ARSB, Williams and Boutte could be the most deadly WR core in the league, especially if Cinci breaks up their group due to cap issues. 

Rd 1 Pick 31 - Antonio Johnson, S Texas A&M - more S depth and can play the nickel. Not huge but handles blocks well and can be that star type player that can cover and play the run. 

Rd 2 Pick 44 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Edge Kansas St.- Adding depth to the edge is always needed.  Would be a great 3-4 OLB as well if we shift to better utilize Hutch.

Rd 2 Pick 61 - Siaki Ika, DT Baylor - our big plug in the middle to help against the run.  Can be the nose in a 3-4 Nell with Paschal and McNeil next to him. 

Rd 3 Pick 78 - Demarvion Overshown, LB Texas - We all know we need better LB play and this should help a lot.

Rd 3 Pick 80 - Tucker Kraft, TE South Dakota St. - A small school TE that has similar characteristics to Hock.  Good size and blocking ability to go with solid hands. 

Rd 5 Pick 144 - Tanner McKee, QB Stanford - if he is projected to fall this far he likely goes back but in this mock he was there.  Love having a better backup who has potential to overtake Goff.  

Rd 6 Pick 169 - Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse - More depth as we likely will be down a couple of CB’s this offseason. 

Rd 6 Pick 176 - Habakkuk Baldanado, Edge Pittsburgh - More depth on the edge is always helpful.  Especially if we lose a couple to free agency/cuts. 

• Like 1

1) Houston Texans: CJ Stroud, QB

2) Chicago Bears: Will Anderson, Edge

3) Detroit VIA LA Rams **Trade to Carolina for #6 including 2024 1st, pick 40 and other picks (I can't see the trade details)

Carolina selects Bryce Young, QB

6) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

13) Detroit trades to Tampa Bay for #19 and 2024 1st

Tampa Bay selects Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

19) Joey Porter, CB, Penn State

40) Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

43) Jordan Battle, SS, Alabama

61) Siaki Ika, NT, Baylor

74) Demarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

106) Michael Penix JR, QB, Washington

144) Mike Morris, Edge, Michigan

166) Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma

175) Bryce Ford-Wheaton, West Virginia

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

1) Houston Texans: CJ Stroud, QB

2) Chicago Bears: Will Anderson, Edge

3) Detroit VIA LA Rams **Trade to Carolina for #6 including 2024 1st, pick 40 and other picks (I can't see the trade details)

Carolina selects Bryce Young, QB

6) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

13) Detroit trades to Tampa Bay for #19 and 2024 1st

Tampa Bay selects Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

19) Joey Porter, CB, Penn State

40) Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

43) Jordan Battle, SS, Alabama

61) Siaki Ika, NT, Baylor

74) Demarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

106) Michael Penix JR, QB, Washington

144) Mike Morris, Edge, Michigan

166) Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma

175) Bryce Ford-Wheaton, West Virginia

I wish!

30 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I wish!

If the Lions aren't looking to draft their QBOTF out of this class, I don't think the trades are vastly unrealistic. 

Carolina has pieces on defense and wants to make a statement with their Franchise QB. That division is pretty wide open as well - Atlanta doesn't really have "the guy", New Orleans is bouncing around with their QB room while Brady is more than likely going to retire from the Bucs. I can see Tepper being more aggressive in wanting to ensure he gets "his guy" instead of waiting and hoping Young falls past Seattle and hoping Pittsburgh doesn't find a trade back partner. 

Outside of a couple teams in the top 6, there isn't another really QB needy team until 14 (Indianapolis). I can absolutely see Detroit being primed as a trade back partner. If the Bucs feel they have the pieces on the team to compete in the division, adding a young toolsy QB like Richardson might be worth the cost of trading up and getting ahead of the Colts. Atlanta and Seattle (if they didn't take a QB earlier) are also in the mix here. 

11/28/22 PFN mock draft:

#3- Bryce Young, QB- Stroud went #1 in their draft, Will Anderson went #2. I was picking between Young and Carter and QB won out. Bryce is my top rated QB in this draft and I would love to pair him back up with Jamo for the next 6-10 years. 

#12- Joey Porter Jr. CB- Kelee Ringo and Trenton Simpson were off the board. There were two trade offers but I didn't like the value. Porter is a big CB who will pair nicely with Okudah. This is a massive upgrade in talent at the position. 

#42- Jordan Battle, S- I could have drafted three different players here, but I liked the fit better with Battle. Walker/Kerby/Battle is a nice trio. Suddenly our secondary has some pop.

#61- Jarrett Patterson, G- I am in love with this prospect. The more game film I watch the more I love him. He seems to go mid to late second in every mock I've seen. Could the Lions move up a few spots to secure their guy like they did with Jonah Jackson?

#73- DeMarvion Overshown, LB- There were three LBs here on the board to choose from for me as BPA. Overshown, Pappoe and Ivan Pace Jr. All three would be great additions but I like Overshown slightly more at this point. 

