QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

That was my understanding as well.  Very interesting if we can't get this Rodgers deal done.

Would they trade back or just give up the 24' pick? I don't know about signing him straight, but trading for him could potentially cost two 1sts anyway. Why would the Ravens take a 1st and 2nd? Unless they don't want Lamar to play on a franchise tag disgruntled.

Edited by WheatieMan

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

I really don’t want to be a prick……

But!! How the **** do you know what Rodgers will do?!!!? 😂😂

I don't... but the decision to come to NYJ instead of a retirement home that Vegas would be is strictly business. He needs a change of scenery, that's the Brady blueprint. The Farve blueprint is sort of analogous in that Rogers is also a Diva that wants to win, but NY isn't the ideal town for him weather and media wise. One and done. Rivers blueprint, one and done with Indy (late 30s). Manning blueprint? They let him go a bit earlier than they had to when Luck became available. Warner blueprint? Found a nice weather retirement home after a one and done in NY, ala Brady. If it were Vegas, I could see a 2-3 year window. In NY, I don't see it.    

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I hope we can make quick work of this. I just don't see it happening that way. Unless we just have a heck of a pitch to him. Who know what we have planned. Maybe the know they want to bring in Hopkins or something as well, making it a no brainer for Rodgers.

Do you think Rodgers wants a top veteran wide receiver? Wouldn't he be more interested in bringing in guys he knows like Lazard and Cobb?

Aren't Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall selling points? 

It sure is interesting to speculate.

2 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I don't... but the decision to come to NYJ instead of a retirement home that Vegas would be is strictly business. He needs a change of scenery, that's the Brady blueprint. The Farve blueprint sort of analogous in that Rogers is also a Diva that wants to win, but NY isn't the ideal town for him weather and media wise. Rivers blueprint, one and done with Indy (late 30s). Manning blueprint? They let him go a bit earlier than they had to when Luck became available. Warner blueprint? Found a nice weather retirement home after a one and done in NY, ala Brady. If it were Vegas, I could see a 2-3 year window. In NY, I don't see it.    

Rodgers is coming from Green Bay, not Miami! Weather? Aaron Rodgers might be the best bad-weather quarterback in the history of this league. 

Non-issue, as far as I am concerned. No one cares where he goes in the off-season, for weather reasons. He is not alone. But a guy who has made a HOF career of playing in bad weather in Wisconsin is not going to take issue with New York weather, imho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Do you think Rodgers wants a top veteran wide receiver? Wouldn't he be more interested in bringing in guys he knows like Lazard and Cobb?

Aren't Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall selling points? 

It sure is interesting to speculate.

I think if you’re bringing in Rodgers for a 1-3 year window. You’re trying to win a SB. Wilson I 100% think can be a top 10 WR with Rodgers at QB. We can think that as fans. But Rodgers doesn’t look at Wilson and we too 10 WR. There’s optimism for Moore. But facts are he really just doesn’t have the production to be excited about. Once again… not exactly a guy Rodgers is going to be thrilled about. In fact one could argue that if Rodgers wants Cobb… that Moore gets moved to the bench probably in regular sets. I 100% can see Rodgers wanting Lazard. So for sure that’s an option. But make no mistake since Lazard hasn’t had a pay day yet. He won’t be giving a discount. So he won’t be cheap. A lot that happens in our WR room I think is based on what Rodgers wants there.

This is all of course if we get him

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Pretty close to what I want. Issue only being is that after next year is when we have to decide on Wilson's 5th year option. So in your scenario we're picking up his option after this next season when his play to that date wasn't good and doesn't deserve that pay day. Or we're resigning him as a FA after the 2024 season. When if everything goes to plan. He hasn't seen a snap in 2 years really and now we'd be paying him good money?

Is the option fixed or is it a percentage of the cap or something, I forget. If its a fixed amount it probably wont be too high to take the gamble on. The starting QB rate is $30M+ right now(Geno is at $35M per), Darnold's 5YO was $18M I think so if Zach's is lets say $20M+ and the team has seen enough improvement over 2 years then I think they do that and play it from there.

Edited by KingOfNewYork

54 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I think if Baltimore doesn’t match it then a team gets him for their two firsts; this and next year. Good news is Miami can’t negotiate with him as they don’t have two firsts in the next two drafts. 

I think they can still negotiate with Baltimore though. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Is the option fixed or is it a percentage of the cap or something, I forget. If its a fixed amount it probably wont be too high to take the gamble on. The starting QB rate is $30M+ right now(Geno is at $35M per), Darnold's 5YO was $18M I think so if Zach's is lets say $20M+ and the team has seen enough improvement over 2 years then I think they do that and play it from there.

