2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

On 4/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, DoleINGout said:

Luke Wypler and Joe Tippmann I’d rather see be the picks over both, Mauch especially. Anton Harrison, Matthew Bergeron, Andrew Vorhees, and Tyler Steen at a later pick or round 2 in a trade down too.

Super hopeful the Pats land one of these guys as far as OL goes.

I think tight end and receiver are the favorites to be the two positions picked tonight before any others. Will Levis is a wildcard.

For IDL, I think there are some big guys worth selecting too that might have caught their attention. Keeanu Benton, Siaki Ika, Gervon Dexter, and Colby Wooden.

Albert Breer last night suggested the Pats ultimately might have traded out of 14 after seeing their guy Van Ness go to Green Bay at 13. Van Ness being a Pats target at 13 would have to suggest their DL is a higher priority if they truly rated him that high because Van Ness himself is not an exceptional player or athlete for a team to pick him instead of addressing bigger areas of need.

That said, edge guys like Byron Young (Tennessee) early second round and Zach Harrison on day two here have some appeal but would be a little surprising choices still over other potions of greater need. Harrison I can see IDL or edge which is unique however so maybe he is an exception. I see Harrison similar to like a Deatrich Wise-lite with more upside. Kind of Judon-esque actually with a hair less twitch/bend. Judon was a fourth or fifth round pick I believe.

Keondre Coburn in round five/four, Zacch Pickens in round five/six, or Byron Young (Bama) in round four/late round three might be a better allocation of resources on DL after assessing their roster needs as it relates to the deep positions in this years class.

25 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think tight end and receiver are the favorites to be the two positions picked tonight before any others. Will Levis is a wildcard.

The next few rounds are littered with tight ends so not even worth mentioning which one they might target. Wise receiver is similarly in its sweet spot as we get into the back of round two. Josh Downs, Jonathan Mingo, Jalin Hyatt (purely athletic profile match) round two targets.

Tyler Scott, Charlie Jones, Rashee Rice, Michael Wilson, AT Perry, Xavier Hutchinson, and Marvin Mims round three targets.

Day three WR targets: too many to narrow down to so just fourth and fifth round: Jayden Reed, Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Trey Palmer, Tre Tucker, Ronnie Bell, Parker Washington, Jalen Moreno-Cropper.

Edited by DoleINGout

Mapu might be a little redundant on the roster with Dugger/Peppers around. Have to wonder how he’ll be used with how much this team seemed to like/rely on Tavai last year, and obviously JB is a staple too. 

If he could be even remotely the Swiss Army knife that Hufanga’s become, then there could be something there. Bit of a reach, but forgivable given the first two picks.

13 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Albert Breer last night suggested the Pats ultimately might have traded out of 14 after seeing their guy Van Ness go to Green Bay at 13. Van Ness being a Pats target at 13 would have to suggest their DL is a higher priority if they truly rated him that high because Van Ness himself is not an exceptional player or athlete for a team to pick him instead of addressing bigger areas of need.

Well this came to fruition. The Mapu pick was predictable based on how much they interacted predraft.

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

The next few rounds are littered with tight ends so not even worth mentioning which one they might target. Wise receiver is similarly in its sweet spot as we get into the back of round two. Josh Downs, Jonathan Mingo, Jalin Hyatt (purely athletic profile match) round two targets.

Tyler Scott, Charlie Jones, Rashee Rice, Michael Wilson, AT Perry, Xavier Hutchinson, and Marvin Mims round three targets.

Day three WR targets: too many to narrow down to so just fourth and fifth round: Jayden Reed, Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Trey Palmer, Tre Tucker, Ronnie Bell, Parker Washington, Jalen Moreno-Cropper.

Still plenty of wide receiver talent left plus Zack Kuntz so got to imagine they hold off with the first fourth round pick. At this stage I hope they target Dawan Jones if he is there still then go after receiver with two of their next three picks in the fourth.

Offensively, Will Levis was the guy I was MUCH lower on than the media, and NFL teams agreed with me as he missed out on the 1st round.

As for defense, I’ve always believed Kelee Ringo couldn’t even cover his leftovers with aluminum foil. He’s a safety and him sitting there in the 4th round is surprising somewhat, but he was my least favorite prospect amongst guys that were getting hyped up. I never seen it with him

LSU WR Kayshon Boutte and Purdue WR Charlie Jones are too guys I’d like to see the Patriots draft today.

I honestly love what Bill and Matt and the rest of the team have done for New England defensively.. BUT, at some point, we have to find guys that can attack defenses and add something to our skill players around Mac Jones.

Maybe Jerry Jeudy or Courtland Sutton trades are unrealistic if talking about moving just 2023 draft picks; however, maybe KJ Hamler or even Tim Patrick (if they’re healthy enough to pass a physical) could be options to add to the room.

Patriots sitting with 9 draft picks to start the day off, including four in Round 4 and four in Round 6. I’m sure we’ll see some sort of wheeling and dealing today, at least. It’ll likely be just for draft picks, I’d imagine.

I don’t actually foresee New England acquiring any players already in the league via trade today, personally. However…

How would we feel about a possible trade for Bengals LT Jonah Williams? I don’t know what it would take, but it seems like a split is inevitable with that pairing

New kicker for the Patriots comes in a significant way, with a trade up partnership with the New York Jets.

Nick Folk can throw the towel in. Justin Rohrwasser didn’t work out. Quinn Nordin didn’t work out.

4 years at Eastern Michigan and then a final season at Maryland, Chad Ryland was 180-185 on extra point attempts in his collegiate career.

He has the clutch factor in him as well. Nailed a game winning 24 yard field goal as time expired vs. Purdue.

Career long field goal is 55 yards.

I’m sure we’ll see the punter position addressed today, also.

13 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

New kicker for the Patriots comes in a significant way, with a trade up partnership with the New York Jets.

Nick Folk can throw the towel in. Justin Rohrwasser didn’t work out. Quinn Nordin didn’t work out.

4 years at Eastern Michigan and then a final season at Maryland, Chad Ryland was 180-185 on extra point attempts in his collegiate career.

He has the clutch factor in him as well. Nailed a game winning 24 yard field goal as time expired vs. Purdue.

Career long field goal is 55 yards.

I’m sure we’ll see the punter position addressed today, also.

Feel like this is worth adding to the notes on Ryland selection