#144- Tuli Tuipulotu, DT- I thought of drafting Siaki Ika in the second but went with Jordan Battle. Ika is more of a big bodied mountain guy inside, whereas Tuli will get after QBs. I like the fit and value of Tuli here next to McNeill. He probably goes end of 3rd/early 4th for me, but he was here in the 5th and I called it early like I was Brad Holmes.

#166- Brenton Cox Jr, EDGE- I love this guy's athleticism. He would add depth to our DL. 

#175- Noah Ruggles, K- Secure our kicking game and take the best K in the draft. If the Lions really like a prospect here, I could see them draft that player and then sign an UDFA. But I didn't see anyone pop out as a clear favorite here. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

11/28/22 PFN mock draft:

#3- Bryce Young, QB- Stroud went #1 in their draft, Will Anderson went #2. I was picking between Young and Carter and QB won out. Bryce is my top rated QB in this draft and I would love to pair him back up with Jamo for the next 6-10 years. 

#12- Joey Porter Jr. CB- Kelee Ringo and Trenton Simpson were off the board. There were two trade offers but I didn't like the value. Porter is a big CB who will pair nicely with Okudah. This is a massive upgrade in talent at the position. 

#42- Jordan Battle, S- I could have drafted three different players here, but I liked the fit better with Battle. Walker/Kerby/Battle is a nice trio. Suddenly our secondary has some pop.

#61- Jarrett Patterson, G- I am in love with this prospect. The more game film I watch the more I love him. He seems to go mid to late second in every mock I've seen. Could the Lions move up a few spots to secure their guy like they did with Jonah Jackson?

#73- DeMarvion Overshown, LB- There were three LBs here on the board to choose from for me as BPA. Overshown, Pappoe and Ivan Pace Jr. All three would be great additions but I like Overshown slightly more at this point. 

#144- Tuli Tuipulotu, DT- I thought of drafting Siaki Ika in the second but went with Jordan Battle. Ika is more of a big bodied mountain guy inside, whereas Tuli will get after QBs. I like the fit and value of Tuli here next to McNeill. He probably goes end of 3rd/early 4th for me, but he was here in the 5th and I called it early like I was Brad Holmes.

#166- Brenton Cox Jr, EDGE- I love this guy's athleticism. He would add depth to our DL. 

#175- Noah Ruggles, K- Secure our kicking game and take the best K in the draft. If the Lions really like a prospect here, I could see them draft that player and then sign an UDFA. But I didn't see anyone pop out as a clear favorite here. 

I want to like Bryce Young but his size, or lack of therein, could cause durability problems.

Passed up on both QBs at 4 and traded down three times and ended with this.  Which I would gladly take. 

15. Joey Porter Jr. CB
23. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR (Can you imagine that WR core)
42. Bryan Breese Dt/DE
45. Siaki Ika NT (3-4 base here we come)
61. Jahmyr Gibbs RB (replace Swift)
62. Andre Carter II Edge
166. Luke Musgrave TE
167. Tanner McKee QB
173. Jaylon Jones CB
174. Deshawn Pace LB
177.Jammie Robinson S

Picks:
2024 Atlanta 1st
2024 New England 1st
2024 NY Giants 1st
2024 New England 6th

46 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Passed up on both QBs at 4 and traded down three times and ended with this.  Which I would gladly take. 

15. Joey Porter Jr. CB
42. Bryan Breese Dt/DE
62. Andre Carter II Edge
166. Luke Musgrave TE
167. Tanner McKee QB
173. Jaylon Jones CB
174. Deshawn Pace LB
177.Jammie Robinson S

Picks:
2024 Atlanta 1st
2024 New England 1st
2024 NY Giants 1st
2024 New England 6th

All those firsts next year could be used to move up for Caleb.

I like all your draft picks, but tbh, I'm not as high on Bresee as others. Taking him at 42 is less risk than in the first, but I'm on the fence with him. 

Overall, I really like it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

All those firsts next year could be used to move up for Caleb.

I like all your draft picks, but tbh, I'm not as high on Bresee as others. Taking him at 42 is less risk than in the first, but I'm on the fence with him. 

Overall, I really like it. 

Agreed on Breese.  I dont mind him that far down and it adds another body to the rotation at DT.  I could have went with a LB but I would take the chance on him at that point for sure.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

15. Joey Porter Jr. CB
42. Bryan Breese Dt/DE
62. Andre Carter II Edge
166. Luke Musgrave TE
167. Tanner McKee QB
173. Jaylon Jones CB
174. Deshawn Pace LB
177.Jammie Robinson S

Picks:
2024 Atlanta 1st
2024 New England 1st
2024 NY Giants 1st
2024 New England 6th

I'm hearing from the draft gurus that Porter is more of a zone guy as opposed to a Cam Smith or Christian Gonalez. Given that we seem to be moving away from playing much zone to benefit Okudah, it doesn't make sense to add a guy like Porter who is going to be hurt schematically.