It goes by several things. Position played. Draft spot. Playing time. And accolades. For example I think Bectons 5th year is somewhere around 15mill. And remember that’s with him Not playing these last 2 years. But being he’s a OT and was drafted high. That’s why he is still pricey.

I doubt we pick up Becton’s option bc of injuries. But we can always tag him if he plays great this year. Or even just give him a contract.

With Wilson I’d imagine his 5th year option even with little to no playing time for 2 years would still be pricey. Being he was the 2nd pick and is a QB. I’d imagine it would be north of 20mill. Which you’re right isn’t crazy pricey for a starting QB… but is paying a really high number for a guy that at that point you’re likely only seeing in practice.

For me the smarter move is to draft a QB next year (really don’t want to waste draft capital this year on any guy besides Hooker if he slips). And that guy can sit and learn for a year or more behind Rodgers. And see how Wilson and a 2024 rookie develop and make a decision on Wilson then after year 4 and not picking up his option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Rodgers is a weird dude. I don't think he cares who is on this team. These younger athletes might care but vets don't care as much. They want comfort, that's why Rodgers wanted a washed Cobb over several other options. 

Previous to last year I’d agree. But he looked pretty frustrated with Watson and Doubs last year. Now they were rookies and Wilson and Moore aren’t. So that matters. But I’d think he wants a big bodied guy for himself to throw to. Lazard, Hopkins, Evans, Sutton come to mind. Or maybe he’s even ok with Davis if he restructures. Dude just can’t stay healthy.

36 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I don't... but the decision to come to NYJ instead of a retirement home that Vegas would be is strictly business. He needs a change of scenery, that's the Brady blueprint. The Farve blueprint is sort of analogous in that Rogers is also a Diva that wants to win, but NY isn't the ideal town for him weather and media wise. One and done. Rivers blueprint, one and done with Indy (late 30s). Manning blueprint? They let him go a bit earlier than they had to when Luck became available. Warner blueprint? Found a nice weather retirement home after a one and done in NY, ala Brady. If it were Vegas, I could see a 2-3 year window. In NY, I don't see it.    

Like I said there’s so many ifs buts and maybes. So many people chatting ****e like it’s gospel. You don’t know **** about what he will do. Neither do I! We have no way of knowing what happens.

Just let us enjoy the ******* ride ffs. So sick of other fans telling us what we should feel or other BS. Leave us to it and let us enjoy it for however long if lasts. If it doesn’t work out then so be it. At least we went for it.

This franchise has been so difficult to root for. Some guys like @doumeyerhave watched for 50yrs straight and not faltered, this is an opportunity to win. Something we’ve not had much of. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It goes by several things. Position played. Draft spot. Playing time. And accolades. For example I think Bectons 5th year is somewhere around 15mill. And remember that’s with him Not playing these last 2 years. But being he’s a OT and was drafted high. That’s why he is still pricey.

I doubt we pick up Becton’s option bc of injuries. But we can always tag him if he plays great this year. Or even just give him a contract.

With Wilson I’d imagine his 5th year option even with little to no playing time for 2 years would still be pricey. Being he was the 2nd pick and is a QB. I’d imagine it would be north of 20mill. Which you’re right isn’t crazy pricey for a starting QB… but is paying a really high number for a guy that at that point you’re likely only seeing in practice.

For me the smarter move is to draft a QB next year (really don’t want to waste draft capital this year on any guy besides Hooker if he slips). And that guy can sit and learn for a year or more behind Rodgers. And see how Wilson and a 2024 rookie develop and make a decision on Wilson then after year 4 and not picking up his option.

I think that's fair. Teams have held onto guys for less. Green Bay for example hasn't seem much of Love in games but is comfortable with him going forward, we can hope the Jets have the same faith. It being a 1 year prove it deal is an easier pill to swallow as well. 

49 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think they can still negotiate with Baltimore though. 

Yeah that’s true but again you’d expect Baltimore to trade him out of the AFC of that was the case. If Miami had their two picks they could have done a deal without negotiating with Baltimore. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Previous to last year I’d agree. But he looked pretty frustrated with Watson and Doubs last year. Now they were rookies and Wilson and Moore aren’t. So that matters. But I’d think he wants a big bodied guy for himself to throw to. Lazard, Hopkins, Evans, Sutton come to mind. Or maybe he’s even ok with Davis if he restructures. Dude just can’t stay healthy.

Odell would be a relatively cheap addition. Would save money bringing him in and cutting Corey. He’s fully healthy now too. He was fire when he was at the rams prior to the injury, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Odell would be a relatively cheap addition. Would save money bringing him in and cutting Corey. He’s fully healthy now too. He was fire when he was at the rams prior to the injury, 

OBJ the player I like. OBJ with his distractions… no thank you.