QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the way I see it is if the Jets miss out on Aaron Rodgers, they're probably on the outside looking in with the QB carousel unless you're wanting to spend big money on Jimmy G.

The problem with the Packers eating more of Rodgers' cap hit is that they're already going to have a $40.3M dead cap if they trade him.  And they're around $16M in cap space right now.  That along with their draft class pretty much eats their entire cap space away.  And the only real notable contracts that they can alter to address their cap space is the Bakhtiari contract.

This is what worries me. Green Bay is okay with moving on from Rodgers or letting him play for them. If they don't get what they want they have zero incentive to just give him away for anything less. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the way I see it is if the Jets miss out on Aaron Rodgers, they're probably on the outside looking in with the QB carousel unless you're wanting to spend big money on Jimmy G.

The problem with the Packers eating more of Rodgers' cap hit is that they're already going to have a $40.3M dead cap if they trade him.  And they're around $16M in cap space right now.  That along with their draft class pretty much eats their entire cap space away.  And the only real notable contracts that they can alter to address their cap space is the Bakhtiari contract.

Sounds like you guys need to not take as much trade compensation then. I don’t see with us as the only suitor overpaying. I also think GB fans need to go look at our GMs trade history and see that he’s pretty much never lost a trade or overpaid.

I see it as you guys have to be ok with a trade more along the lines of 2 2nds. And if you want a 1st you better take on some of his money. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is what worries me. Green Bay is okay with moving on from Rodgers or letting him play for them. If they don't get what they want they have zero incentive to just give him away for anything less. 

That smells like a leverage play, but I could be wrong.  The consistent reporting is that Green Bay prefers to move on from Aaron Rodgers.  For the most part, that's what majority of the talking heads are saying.  But I think the Packers' FO is reluctant to have the optic that they were the ones forcing Rodgers out.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This.  There's no way a team allows another team to talk to their player without having a rough framework in place.

That’s what I figured. But you never know given Rodgers still technically hasn’t informed anyone if he plans on playing or not.

And this is where he still has a hand to play if GB is being stubborn with him. Is the threat of retiring and then paying 100+mill for a guy retired.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Sounds like you guys need to not take as much trade compensation then. I don’t see with us as the only suitor overpaying. I also think GB fans need to go look at our GMs trade history and see that he’s pretty much never lost a trade or overpaid.

I see it as you guys have to be ok with a trade more along the lines of 2 2nds. And if you want a 1st you better take on some of his money. 

The argument needs to be used both ways then.  If your Plan B is an oft-injured QB who couldn't win with a strong run game and a top notch defense, what makes you think he's going to suddenly manage to stay healthy and win when he couldn't do that in San Francisco.  Both sides have leverage, and both sides don't.  The notion that the Jets are "fine" without Rodgers is mind-boggling to me, and not just because I'm a Packers' fan.

And we already are eating money.  $40M+ in dead cap.  $15.2M is a bargain for a QB of Rodgers' caliber.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The argument needs to be used both ways then.  If your Plan B is an oft-injured QB who couldn't win with a strong run game and a top notch defense, what makes you think he's going to suddenly manage to stay healthy and win when he couldn't do that in San Francisco.  Both sides have leverage, and both sides don't.  The notion that the Jets are "fine" without Rodgers is mind-boggling to me, and not just because I'm a Packers' fan.

And we already are eating money.  $40M+ in dead cap.  $15.2M is a bargain for a QB of Rodgers' caliber.

Maybe our plan B is Lamar. Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s what I figured. But you never know given Rodgers still technically hasn’t informed anyone if he plans on playing or not.

And this is where he still has a hand to play if GB is being stubborn with him. Is the threat of retiring and then paying 100+mill for a guy retired.

Follow the logic.  Why would the Packers allow another team to talk the player they have under contract without having a framework (or frameworks) of a trade in place?  They're not going to run the risk that the Jets and Rodgers collude to keep the Jets from having to pay much to get him.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are nothing will break tonight. Looks like we’ll hear something tomorrow afternoon probably.

My guess is we make a pitch tonight and he sleeps on it and informs us tomorrow.

I feel it was always unlikely that something would break tonight.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this dragged into Thursday or Friday.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Follow the logic.  Why would the Packers allow another team to talk the player they have under contract without having a framework (or frameworks) of a trade in place?  They're not going to run the risk that the Jets and Rodgers collude to keep the Jets from having to pay much to get him.

I get that. And that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel it was always unlikely that something would break tonight.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this dragged into Thursday or Friday.

I do know that teams do have to be under the cap for 24hrs before FA starts for legal tampering next Monday. So I don’t expect it to drag out too long.

As a Jets fan we just want something done already. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are nothing will break tonight. Looks like we’ll hear something tomorrow afternoon probably.

My guess is we make a pitch tonight and he sleeps on it and informs us tomorrow.

AR's heading into a dark closet for the night :)

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I get that. And that makes sense.

And the other problem is that the difference between the '23 FRP and the '24 FRP is still a substantial gap.  If you want to hang onto the 13th pick to help put more pieces around Rodgers?  Sure, but it's going to cost you more in future picks.  It's either less now or more in the future.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I do know that teams do have to be under the cap for 24hrs before FA starts for legal tampering next Monday. So I don’t expect it to drag out too long.

As a Jets fan we just want something done already. 

I think we both agree that it'll likely get done before the legal tampering period, so both teams know where they're going.

37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I agree I feel the same way.